On the weekend, it was my 12th Wedding Anniversary. I'm not sure where that time has gone, and I'd like to state, for the record, that I was a child bride. All right, maybe not a child, but I certainly look pretty young in the photos from the big day.

So, to celebrate, Mr AV and I went out to dinner at Celcius in the city for a 5 course degustation. For some visuals, this is what I wore:


I wore a Lela Rose dress, fishnets and my black patent peeptoe Bally heels. I nearly crippled myself on Saturday morning tripping over in the dressing room and have done something painful to my foot. Don't think that prevented me wearing my extremely high heels to dinner though. I never give in. Mostly because I am 5'4" and Mr AV is 6'1". 

Started the night with a glass of Veuve


Crab Bisque with fancy cracker things and panacotta something or another and lots of that dust that is so popular at the moment.

Lamb with miniature vegetables. More dust.


Food was excellent. 

And to take a trip down memory lane, here is me arriving at the church 12 years ago. I was very lucky that for my "something borrowed" I had a few family heirlooms (sadly not a tiara, dammit). My veil arrived in South Australia in 1836 with my Mother in Law's family and has been passed down through the women in her line. It's Brussels Lace, and is very fine and fragile. And beautiful. I was very lucky.


Another borrowed was a sterling silver Victorian posy holder. It was carried by my mother on her wedding day. I'll try to get a picture of it next time I'm up at my Dad's, but it has fern leaves and grasshoppers up the side. I had Lily of the Valley for my bouquet. I know my dress looks unoriginal now, every dress you see is strapless and draped to the side, but take my word for it, it was very cutting edge at the time. 


Bridesmaids wore pale green silk and carried posies of Pierre de Ronsard roses.


And we had the reception at my Parent in Law's house, where we kicked up our heels on the dance floor in a Marquee.

Hilariously, when I went to the hairdressers the other day, I was telling her that I'd been married 12 years ago, and that my photos were not digital because they didn't have digital cameras back then, and, I kid you not, she gasped. She also was incredulous that my wedding research was all done from Martha Stewart Wedding magazines, as no one had a website. It was The Dark Ages, well before Pinterest. 

Anyway, enough trips down memory lane. I need to get on with the business of organising a 7th birthday party...busy week ahead!


22 comments:

  1. I don't know how we survived in the dark ages with no internet, blogs or pinterest for all our ideas and planning!
    Congrats on 12 years- you looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right Deanne! No doubt I would have been over ambitious had all those things been around....it was all a little simpler. xx

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary ; what a gorgeous bride you made !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Silver Bunny, you are very kind x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations. I was a child bride also. You certainly had some lovely "something old[s]", and as a tiara-wedding-day-wearer, thank the heavens you did not have one handed down to you. In case you were wondering, they are not timeless and there will never ever be a photo of my wedding day on my blog! Kx (The Blog a House Built)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky with my "olds". The tiara I had in mind would be, say, a Cartier one. Sadly none turned up in the family. Good to know you're a fellow child bride! xx

      Delete
    2. Young, stupid and in love. Best thing that ever happened to me.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! I love the veil, so beautiful. My mother encouraged me to wear a veil advising "they are so handy, mossie net for babies cots, your father uses it when robbing the honey from the bee hives, I cover Christmas lunch with it" etc! Suspect hers may not have been as fine and precious as yours. Your dinner looked delicious and you are still looking über youthful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so funny JMac. I'm very glad my Mother in Law's family didn't do that with their veil! My mother sort of did that with her wedding dress - it was Thai silk with real silver medallions hand embroidered on it, and very 1960's. I would totally have worn her dress (we were the same size/ height), except she decided to get a bit more use out of it, so shortened the train, took the sleeves out and lowered the neckline to make it a ballgown and some of the fabric into cushions. By the time I saw it, it was ruined. Mine is being preserved for posterity in a box somewhere at my parent's house as I thought my daughter might want to wear it. As she is already tracking to be very tall, that's fairly unlikely! x

      Delete
  5. Congrats - beautiful bouquet and veil! Your look has stood the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SF, it's not too cringe worthy, so I've been lucky! x

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos, especially you with the gorgeous family veil. I can't believe it is from 1836! Your dinner looked fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FiFi - the veil is in very good condition considering it's age. Dinner was yum xx

      Delete
  7. You looked gorgeous 12 years ago and gorgeous on Saturday night! I'm curious as to approx what age defines a child bride? I had just seen mid 20 when I walked down the aisle.....amongst my friends that was considered young! Your mum's bouquet holder is utterly stunning and what a beautiful yet simple choice lily of the valley was. I too wish that I had had a real no holds barred diamond or even diamond and pearl tiara for my er, strapless silk wedding dress.....I would still be wearing it now! I've tried convincing my husband to start gifting me bracelets, necklaces and earrings that can be joined together to make a tiara yet he hasn't picked up on this idea.....yet! I live in hope. Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was 25 - which was on the early side for our friends too. Most of them married in their 30's, we've only just had the weddings slow down in the past two years. So, not really a child...it just makes me feel old to think I've been married so long! And laughing that you had a strapless dress too... I had a theme (in my head) of "Spring Ball". The tiara would have topped it off. And as for jewels, my Father very helpfully informed Mr AV that "Jewellery is a very bad investment. When I realised that, I stopped buying it for her mother". Mr AV stuck to my father's words of wisdom until fairly recently when I've been lucky (although I live in hope something from Cartier will materialise one day!). xx

      Delete
    2. Hmm yes, I've had to produce babies in order to receive significant jewellery although can't complain as we went to Antwerp after the birth of number four and I scored something with the same number in it! Hard work though! Good luck with the Cartier! Rx

      Delete
  8. Love that you took pics of the food at Celsius Heidi. When I first started doing that MOTH gave me heaps. But now he looks at everything in life as a possible blog post - I wonder how long before you hear those magic words from Mr. AV 'Hey Heidi, there's a blog post in that!' You were a gorgeous bride.
    Millie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far Mr AV is finding it all quite amusing. He can't believe that anyone is remotely interested in photos of flowers, my outfits or what I ate (and maybe they aren't?!). Funnily enough the table next to us were both whipping out their phones and taking photos of each of the 8 course degustation that they were having......it made me feel quite comfortable doing the same! xx

      Delete
  9. What a stunning bride you were, Heidi. I was only a year ahead of you, aged 28. The posy holder is such a precious piece. And the Pierre de Ronsard roses have me swooning, as always. J x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Pierre de Ronsard roses - I've planted a bush in our house (still very small) and it does remind me of the day. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Blog Archive

Things to read....

.