via David Austin Roses
Yesterday is an appropriate title for this post for many reasons.

Yesterday, the very kind Romy posted about my fairly poorly designed and fledgling blog, which has seen my viewing numbers skyrocket from a few robot computers in strange places like South Korea and Russia and a few real Australian viewers (likely just me looking at my own blog) to real people who have read my posts, joined as followers and left some lovely comments. Such a very nice surprise at the end of what was a very sad day for me.

Yesterday morning my beautiful mother died from Cancer. I started the blog as a bit of a distraction as for the past week I have been sitting by her bedside with my two Sisters and Father, waiting. It was much nicer to think about gardening and pretty things when taking a break from the hospital vigil.

I will not write a eulogy to her here, maybe I will do that some other time when I have had more time to settle my rather jumbled thoughts. I will say that she was an extraordinary person though, and I was so very lucky to have had such a wonderful Mother.

When my Mother first became ill a year ago, she was initially in a shared room with another lady on the Cancer ward of a hospital in North Adelaide. There was a constant stream of friends coming to visit, and masses of flowers delivered every day. We were sitting by her bedside all that first week (she was very unwell and not conscious for that time), and I remember apologising to the lady in the other bed as my mother was finally given a private room and moved, saying that at least she would have a much quieter time without everyone traipsing past her bed to my mother. She said "I didn't mind in the least. She must be a very special person to have so many friends and family come to see her". And she was.




14 comments:

  1. Oh Heide, you've made me cry.

    I'm so very sorry. You've told me a little about your mother, and I liked her immediately. She sounded like such a lovely person, full of spirit and humour and grace, and of course she liked gardens. So that did it for me.

    They say that God is in a garden. If that's the case, then I think your lovely mother is perhaps there now, smelling the spring wisteria.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Janelle, she did love her Roses too. I'd like to think she's somewhere beautiful when she's not with us. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Heidi, I have tears in my eyes as I type this. I'm so sorry, I know what it's like to loose someone that you love so much to such a cruel disease as cancer. I'm thinking of you and sending all of my love and support from Hobart. Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Romy, I know you've mentioned on your blog that your lost your Father too, I didn't probably comment about it as it was a little close to the bone for me at that time. Thank you again for your lovely gesture of sending people my way - while you had no idea what it would mean on that day in particular, it really made me smile through the tears. xx

      Delete
  3. Heidi - I'm so very sorry to hear of your terrible loss - she sounds like an amazing person. I can only imagine the pain you have all gone through during her illness too. Thinking of you and your family. A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your mum. I just lost my gran, it's a tough time. All the best to you and your family. K (The Blog a House Built)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K, I'm very sorry for your loss too - hope you're taking care of yourself and mostly smiling through the tears. x

      Delete
  5. Just back from a few days away and catching up with blogs.
    So sorry to hear about your Mum, it is such a hard thing to lose a parent.
    My prayers are with you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Deanne.

      Delete
  6. Warmest thoughts to you Heidi at this sad, sad time. I lost my beautiful Mum 24 years ago, she was a very young 64. She is still with me in all I do & probably in a few things I don't!

    These next few months will be difficult, hold your family close to you & laugh & cry as much as you need to. I think Adelaide Villa has come at just the right time, there are wonderful renovation adventures ahead for you & this is the perfect way to record all those experiences. We took 16 years to complete the renovation of our great old return verandah Victorian villa in Unley. I hope your timeline is a jolly sight less. Take care.
    Millie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millie for your very kind words - it's funny that I decided to start the blog when all this turmoil was around, but I think you're right, and I know that with the renovations, and the three children, it will all be a good distraction in the short term. I certainly hope though that the time line for our renovation is a little less that your reno.....I'm not sure how you coped with 16 years of it, you clearly have a level of patience that I don't!

      Delete
  7. Oh Heidi. I'm very behind the news here. I'm so sorry to read about your dear mum. You darling girl. I really feel for you, having lost my Dad in August 2011. I totally agree with what Millie says. Sending you a huge hug from Hobart tonight. J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - as I'm sure you know, it has been, and still is, a difficult time, but it's been so nice to have so much support, both in real life and on the blog. xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Blog Archive

Things to read....

.