With Christmas entertaining approaching, and a definite change in the weather (from mild to Very Hot) in Adelaide (which always signals Christmas to me), I have been thinking about the Christmas table setting as I am in charge of it this year (Christmas will be at my Dad's place in Stirling, and will be fairly traditional as always).

Glamour Drops blog posted quite a funny post on her disdain of the "traditional"Christmas ornamentation that goes on in Australia. Despite temperatures reaching 40C, our shops are full of fake snow, icicles, snowmen and other decorations more suited to a Northern Hemisphere Christmas. I had a little search on the net for more appropriate Christmas decorating inspiration, and here are some that I think are ideal "themes" for a beautiful Australian style Christmas table.

I've also included invitations from Paperless Post, so if you're doing a drinks party for friends, and would normally send out an email, these are a great way to send out something a little more special, with not a lot of effort.

Firstly, the Neutral/ Natural Christmas - white/ burlap/ pinecones/ branches/ greenery/ candles. This can either be quite formal or a casual look depending on your china and cutlery and whether you set it indoors or out. If you don't have fir or pinecones (which we have in ample supply in Stirling), then English Box balls or mini topiaries also look fabulous.

via Paperless Post




via Paperless Post









Seaside themed Christmas - whites/ blues/ washed out timbers with natural elements such as seashells/ coral/ driftwood. I love these shell trees, and the sea urchin one too

via paperless post









Colourful Christmas - there is a lot of fluoro colour around this year, I've even seen plastic neon trees, and if you have an all white interior, this is a great way to make a statement with your decorating.  Black and Spiro always do beautiful Christmas windows full of colour and life, with not a snowman to be seen (their tree from a few years back is down lower), and this beautiful hot pink/ orange and turquoise table setting (I think it might be by Eddie Ross?) would be fab for Christmas day





Source: flickr.com via Adelaide on Pinterest

via Absolutely Beautiful Things blog

Via Paperless Post

I think I'll be embracing the setting and going with the more natural theme, there are ample fir boughs (in fact we cut down a tree from the garden each year for the Christmas tree) and pinecones and holly, and the more English style of house that my Dad lives in suits a slightly more traditional style.

What's your Christmas look going to be?



17 comments:

  1. I'm attracted to a bright table but we might go with metallics a la last year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought the brights for you would be the definite go! I thought the first table with the lovely pink lacquered chairs was right up your alley. xx

      Delete
  2. I agree...I have never understood the snow-themed "stuff" , when our Christmas' here are celebrated in the heat of summer. Completely crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe when it's hot some people think the snow theme has a cooling effect??! It's slightly ridiculous (although if you google images for "Australian Christmas" as I did, you get a lot of pictures of girls in red bikinis on the beach with Santa hats on. Seems we don't have much of an alternative!). xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you come up with Deanne! xx

      Delete
  4. They look lovely. Love the invites too. For the first time in about 5 years I don't have to host Christmas lunch which is lovely. We will be at my in-laws. My MIL is very English and hence the decor will be traditional.

    I am hosting a casual soiree on Christmas Eve (a sneaky way to make sure we have some hands on deck once the children are in bed as Farmgirl has a large trampoline that needs assembling....) I was planning to do the burlap/natural theme for this as the plan is to be outside.

    I love Christmas - our house is all decorated already.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea re the trampoline - I had a friend who spent around 7 hours trying to assemble one on Christmas Eve.... You've got to post some pics of your decorations. We've done nothing. I have a strict December 1st rule, and as we get a real tree any earlier means a dead Christmas tree in the photos of Christmas morning! xx

      Delete
  5. I hadn't really decided on a colour theme but after reading your post I've decided to embrace the bright side this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love all the brights. They'd look great in your white interiors xx

      Delete
  6. Heidi, you so many lovely festive images on this post. I am quite excited about decorating our tree on Saturday, however I think the tree from Absolutely Beautiful Things looks delightful - so colourful and fun. Hope you were all ok with the hideous heat wave today! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're getting our tree this weekend too! Decorating it with kids is highly overrated (think smashed ornaments and tantrums) so wish me luck! Yes, heat was horrendous today, we've just had the school carols night...not the best considering it was still around 36 or so! xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Heidi,
    Such pretty images! When I grew up we had the same decorations on our table every year - same placemats, some very spectacular tinsel, paper mache Santa boots filled with nuts..although it was predictable it was part of the tradition.
    I sometimes think how my Mum (and maybe others too) had it right in that regard-they had the decorations sorted out for years without any further fuss or shopping needed.
    This isn't a critism of people who like to do different themes each year-good on you all! I think the creativity is marvellous, as long as you also look after yourselves and enjoy the process!
    Cheers, Renie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renie, We pretty much always had the same decorations as a kid too. I think the change of decor every year thing is probably motivated by magazines/ pinterest etc, plus access to a greater variety of decorations. There was a woman I worked with in Melbourne who would completely change hers every year - different baubles for the tree/ table decorations etc etc. I remember finding it quite strange (but as I didn't decorate much for christmas I hadn't given it much thought at that point). xx

      Delete
  8. Can't wait to see what you come up with, I'm sure it will be gorgeous. I have very limited motivation to put the tree up after 20 months of renovating, but I think it a parental responsibility if nothing else. Mine will be filled with homemade goodies collected over the years, from kindy, pre-school, school, overseas travels and the like. My tree just looks like a glitter vomit actually... Kx (The Blog a House Built)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends does two trees. The perfect one in the living room, and the kids ornaments go on their tree in their bedroom! She's a little bit controlled about her decorative style, and I asked her what she was doing with all the stuff that comes home from Kinder/ childcare/ school and that's her solution. xx

      Delete
  9. LOve these beautiful pictures and inspiration! Thanks for the Paperless Post tip, what a great idea!
    I'm not feeling the magic this year so will let my youngest decorate the tree this year. It should be interesting!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

About Me

My Photo
Architect, Interior Designer, Mother of three, Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....