The smallest room in our soon-to-be-started extension is the Powder Room. It's going to be carved out of a corner of what is currently our kitchen. The new kitchen is going to be in the new extension, and the current room will be stripped out to make a new bedroom for S., minus a small corner which is being sacrificed for the Powder Room.


As this space will be strictly off limits to the children and their friends, I am planning to make it an adult space. In terms of Architectural features, it is having a Velux skylight (fixed, not opening), as natural light is important to me in all rooms of the house, and I don't like Solartubes, which give light via a diffuser in the ceiling. I like to see the sky.

The toilet is the same Duravit one that I bought on super sale at Mary Noall in Melbourne nearly 2.5 years ago and put into the other bathrooms. I like back- to- wall toilets with simple lines - easy to clean, no strange ridges to collect dust etc. It's modern, but fairly simple.

The handbasin is going to be this cheapie from Recollections on sale for $99 "The Manhattan". It's fairly classic in style, which is what the front (old) part of the house is stylewise.


The taps are probably going to be this Perrin & Rowe set in the unlaquered brass. It will age nicely and match the mirror that I'm planning to buy. Taps are hard in Australia - we have very strict plumbing standards, the highest in the world. This means that you can't just import taps from overseas - the plumber will not install them as they have to warranty and certify all their work, and the overseas taps don't comply. Our ranges are somewhat limited because of this, but it's gradually improving - overseas manufacturers are lifting their standards to ours. Other accessories, such as the toilet roll holder etc, will match the selected taps.
The mirror above the basin is the big budget part - I'm planning to buy a really beautiful antique mirror. I've been looking around, and while I'm not in a rush, I really like this one which I've found locally: a c1880's French cushion style mirror (it's 3 Dimensional as it angles out) with its original mirror (nicely spotted with age) and its original gilt finish, rubbed off in places, which I also like.




On either side of the mirror, I'll do wall sconces, and I've been looking around and think that these ones from circa lighting in the US might do the job in the antique hand rubbed brass finish, rather than this pewter finish. This may change however, I'm not totally sold on these.


To make this tiny space more interesting, I'm going to wallpaper it. Unfortunately the more flamboyant styles of wallpaper that I favour have been vetoed by Mr AV. He is strongly anti- flowers, so anything he considers too "pretty" is not allowed. Boo. Ideally, I would like De Gournay wallpaper, but it does seem like a little bit of overkill considering that it's around $1500 per sheet of wallpaper... so it would still cost a small fortune even for a tiny room. One day I will have it....



Continuing on in a more modest budget, I'm thinking that this Schumacher grasscloth with a subtle pattern of leaves (and maybe a stylised flower that Mr AV won't notice). It won't be this colour, likely one of the other two colour backgrounds, smokey grey or a sea glass blue/green.



And here is the one I'd love to put in: Brunschwig & Fils "Kanchou". So beautiful with its cockatoos and foliage, but vetoed at this stage by mean Mr AV.


So that's the plan for the smallest room. Now I just have to complete all the details for the larger spaces....

18 comments:

  1. I've been obsessing over wallpaper lately too...to line wardrobes with! I was a bit shocked at $400 a roll but $1 500! Oh my, it must be spectacular! I love all your selections appart from the sconces...definitely keep looking...I was unaware of the 'why' behind our limited tapware here; interesting to hear it's an Australian Standards restriction. Somehow that makes me feel better about it. My hubby has veoted few things so i try to respect his opinion when he airs it though i find the 'plant a seed' method quite successful in that, bombarded by choice (which he avoids by letting me have what i want) he inevitabally agrees or 'comes up with a great idea', the seed I sowed originally. LOL! x KL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $400 a roll is fairly expensive KL, so it must be nice! The De Gournay is hand painted in China to order, so each piece is individual with no pattern repeat. It is so very beautiful in person. One day!

      Our range of choice is very frustrating in Australia, especially now that the internet has opened up borders and we can see the choice available in the big wide world, just not actually obtain it!

      Unfortunately Mr AV thinks he should have been an Architect too. He shows very little interest and is perfectly agreeable most of the time, but when he says he doesn't like something, that's pretty much it. We've had quite a few arguments over the (still unfinished) kitchen design. Ironic given he doesn't actually cook, at all....! You're obviously more persuasive than I! xx

      Delete
  2. Dear Heidi

    Your powder room will be stunning. Can understand why you'd like the wallpaper with the cockatoos and foliage, so beautiful! (Have to admit to a weakness for de Gournay wallpaper too, so very romantic - but my husband's Scottish side would have a conniption at the cost). The French mirror is lovely.

    Attended a book launch this evening and found a copy of "The Hare with Amber Eyes". Interested to read that it was the Ephrussi family. Have visited the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild on Cap Ferrat a couple of times, lovely gardens owned by another branch of the family I think, also the fascinating Villa Kerylos nearby at Beaulieu, its owners were related by marriage.
    Last year in Paris we went to the beautiful Musee Nissim de Camondo - another rich Jewish banking family with a fairly similar story. Worth visiting next time you're in Paris.

    Look forward to reading the book after I've finished my current tome, a biography of Lady Ottoline Murrell and her literary/artistic salon(frenemies with the Bloomsburies and lover of Bertrand Russell et al). Best wishes, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll absolutely love "The Hare" Pamela, and I've almost finished the Anna Funder that I'm reading, so any suggestions for me for my next book would be gratefully received!

      The houses the Ephrussi family owned were absolutely stupendous. You'll probably know their home in Vienna too. I tried using the B&F cockatoo wallpaper in at my parent's house first, in their Dining room years ago when we were doing the renovations, but the pattern repeat was so large, and their ceilings so high that it was too expensive. I might sneak it in somewhere that my husband won't notice, like the laundry! xx

      Delete
  3. I love this look....fingers crossed you can get the B & F wallpaper across the line! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say it's highly unlikely in the powder room. I think the seagrass wallpaper is probably my best shot. Or stripes. He likes stripes unsurprisingly. xx

      Delete
  4. It is lovely following your blog at the moment as we are doing very similar things Heidi! Mr R-I is also staring at me with vacant eyes when I go into raptures about the powder room... as does the draughtsman Andy Bell - who is fantastic usually about all of my ramblings .... but seems to draw a line at the powder room! It is a little space where one can really go over the top and get away with it. Yes to the brass and colourful wallpaper and I do hope you can get what you want in the end ... well sort of! I also love the B&F wallpaper... and there are no words when it comes to de Gournay ... Jennyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it's really a totally separate space from the rest of the house, and I want to make it feel special, rather than like a cupboard (which I think small spaces can end up feeling like if you're not bold in your choices). Brass does seem to be staging a come back in the design world - it's been chrome for so long, looks like everyone will be throwing out their chrome fittings soon! I remember seeing gold plated, modern style (ie squareish) taps and spouts in Melbourne at Designex around 3 years ago and thinking how odd it looked.... takes a while for these things to catch on and look 'normal'! I'm looking forward to seeing your plans too Jenny! xx

      Delete
  5. I love this post Heidi! What a bargain to find the handbasin for $99 - it looks like it will fit in perfectly with your vision for the room. Love your choices of taps, mirror and wall paper especially. I hope you can come to some sort of compromise with the wall paper with Mr AV - perhaps once he gets the 'vision' of the whole room, he could be persuaded? :)
    Can't wait to see this room eventuate. K x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verrry unlikely that Mr AV will come around. I may be able to swing it as we're having such a huge argument over the kitchen, that if I concede to his preferred kitchen design, he may compromise on the wallpaper.... we'll see! xx

      Delete
  6. I love reading these posts, feel as though we are there with you,planning it, stage by stage.Can't wait to see the "after" pictures.
    Just a question, I have thought of buying light fittings from the U.S., but what do you do about the different wattage/voltage on their fittings?
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, some suppliers in the US will change it to 240V for the overseas market, others wont. You can have a fitting rewired in Australia - some electricians will do it, or if you find a lighting supply/ restoration store, they can do it. I had an antique light fitting in our house rewired (as it was unsafe) without any problems by a local lighting restoration place. It's not a difficult job, and shouldn't cost you too much. xx

      Delete
    2. thank you as always for replying.I might give it a go as I have seen a light fitting on a U.S. site that I cannot find anywhere here in Australia.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely, lovely project ! That green wallpaper is absolutely stunning, don't settle for less !!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a mirror at recollections today that may suit for a reasonable price, but due to my ongoing IT issues I'll post it on my blog for you to look at. Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting K... I have to go in there tomorrow to pick up the handbasin, so I'll have a bit of a look (and I'm still very tempted by the sunburst mirror. I have the perfect place for it). xx

      Delete
    2. I saw that sunburst mirror, it is divine. I think you should definitely have it. Check out the faux Perrin and Rowe swivel ones if you get a chance and let me know what you think. I'd be saving about $700... So I think tharpt answers my question. Kx

      Delete
    3. Haha - yes, that answers your question!! I'll have a look at it when I get in there. Currently my house is overrun with children (friends to play), so I won't be going anywhere for a few hours xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.