I've always had a thing for Stationery. I remember when I was a child of maybe 10, it was all the rage to collect stationery at my school - pens, special novelty rubbers (that's an eraser to foreign readers with dirty minds...), little note pads and pencil cases, tiny glue sticks and glittery stars to stick on school work, special stickers (my favourite being the ones that you scratched n' sniffed, or with a fuzzy velvet texture to them, or that had an opalescent sheen). Most were adorned with kitschy hearts in pastels (it was the mid 80's) and came via Japan. In fact, my main concern while I was on a holiday through Europe with my mum and sisters aged 10 was to collect stationery that none of my friends would have at home. Forget viewing the Duomo or the Tuilleries. They were a side attraction to my real mission.


Via

Thankfully now I have somewhat more grown up tastes, but I still love to use beautiful paper if I am going to the effort of writing a note to someone in the post. Yesterday, I was reading Tabitha's post where she mentioned taking delivery of new personalised Smythson stationery.... and I started to lust after some for myself. I haven't taken the (rather expensive) plunge myself - I've flirted with small packs of the beautiful notecards. But it may be only a matter of time.



One thing that her post (and the very interesting comments) reminded me, was that stashed in the back of our very utilitarian filing cabinet was the engraved copper plate that was used for our wedding invitations. I was insistent that I had to have "proper" invitations (clearly all that Martha Stewart Weddings reading was going to my head), and the cheaper thermography (where the print is raised above the page using modern inks, but without the use of an engraved plate to do so) wouldn't match in my estimation. So, I duly trundled with my reluctant groom-to-be (he loathed anything wedding planning related, aside from selecting the alcohol and what he was going to wear) down to High Street Armadale in Melbourne, where Paper Impressions was situated at the time, and ordered them. Which meant that when we went to collect the invitations with their stiff tissue lined envelopes, we also received a copper  plate that had been used to make them, the entire invitation on it in mirror image. It was reverentially placed in the filing cabinet, and hasn't seen the light of day since.


My love of proper invitations is so well known that I was embarrassed to find that at my Surprise Birthday party in December, almost every guest told me that there was a really beautiful printed paper invitation that arrived after the initial email from my husband, who had explained that I would be horrified if a proper invitation was not put in the post. Embarrassing. But very thoughtful of my husband none the less.

So, this is the year, I'm going to do something with the copper plate. It's time for it to come out of the depths of the filing cabinet..... maybe I'll have a wooden box made up by the (excellent) Jam Factory in Adelaide with it set into the lid. It's actually quite attractive, but how to use it without verging into the kitsch?

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely keepsake from your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually quite beautiful in person - the ink is still in the letters, and it has a patina to it.... just have to sort out what to do with it other than stash it in the filing cabinet!! xx

      Delete
  2. You could frame it... in a very special frame... deep box-like.... although I like the wooden box idea... to keep your lovely new stationery in!? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought about framing it Jenny, but then thought that the detail is so subtle it would likely be missed.... a Stationery box is a good idea (especially if it comes in a blue box from Smythson) xx

      Delete
  3. love this idea - I say embrace the unique! Luff stationary too. LUFF IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your personalised stationery was lovely (and the thank you note of course FF!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you keep your wedding dress? Maybe the box could be for that - although the copper plate is likely a bit smaller. Or maybe in the lid of a wooden jewelry box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas Liene - I did keep my wedding dress, but it was big and boofy, so it would be quite an enormous (and expensive) box to have made up. A Jewellery box is a good idea though, I hadn't thought of that! xx

      Delete
  6. Heidi, I love Smythson stationery too, but will consider buying some maybe later in the year (will save up first) but it is stunning.

    I loved reading about your wedding day stationery. Your husband clearly did a wonderful job with emails and then invitations for your surprise party!

    Your photos from your holiday looked fabulous. I have never been there but my parents went a few years ago and loved it.

    All the best for 2013! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear January is not the best month to be spending lots of money on beautiful stationery either.... I think saving for later in the year will definitely be more prudent! You would love KI Fifi - it embraces many of your loves - organic produce/ pure environment/ beautiful scenery. Definitely put it on your list for future travel! Happy New Year to you as wellxx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely momento! The box idea sounds nice but to be honest I think I would just lean it up on a table somewhere as part of a pretty vignette. It's interesting and a little bit industrial looking, yet it has personal memories associated as well! xx


    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I found a little stand for it, that would probably work quite well Anna - thank for the suggestion! xx

      Delete
  8. Heidi the invitation keepsake is fabulous! Please pleeease share pics of what you end up doing with the copper plate. The Jam Factory are so clever, I am sure that whatever you come up with will turn out beautifully. I love the idea of the copper plate set into the lid.
    You could use the box to store those special notes/momentoes (somewhere on display of course!)
    K xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely post a pic of it - won't organise it for a little while though, as I won't get into the Jam Factory for another month (waiting for the very loooong school holidays to finish). I'm not sure why I left it in the filing cupboard for so long - too many other distractions. xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.