This post is a bit late from my usual Sunday.... I am blaming the School Holidays and the ensuing chaos.

I placed an order for the first time in the Net-a-Porter US site's sale (Thank you again, Faux Fuchsia, for your services to humanity by alerting me to the fact that the US site of The Outnet and Net-a-Porter will ship to Australia, and are often cheaper) and bought this Lela Rose dress at 70% off. It was $350 and I have two weddings coming up this year, so will get some use out of it. I took a photo of the inside of the dress to show how well it was made - you could basically wear it inside out it's so perfect. Unfortunately the dress is a touch too large, despite it being my usual Lela size....and most unfortunately it's in the bust area - I'll be getting it taken in. Quite a bit. The waist still fits me no problem (who are these skinny pneumatic breasted women that fit these dresses?). It's a problem I've been finding with US designer dresses lately... I'm going to wear it with my gold Kate Spade strappy heels, and probably my pearls.





On to books, and I thought I'd review some of my Summer reading. Whilst in Kangaroo Island I ploughed through a few books:  Maggie Alderson's "Everything changes but you" - this one left me a bit cold, I usually love her books but I found the characters unsympathetic and the ending a little rushed. Peter Carey's "My Life as a Fake", which I loved (loosely based on the Ern Malley hoax, a literary hoax in the 1940's in Melbourne). Bill Bryson's "Down Under" - Hilarious, and very interesting, part travelogue and part history of Australia. I hate to say it, but I did learn a lot. Anna Funder's "All that I am" which I am half way through, and enjoying so far....


Some Christmas design books - Bobby McAlpines "The Home Within Us" completely irritating, babbling text, I stopped reading. He does very good roofs though, so I like the pictures. Bunny William's  "An Affair with a House", where the importance of collections and Antiques are demonstrated in her own beautiful home to give personality and layering to spaces. "The Private World of Yves Saint Laurant and Pierre Berger", pure eye candy. They had the most extraordinary homes filled with museum worthy pieces. Loved it


Mr AV and I went to see "The Life of Pi" on Wednesday and LOVED it. It's the sort of movie that you keep talking about after. For days. The cinematography is spectacular and a definite must to see in 3D.

And I bought a hand basin for the powder room on the weekend. I went into Recollections/ Early Settler, a place I have never deigned to shop before (I am a design snob from way back), and was surprised at the stuff they had - some items were quite good, and without designer shop price tags. This handbasin cost $99. It's on sale (the Manhattan), and I checked it over very carefully, and it's as good as one with an extra zero on the end. Ironically, the taps are now going to cost more than the basin (it comes without taps, which was fine by me as I didn't like their taps anyway). I'll do a post about the plan for this tiny space separately - it's going to have wallpaper, and an antique mirror over the basin. I think it's going to look fab. They also had some quite good mirrors....like the gilt sunburst one below which I could see in our Study.



In renovation news we've appointed our builder (same builder that did the front renovation of our house, but we still did a competitive tender for the job for the back, as it's such a big job). I've been harassing the Engineer to finish up his part of the job so that we can get the Building Surveyor to give approval and then finally start demolition. I'll be very excited when that day comes.... most likely in mid February at this stage. In preparation I've started the big clean up of the kid's playroom and my "laundry" (a notional term as it's just the vile old unused bathroom with my washing machine and dryer shoved in the door). Somehow all that stuff has to fit into the front of the house. Wish me luck!

Hope you had a great week too xx

19 comments:

  1. I love that dress. Very elegant on you. Without wanting to trivialise the frustrations of having an ill-fitting bodice, at least you're in the position of being able to have it altered to fit smaller. Having something made to fit bigger in the bust is nigh on impossible!

    There used to be an Early Settler/Recollections down the road from me, but it's turned into some sort of dime-a-dozen modern furniture place now. I always really loved their bathroom vanities, but thought that all that exposed wood would be really impractical in a bathroom. Glad to hear that the next lot of renovations are taking shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite true Z, just as I hack one meter off the bottom of my trousers (so that the leggy supermodels are accommodated) so too I have to take in the bust area...... it's all just rather... deflating... for want of a better word!! Reno's are slowly coming along. In between supervising WW3 in the playroom at regular intervals today, I managed to draw up most of the Laundry joinery. I'm great at multi tasking! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the basin the frock the books the lot!!

    They all have fake boobs.

    Tis True. That's how the frocks fit.

    Come to Londy with us! I'm going to meet Old Maitai in Paris! If our schedules allow xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was suspicious the American designers were allowing for fake boobs. Frankly, the amount of altering I'm going to be paying for may end up making it cheaper to get fake ones myself!!

      Am DESPERATE to go to London with you lot. DESPERATE. But I just can't in May. Mr AV asked me if I'd go with him in March too when he goes for work, and I can't then either. Sob xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous frock! Am keen to read the Anna Funder and to see the Life of Pi....gave in and took 2 children to see the Hobbit in 3d and it was utterly awe inspiring! I'm with FF...come to London! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop it you two!! I can't go to London - renovations i'm supposed to be supervising & mother in law away and not able to help with childminding mean that I just can't go. It make me very sad. I feel like Cinderella missing out on the ball. And after Mr AV asked me today if I"d like to go in March with him, and I can't I'm feeling particularly green about it all.

      I'll have to go to the Hobbit - H. is desperate to go (I had thought he might be a little young at 7, he'd probably prefer the Lego cartoon version than the real movie). Romy, you definitely need to see Pi - you'd love all the Indian story telling/ scenery. xx

      Delete
    2. Wish you could come. Have declared a temporary hiatus on internet shopping after had to have a dress altered and GIVE a gorgeous pair of pony skin Louboutin wedges to my sister as they were just too big for me yet fitted her like Cinderella....still recovering! Rx

      Delete
    3. Oh dear.... My sister is that happy recipient of a pair of Chloe heels. After wearing them twice with two extra inners in each one, plus heel grips, I admitted defeat. I find shoes the hardest for size actually, and have heard that Louboutins are tricky. I do send back a few things from time to time.... mostly dresses they label as "fits large for size" that somehow aren't on me (one I couldn't actually get up over my knees - no joke. I'm not sure who would it would fit, or who would be able to walk in it! Stupidly I then tried it on over my head, and very nearly got stuck when it wouldn't go over my shoulders naturally enough!).

      Delete
  5. That dress is divine and the colour with the pearls... I Love Bunny's book and still look at it all the time... completely agree about McAlpine's book... the cover is the best part. I bought 4 Manhattan basins from Recollections... they are very sold and have a great look. But try to pick it up yourself and check it in the shop... One of ours had to be returned because the waste hole wasn't right... this was all very annoying as Recollections is in Leichardt and the installation was in Mollymook!!!. Sympathy's with you re London but console yourself with the fact that you have a small waist!!! Believe me, I would trade a trip.. in fact 12 trips to London for a smaller waistline!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The McAlpine book was irritating. He was using a lot of verbose architectural babble, which takes me back to pretentious lecturers from my University days. I will def. check over the basin when it arrives - they are back ordered until February, so I'll be going in to collect it then (and from there it will go into the shed with all the other stuff waiting for the renovations). You'd only trade London for your waist because you go all the time! My trip last March was the first time I'd returned in 13 years, and I loved it....I do miss travel! xx

      Delete
    2. Upon re-reading my comment, I want to apologise if I sounded flippant or condescending...It was a poor attempt at being humorous. Sorry Heidi! xx

      Delete
    3. Don't worry Jenny, I thought it was funny - i knew where you were coming from!! xx

      Delete
  6. That dress is lovely and thank you for the book titles tips.
    I also remember reading FF's tips about Net a Porter international. Could you tell me what you typed in exactly to get to the site...I have just tried and just to see if I did it correctly, your dress came up at U.K. 476.00 pounds, sale price.
    Obviously, I am not on the same site as you got onto even though I googled net a porter international..don't know what to do next.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, when you go into Netaporter or TheOutnet, there is on the top left hand corner a "Location" button, which will say Australia. You need to click on the Australia bit and it will bring up a world map - hover over the US section and you can change it to the US. It looks like you won't be able to ship outside the US, but when you go to check out you can still put in your Australian details and they'll ship to you. It's actually a completely different site - you'll have to enter your details in for a sign in again. Shipping is slightly more expensive than the UK site (which is the default for International orders), but they do different sales etc and carry different stock (they have a warehouse based in New Jersey). I'm very sorry, but the Netaporter sale in the US finished last week - the day before I bought the dress - they match the US sale with other US sales.... if you wait another week or two, they'll drop the prices on the UK site. I've found that it's often just as cheap, or cheaper to buy on the NAP sale, then wait 6 months for it to pop up on theOutnet site. Hope that helps! xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for replying...and yes, it does help me if not for now, then for future reference.

      Delete
  7. The dress is lovely, you will have to show us again when it is altered!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore the basin and I love Recollections for classic style things at a great price. It will look stunning with a beautiful mirror and tapware. Pretty dress too - shame about the size! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was v. surprised at Recollections... I'm still contemplating that sunburst mirror, it was quite nice in person. xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.