I am living with a small, and imperious Marie Antoinette double.

E, like many little girls, is obsessed with Cinderella. We don't do Disney princesses in our house, and so her obsession has centred around her Fairy Tale book and the illustrations therein. For Christmas, she requested a "dazzling dress of gold and silver", exactly like the illustration in the book. It was a tall order, but Santa managed to deliver, after trawling the internet and using his re-shipper in the US. The other costume request was to look like what Cinderella wore to her wedding in the illustrations (the pink version). She has been almost living in the costumes ever since, and is often heard to say things like "I have to go to my palace now" before disappearing into her bedroom. Here she is dressed up with her little friend H.


We had friends over for lunch, so I made the yummiest Asian style chicken mango salad. It was from the December issue of Delicious magazine, and is extremely easy (especially if you have a Thermomix, as I did all the dressing and the chopping of vegetables in it, so it took no time). Perfect for a hot day as you poach the whole chicken, rather than roasting it.


And to go with the Marie Antoinette theme,  I made this retro style Trifle in my new Birthday Trifle bowl. A good trifle is hard to beat, and I like things that are made well in advance, so that I can concentrate on taming the chaos in the house before the guests arrive. I think the sponge layer was a little thick, but no one complained.


Last night we went to a dinner party at a friends house. I decided to wear this outfit, which I cobbled together from mostly Very Ancient clothes. The emerald green silk Kate Spade top was new this past season, but the black wide legged, high waisted trousers were from Saba, circa 2000 and I decided to wear a gold Oroton bracelet and the matching large clip on earrings that were given to me in 1991. The big earrings worked....so I declare that the Big Earring has staged a comeback. And after all of you told me to get over my strange foible with the Chanel belt, I wore it as well (1989). I had on black patent Bally peeptoe heels, and carried a black patent Jil Sander clutch. It's a fairly depressing thought that I now have clothing that can be classified as vintage that is in fact sourced from my own wardrobe from its first time around. It also proves the point though, that quality lasts (and can be brought out again once the fickle wheel of fashion has turned once more).





And a few garden shots for you to enjoy. My garden is looking scorched in some parts, but in others has flourished. I love Sedums, and the Autumn Joy is standing at over 1 metre tall. The green flower heads will turn a deep burgundy/ purple colour in Autumn.


Next to it is another Sedum (can't remember the name) which has really interesting stem and flower head colour


And Sedum "White Iceberg", which will turn white in Autumn.


A few little David Austin "Sharifa Asma" buds


Lambs ears "Big Ears" (extra big), against the Ecchium (which just keeps growing and growing. If you want an immediately established look to your garden, you can't go wrong with this plant. Mine is now almost 3 meters in diameter) with Black Knight Salvia.


And for a slightly depressing before and after, here is a picture of how the entry was looking to our house. One of my large English Box topiaries, which I had nursed to its enormous size for the past 18 years suddenly turned up its toes and died (I think it was a fungal infection. The other one half died). Dead plants are not a particularly welcoming entry to a house, so after a few months when it became apparent it was not going to miraculously come back to life I took one of my Birthday gift vouchers to The Conservatory (favourite garden shop), and bought two new black glazed terracotta pots and planted some yew trees in them (given to me by Dad, who has assured me I can clip them to any shape I like). 


 Much better! Now to decide what shape to train them into....



Hope you all had a great week xx


26 comments:

  1. luffed this post, great outfit, great kids, great plants, great food x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FF, hope you had a great weekend xx

      Delete
  2. Quality definitely lasts Heidi! I am SO glad you left the Chanel belt on this time, it looks fabulous.
    K xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K, I tried it first without a belt, and it needed something, so the belt won this time! xx

      Delete
  3. That has started happening to me too - I have vintage stuff and things that have gone out and back into fashion within my own closet!! That belt is fab your daughter will be wearing it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I hung onto all the gold stuff during the dark years of the silver obsession... and yes, E will most definitely be eyeing off the belt - she already steals my shoes (even though they don't fit)! xx

      Delete
  4. Love the yew trees and black pots - love a touch of black inside or out.

    I also love your imperious princess. Such fun and a million miles from my home life!

    A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black pots were a definite improvement - the old ones suited our old cottage, and didn't look right at our new house. And nothing says welcome like dead plants, so just shifting them out made a big difference! xx

      Delete
  5. That salad looks delicious! And that trifle! Drool!

    Love the emerald top <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the salad was very, very good. New favourite. Unfortunately I didn't eat the trifle, due to the horrible diet. Apparently it was very tasty. The secret is to make it extra boozy - lots of sherry xx

      Delete
  6. Delightful as always Heidi... Little girls of E's age are so adorable... enjoy her ... it's precious!!. I am addicted to trifles but never seem to manage to make mine as delicious as my Mum did...more booze I think!... Love your outfit... and your frocks... all lovely ... Jennyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother used to make the best trifle - sadly the recipe went to the grave with her though. I definitely recommend lots of booze, plus to leave it for 2 days in the fridge for the flavours to really mingle. Little girls are a lot of fun at this age xx

      Delete
  7. Heidi

    All great! Your outfit with the emerald top and Chanel belt definitely looks brilliant, a stand-out. The girls are so gorgeous too. Little girls and their love of pretty clothes,so adorable. My little grand-daughters (now 8 and 6) are really into pretty things too. The older one wants to be a fashion designer!

    Garden and new pots looks wonderful too.

    Thank you again for recommending "The Hare with Amber Eyes" - just finished reading today and loved it. Such a brilliant exploration of his family and their times, of history and memory, of artistic taste and politics. Understated horror and beauty. So wonderfully and honestly written. I bought it locally but saw from Amazon reviews that many people seemed to find it a difficult read. Don't understand that, found it gripping and induced a lot of reflection. I guess it helped that we'd visited by chance quite a lot of the places in the book conncected with the family: the Villa Ephrussi-Rothschild at Cap Ferrat, the Nissim de Camondo Museum in the Rue Monceau and have wandered the streets of Vienna, including the Ringstrasse, Tokyo and Kyoto. Next time will look for the Palais Ephrussi. Also he referred to Paddy Leigh Fermor staying with the family on his walk across Europe. Not so long ago read the wonderful published exchange of letters between Paddy LF and Debo. Must now also read some of his work and the recently published biog. Hope you enjoy War and Peace. Best wishes, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pamela, I'm so glad you enjoyed "The Hare with Amber Eyes" - I'm not sure why the reviews on Amazon are so mixed either - everyone I know who has read it loved it deeply. You are fortunate to have visited so many of the places described in the book....I have not, but when I'm next able to go to Paris or Vienna, I will be taking the book with me (or to the Met in New York, where so many of the paintings ended up). I'm still waiting for War and Peace to land on the doorstep with a great Thud! I'm almost finished with the Debo book, and there are a couple of essays referencing Paddy Leigh Fermor in the book, which is interesting.... I didn't remember that connection in the book as I read it so long ago....will have to go and refresh my memory! xx

      Delete
  8. I love your entry porch... beautiful. I have always dreamed of living in a house with a lovely entrance like that. And I love the trifle: great inspiration for me since I have a William yeoward crystal fruit/trifle bowl with matching individual bowls which I have NEVER used! Will do this for my next dinner party or brunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte - you own a William Yeoward trifle bowl and have never used it???? You MUST rectify that pronto!! I LOVE William Yeoward crystal - you are very lucky to have a lovely set at your disposal! xx

      Delete
  9. These photos are so fun~

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous (I want that top!) and I love that black and white patio xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww the first picture is adorable!

    www.trendinginfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I've never grown out of my fixation with Marie Antoinette...such a fascinating period of history yet it used to give me nightmares as a child. That salad and trifle look delish and love that outfit...such an eclectic mix of fashion over our generation's known history. Adore Sharifa Asma....so much so that I have a row of 5 standards along one side of the driveway. Sorry to hear about your topiary tragedy, I feel your pain as recently lost my big box chicken, yet your new pots with the yews look wonderful....so much possibility for shaping them.....for inspiration have a look at some of the shapes at Versailles. Rx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good idea on the Versailles thought - I have a beautiful book on Versailles gardens....somewhere in the shed. Might have to go and dig it out. At any rate they grown rather slowly, so I will have plenty of time to think about the possibilities! Have you read Antonia Fraser's biography of Marie Antoinette? I might read it after War and Peace. That should take me up to the end of the year I'd say! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How delightful that the Conservatory is still up and running. Have bought many a plant (and pot) from there over the years, in the many times which we popped back to Adelaide in between living in other climes. Still have a candelabra purchased from there - it's now happily hanging on our dining room wall, above the bar cart which is rather too well stocked. (Can feel a cocktail party coming on, to rectify the situation...)

    I'm all for one's own vintage clothes! I still wear my going away dress, and each time, I will get stopped by a Young Person (aka under 25) and asked "is it vintage?" I roar with laughter, demurely of course, and reply sweetly that yes it is. Your outfit looks very Glam. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been around for so many years now....I can remember when it first opened in the old Butcher's shop further up Unley Road when I was a teenager. Still going, and still chock full of lovely things. As for well stoked bars, I'm quite sure that people would take us for a family of alcoholics.... my husband stocked the bar for my birthday rather too enthusiastically.....we have a lot of leftovers to get through now (think a couple of cases of Gin)!. xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

About Me

My Photo
Architect, Interior Designer, Mother of three, Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....