This week my children went Back to School after the long Christmas holiday. Not a moment too soon. I enjoyed having them all at home, but the sheer bliss of having a quiet house where everything stayed where it was all day, and the fact that no one strew toys all over the place with gay abandon made me quite happy. Not to mention that I had some time to run around and get things done that have been neglected for quite a while.

Firstly, I bought some new Aboriginal art for our house. I went to Better World Arts with my Mother in Law, the Art Expert. It's in Port Adelaide, and is not a fine art experience, such as you'd normally experience in an up market gallery. They deal directly with the tribes in remote Northern South Australia, and it's sort of not for profit (you can read all about their social responsibility program on their website), so the prices are incredibly good - no expensive gallery markup. We sifted through stacks of canvases and I really liked two, by different artists. Prices for these paintings had they been in Melbourne or Sydney galleries would have been quite steep. But they would have been displayed in a Gallery style setting, rather than the somewhat more basic style of the BWA showroom. Once I got them home I did a bit of rearranging. This one by Suzi Price replaces a black and white Jeffrey Riccardo print. So now I have to find a home for that somewhere else.  The colours work really well with the rug.



The other piece of art doesn't have a home yet, it will probably go into the new house extension.

And I wore this when I was out to coffee with a friend during the week. It's been quite unseasonably cool this week in Adelaide. I bought this Chanel style tweedy jacket from Max Mara in the Melbourne boutique on sale last year. When I got it home, I showed it to Mr AV, who said (in an approving way) "Yes, very nice. [pause] Very Julie Bishop". I nearly choked. My visions of chic Chanel style cool, to be worn with Jeans and ballet flats turned into 55 year old deputy leader of the Liberal Party and former Corporate Lawyer style. The other person who commented on how much they liked my jacket, was the woman working behind the deli counter at the Supermarket. I think I need to up the accessories a bit more. Something is clearly not working.


While we were out having coffee in North Adelaide, I spied this lamp post, covered in knitting and crochet. It's called "Knitting Graffiti" or "Yarn Bombing". I'm wondering who is doing this around Adelaide. This is the second example I've spied. The first was a few months ago when I was driving through the centre of Adelaide (Victoria Square) and noticed that the enormous, and dour, statue of Queen Victoria was adorned with a large patchwork knitted cape and crown. It looked spectacular, and was quite an amazing feat given how high the knitter would have had to climb to adorn her. There was no where to stop and take a photo, and the council had removed it by the next day when I went back. Such a shame as the knitting was a big improvement frankly. This lamp post is on Melbourne Street.


Another purchase this week - a Mason Pearson hairbrush for 4 year old E. We have been using mine on her hair for the past few months. She has fat ringlets and quite long hair, which tangles fairly easily. My hairbrush became her brush of choice as she disliked her other brushes tearing at her knots. So I gave in and bought her her own. I was given mine by my parents after they went on a trip to London when I was 13.... which means my brush is 25 years old. All the gold writing has rubbed off the handle with use, but it's still going strong and I can't imagine needing to replace it. It was a Good Purchase.


Continuing the Art theme, this is a drawing that I bought for little S's bedroom (when he gets one of his own, after the extension is completed). I bought it at Tiggywinkle baby boutique in Beatty Avenue, Toorak in Melbourne the week before last. They have really lovely original art for Children's rooms, which are not too over the top price wise. The artist, Emma Turner, is also a botanical artist, and I think you can see that in the beautifully detailed tree and owl. Boy art can be difficult, and I was very pleased with this one, it's sweet without being babyish. It's called "Look who's come to play".


And Mr AV returned from a brief trip to New York today. He brought with him a lovely silver Bergdorf Goodman box which excited me no end. Unfortunately it was not for me. It contained three rather expensive, and boring, ties he'd bought himself. He's in a boring tie phase at the moment. Apparently, it is not the done thing to look "flashy" due to the Global Financial Crisis. They are all in mourning, tie-wise in his office. He also bought himself a new carryon bag from the Tumi flagship store in New York. I still think it's hugely clunky compared to my incredibly lightweight 4 wheeled Rimowa carryon, but it has a million pockets for special things, and has a suit bag built into it, so will work well for him (he never takes a suitcase). So no trinkets for me, but that's ok. I was anticipating that there would be nothing .....I'm expecting a couple of Lela Rose dresses (70% off from The Outnet) to arrive in tomorrow's post as compensation.


Hope you had a good week too xx

25 comments:

  1. Heidi I love everything in this post. The Aboriginal Art is stunning and I am always impressed when I hear about social responsibility programmes. Max Mara is one of my favourite brands and I think your jacket is gorgeous. I only discovered Mason Pearson a month or so ago and purchased one of their combs. Your daughter is very lucky! I am planning on saving up for one of their larger brushes. Most of my wardrobe purchases have been from the Outnet over the past 12 months or so - it is always a bit exciting waiting for the box to arrive! Have a good week xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote of confidence in my Jacket Fifi! Definitely get one of the MP hairbrushes. They are more than worth the money, and definitely a good investment. Love The Outnet. I now shop from both the American and the London sites, as the stock is different (and has different prices). xx

      Delete
  2. I am convinced (now more than ever) that you are a posh version of me. I love aboriginal art and have a large stash awaiting placement in the newly renovated house (mostly from Arnem land and the Merrepen Arts Centre), I would have bought that jacket, in fact I have a number that are very similar; and my husband has just acquired (admittedly via collegues and patients) the most incredibly dull ties that he insists on wearing. Love the art the jacket. Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean posher than you??! Can't wait to see your art etc in place (bet you can't too with 22 months of renovations under your belt). Thanks for the jacket approval. Laughing re husband with dull tie collection xx

      Delete
    2. By the way K, your blog no longer will let me publish a comment. There's something wrong with your new top secret settings. Just thought I'd let you know here, as I can no longer reach you in any other way! xx

      Delete
  3. Love your tweedy jacket. I recently saw one I liked. It was by Hugo Boss, but in a wrong colour. It was pink! And I don't do pink, being a boring person and all.

    I've had my Mason Pearson hair brush for over 5 years now and it's still going strong <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks B! You should expect your MP hairbrush to last at least another 20 years too xx

      Delete
  5. Was v interested in hubby's luggage. Have been trying to source decent, affordable and lightweight luggage for 6-week work trip in April/May/June. Is the Rimowa really good?
    I'd really like a softer canvas bag, as you can't really take cases on puddle-hopper planes (ie btw Boston and Nantucket, or the islands of the Bahamas). And canvas is much lighter than luggage too.
    I notice Sibella Court is going to design some herself and thought I might try too? Have you seen all the new 'doctor' bags that are everywhere - both as weekenders and handbags? They're almost like Elle Macpherson's bag that Hermes designed for her one year.
    Why doesn't someone design a fantastic tardis-style bag that allows you to fit 6 weeks' worth of clothes into a carry-on, all under 7 kilos!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Rimowa - it weighs (I think) 1.8kg with nothing in it, and when I walk through the airport it just glides alongside me - no hauling it behind. For Mr AV, he prefers to pull as he has his laptop bag hooked over the handle. The bag empty is pretty heavy too (but as he never seems to be weighed, it doesn't matter). Maybe you should check out Hunt Leather on Collins Street - they have a good range. I remember Maggie Alderson talking about finally finding her holy grail of a bag a few years ago. It was a duffel bag on wheels, which might work better for you? I got my Rimowa from Hunt, and then was very unhappy to find it at 1/3 the price in Italy.... we get so ripped off here. The Tumi is also double here than in the US. xx

      Delete
  6. I have that pink M and P brush.

    Love the hall rug.

    Luff the jacket too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E loves your blog. If I'm ever reading it, and she's looking over my shoulder she loves the pink, and the picture of Barbie. No surprises there that you're hairbrush twins! xx

      Delete
  7. Hello Heidi - I'd like to add to the love for Mason Pearson. About 10 years ago I bought myself a small brush for my bag and a larger one for home. I'm hoping they'll last as long as yours - I'm sure they will, as long as I don't lose them!
    The painting in your hallway goes perfectly with the rug - gorgeous colours, well matched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new one seems exactly the same as the old one, so it should last just as long I'd think. The art work was a bit of a fluke with the colours. I was not planning to put it there, but it worked so well (and there was already a nail for it) that it's ended up there! xx

      Delete
  8. Love the art.

    Farmgirl has fairyfloss for hair and brushing it is a joke. In the end I bought a lurid pink plastic thing called a tangle teaser which my sitter-in-law had recommended to her when she was in London by the hairdresser that did Kate Middleton's hair for her wedding. (terribly long sentence - sorry) This has been the best thing by far (dare I say it better than the MP hairbrush) and cost $30. When it first arrived it looked so plasticky I thought it would never work. It is brilliant on her hair - so much so that I bought a purple sparkly one for myself (they don't do neutrals!)

    Kids back at school today. Yippee! Already have a lunch arranged with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, tangle teaser sounds very interesting (aside from the colour part. That doesn't sound so good). The MP are expensive, however I have access to them wholesale through a friend. Although it was still fairly expensive. E loves it and spends much time brushing her hair now.

      Enjoy your child free day - lunch will be a lovely treat xx

      Delete
    2. Oh and forgot to say I really love the jacket. And giggled about your husband's comments. At least he didn't say you looked like the PM....

      Delete
    3. True indeed! If he'd said I looked like Julia instead of Julie, that Jacket would have never seen the light of day!! xx

      Delete
  9. I still have my Mason Pearson brush - the one I got as a little girl in a Christmas stocking - and it is used daily. Bit worn around the edges, but still going strong. Boring ties - life is too short - really, what's the point? So little of a man's suit that is interesting (being that most suits are so similar, can't understand why my husband has so many when they all look pretty much the same to me), that a tie is one of the elements which makes it memorable.

    Love your new painting - just stunning. Laughed about the jacket - only us Aussies would get that! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Ties. I keep groaning when he buys yet another sombre and boring tie. Frankly there's not a lot of difference between them all. He also bought one that closely mirrors my old school uniform winter tunic in colour, and it's a colour I absolutely loath. And yes, all suits are the same. He bought a couple of new ones recently and they were both navy. One had a very faint check, so apparently it was "vastly different" to the other plain navy one. xx

      Delete
  10. Mine are finally back at school now too...phew! We had a street knitter in Hobart for a while yet nothing as elaborate as what's going on in Adelaide. Painting looks like it was made for that wall and I had to think for a moment who Julie Bishop was before the full horror of your husband's remark hit...don't listen to him I say! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've got some peace and quiet R.

      I think it would become very demotivating after a while if you put all the effort into knitting and then had it taken down so quickly. I'm hopeful I'll see some more somewhere.

      I must say, I was quite concerned at Mr AV's comment on a number of levels, one being that he thought it was a compliment and was surprised when I reacted with such horror! x

      Delete
  11. Hi Heidi - I just discovered your blog before Christmas and have been enjoying reading about your life and adventures. You have a knack for telling stories. I have been most interested in hearing about your upcoming renovation, as we are just nearing the end of a renovating of a Victorian era home, after several years of plotting and planning. I particularly love sharing your fashion tips and seeing some of your great outfits. Thanks to your recent post, I have discovered Cable and purchased a few things on line last week. Best wishes, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olivia, thank you for your lovely comment, and for saying I have a knack with telling a story...I'll have to let Mr AV know that next time I'm mid way through a story and he cuts in telling me I'm being long winded!! So glad you have purchased from Cable - I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new items, and it's so nice to support a truly great Australian business. xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.