Another busy week - the bulldozers are scheduled to roll in next week to begin demolition of the old playroom and bathroom and start our major renovation, and so I have been cleaning and sorting and moving things in readiness. We won't have access to our entire back garden for the next 6 months, so all the outdoor furniture and plants/ children's toys and laundry equipment has been moved under the side verandas and into the main part of the house in preparation. It's not been much fun. We are now rather squashed in. 

In between all that activity, I have kept on with normal day to day things. I went out to lunch for a friend's birthday on Thursday. After reading Coulda Shoulda Woulda's post on Emannuelle Alt, I felt inspired to become another facsimile of her and to copy her style slavishly, so wore my Max Mara tweedy jacket with a white herringbone Thomas Pink shirt (circa 1999, when they still had real mother of pearl buttons on them), black waxed J Brand jeans, old Chanel belt, pearls and black patent heels. 



I've been cooking up a storm this week. Firstly I made these delicious Country Carrot cupcakes from the After Dinner Mints for Breakfast cookbook (I love reading through it, as it has little stories from each contributor about the recipe and when they've made it, along with a photo). I didn't get to eat them due to the diet, they were apparently delicious as I took them to a school morning tea and came home without any. As an aside, does anyone else find these decorative cupcake wrappers incredibly disappointing? They are so pretty without any cake batter in, but as they do not have a grease proof lining, they loose all the decorative detail when cooking. At least, they do for me.


One of the School Mum's gave me a huge bag of home grown produce on Wednesday, so I whipped up a batch of eggplant chutney.... here it is starting to cook


I also did some slow roasted vegetables with the rest. There's pumpkin, zucchini, onion, cherry tomatoes and capsicum. Just coat in olive oil, lots of sea salt and pepper and roast at 140 C for around 3 hours. Add some fresh rocket, some quinoa or cous cous, avocado and kalamata olives and mix together - no dressing required. Delicious, and often this is my lunch, as well as a yummy and easy side for dinner.


I also had a huge bag of figs from my mother in law's tree, so I made a batch of Fig Jam in the Thermomix, which I reused some old Bonne Mamon strawberry jam jars for. I've stopped buying Bonne Mamon jam... I'm trying to support local producers - we have such great food producers in South Australia. I've switched to Douglasdale jam instead, which is made in Lenswood in the Adelaide Hills. It's very good. Slightly more expensive than the Bonne Mamon, but I think it's actually better anyway.

and now you can see why we are putting in a new kitchen......

Mr AV has gone to London and New York this coming week for work, so we went out to Giallo Wine Bar for dinner on Friday night. I wore this outfit. Yes, you may have seen these photos before. I couldn't be bothered taking new photos of an outfit I've already worn, so here are some from last year instead. Sergio Rossi heels, waxed J Brand jeans, black silk top (Nicholas?) and a sparkly Kate Spade necklace.



If you've made it this far, now is time for my public service announcement. In Thursday's Financial Review newspaper, there was a front page article about a little known law that was passed in Federal Parliament and is now coming into effect. If you have a bank account that has not had a transaction in 3 years, the government will now take the money from it. This is to plug a big budget black hole, so they are clawing money back any which way they can. As no one I've spoken to about it has been aware of this, I just thought I'd put it out there. If you have a rainy day fund, or are overseas and haven't accessed your savings accounts for a while, you may just want to look into it.

Lastly, in reading news, I've started War and Peace, as recommended by Pamela, committed blog comment maker. I'm fairly confident in stating that you will now not hear of me reading anything (other than this book) until the end of the year. I've read just over 100 pages this week... only another 1200 or so to go! The thing about the number of pages is that I'm fairly certain I'll be needing glasses by the end - the type is in absolutely tiny print. I'm going to try to get to a couple of Writer's Week events this week (Writer's Week runs this week, along with the Adelaide Festival and Fringe events - it's a busy time of year in Adelaide.), this will be difficult as there will be a lot of reading temptation in the book tent..... but I'm committed to reading it, and I'm enjoying it so far.


The upcoming week will mark the start of a lot of house renovation talk from me. We are very excited that the back of the house is finally going to begin its transformation. We are not quite so excited that we will be living in the house while this goes on..... We'll survive, but brace yourselves for a lot of boring renovation moaning and groaning!

Hope you had a great week xx

25 comments:

  1. Yum! We need to see more of your everyday cooking.

    Bring on the renovation moaning and groaning :)

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally have a very unappreciative reception for my everyday cooking B! I'm about to serve dinner up to without doubt a round of moaning and groaning from my three!! Can't wait for the reno to start! xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Heidi, I think you outshone Ms Alt! I find she accessories with the same discipline she dresses...I just gotta lose some weight so I can get into my "uniforms"! Those Sergio Rossi's could liven up any outfit I imagine - I gotta get me a pair that has the va va voom like that. Thanks so much for the mention.

    I can't believe that you are able to find the energy to do the cooking and getting dressed while getting ready for reno work! Mind is at least two months away and I am already exhausted...Cant wait to see before after photos - I am such a sucker for those. I even get excited about painting a room.

    War and Peace - well I think we will expect a book report every few chapters.

    I am still in the middle (or beginning-ish) I read it on my iphone while waiting for the tube. I think it will be another few years till I finish. I keep forgetting what happened previously so just end up rereading chapters at a time because I am not that smart to even remember all the characters names. I might do a Woody Allen and when asked about it - just say it's about Russia.

    Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having the same problem with W&P - they're all called Prince xx or Princess xxx and I get them a little mixed up. I think if I don't read it consistently I'll get very muddled. I used to read on the tube. I read so many books when I lived in London... also because the tv was so terrible that "Neighbours" actually did look pretty good by comparison. Hopefully it's improved since then? I have to say, I've pretty much had it with the cleaning up for renovations... I feel like I'm constantly shifting things around, and doing big purges (mostly all the baby gear/ toys, although I always find all sorts of things that survived the last one and that have to go). Kind of you to say that I outshone The Leader.... I think if we did a line up though, I'd stand out like a sore thumb being only 5'4" !! xx

      Delete
  3. Dear Heidi

    The "Emmanuelle Alt" outfit is very chic! Glad to see you're wearing the Chanel belt. Looks really good. Amazed too at all the cooking when the next stage of the reno is looming.

    Hope you finally get to enjoy W and P. Will feel very guilty if you spend the time reading and then don't enjoy. It's not the kind of book you could read on the tube, think you probably need to try to read at least a chapter in one go, rather than 4 or 5 pages before you go to sleep at night. First read it when I was about 17 or 18 at Uni (and then mainly took in the romance). Years ago too I read the whole Forsyte Saga on the Circle Line. Used to be (maybe still is) a very slow line with long distances between some stops.

    Have just finished reading Artemis Cooper's biography of Paddy Leigh Fermor. Fell rather in love with him after reading his published letters to Debo - such a delight (and hers to him, great fun too). Now will read the two volumes where he writes about his walk across Europe. I guess a kind of gap year, but it extended into several years and he never did go to University. He walked (and at times rode,took trains or ferries)from the Hook of Holland to Istanbul. As a teenager he fell in love with an obscure non-royal princess in what may now be Moldova or Rumania and lived with her for 4 years till WWII hostilities were imminent when he hurried back to Britain to enlist. Then had a remarkable war, including kidnapping a German general in Crete. So fascinating. At one point on his walk he stayed with Pips Schey at Koveces - one of the extended family in "The Hare with Amber Eyes". Best wishes, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Pamela, the cooking was procrastination... rather than more cleaning/ sorting/ moving I did Other Things! The deadline is Wednesday, so I have still a small mess to sort through and clear out before then. I am enjoying W&P so far, so I'm sure I will enjoy it all the way along. The Circle line was a slow train when I lived in London 14 years ago too. I'd often avoid it and go a different route as it was quite unreliable. The Cooper biography sounds v. interesting. Shall put it on the list after W&P! xx

      Delete
    2. Heidi
      The biography is interesting but if you haven't already done so, suggest you read the letters first because he really comes alive in these - in all his charm, humour, descriptive power etc: "In Tearing Haste", Letters between Paddy Leigh Fermor and Deborah Devonshire, edited by Charlotte Moseley.

      Must check our bank accounts. It's a bit alarming!
      Pamela xx

      Delete
  4. Love the E.Alt outfit! And what the hell is this law about the bank accounts?? Has it come into effect yet? this is the first I have heard about it. I can't believe that there has not been an outcry about it. Come on Australia, they want us to save don't they?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's coming into effect in May. I'm not sure why no one knows - it's been reported in the media, but not given much attention. The banks don't even seem to have notified customers. I think it's absolutely disgraceful - the people most likely to not know about it, and to have inactive accounts are the elderly.

      Delete
  5. Wow, those shoes are amazing! That cook book has the most beautiful cover, I love stylish fonts, they mesmerise me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're my special shoes - all others must have many occasions to wear them! The girls that put the cookbook together for my friend's charity did such a good job with it - not only is the cover beautiful, but the contents are lovely too. xx

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the reno.
    Your outfit is fabulous!
    The only way I have worked out to use those cases is to cook them in other cases first, then peel off and serve in the pretty cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Deanne. How annoying that another step is involved though!! I might try it next time - it always annoys me that you see them looking perfect in the magazines/ advertisements and then mine always look terrible! xx

      Delete
  7. Jealous re the figs!!! I buy Bonne Mamon. It is the Bomb because the lid is so nice.

    Luff the EA esque outfit .

    After Dinner Mints book is the best (thank you for my copy) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pretty jars sucked me in too. Glad you like the book - saw it in one of your green photos the other day which made me smile! xx

      Delete
  8. Good luck once the bulldozers arrive....remember when we had one at ours and the driver used to give my husband the key overnight so that he and the three year old could play with it! I read 'War and Peace' one summer about fifteen years ago....have recently been having a go at 'Remembrance of Things Past' and made it to page 91 of 1018 before I succumbed to the lure of something else....was surprised how early on the whole madeline thing occurred. The roast veg look delish! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they'll hand over the key to the bulldozer, but I'm pretty sure that the 2 year old will spend a lot of time sitting on it (when it is idle and the owner is gone for the weekend) and making appropriate demolition noises. The roast veg got a lot of mileage - I put the remains of it in a pasta sauce for the kids last night, and they actually liked it (and ate it, all of them, which is very unusual without me threatening something at them). xx

      Delete
    2. Dear Romy and Heidi
      Remembrance of Things Past - it's on my bucket list of things to read too. I think I made it to about the same page as you, years ago. Recently bought Alain Botton's book, "How Proust Can Change Your Life" as an incentive to trying again - but haven't read that yet either!
      Have fun with the bulldozer Heidi! Roast veg looked great!
      Best wishes, Pamela

      Delete
    3. I need to give Alain another try.... I found his tv series much better than the books sometimes (how shallow of me!). I last read The Architecture of Happiness, but found it really dull. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind! xx

      Delete
  9. Hi Heidi, I hadnt heard of the great take back money "scheme" thanks for the heads (or tails) up. How dare they it makes me so angry .

    Ah you gave Faux Fuschia the after dinner mints book, I've noticed it amongst the stack of green books

    Best of luck with the bulldozer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me very angry too smr, and I'll stop there, or this will become a very long politically charged comment!!

      I ran a very unsuccessful giveaway last year (8 entries), and FF was the winner of the cookbook! xx

      Delete
  10. What? Are you serious about this bank account clawback??? How did this not get blasted all over the news....off to check it out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bake your cupcakes in standard cupcake liners, then slip them in to the decorative liners once they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you anon! I shall have to look out for some the same size as the decorative ones next time I'm buying supplies. xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.