It's been a rather frantic week, and I've had not exactly a text book Mother's Day today... although really, it pretty much encapsulated what being a mother is all about.

It started at 6.30am with a chorus of "Happy Mother's Day" from my side of the bed, and school and kindergarten made gifts and cards shoved under my bleary eyes. Around 3 minutes later there were demands for Pancakes for breakfast, and around 30 minutes after that the sporadic breaking up of fights over toys/ positions on the sofa to watch Sunday morning tv.

Unfortunately Mr AV had his Wisdom teeth out on Friday morning and has been a little sub par all weekend. So that meant that rather than enjoying a quiet breakfast in bed this morning, I instead made him some. It's been a weekend filled with making custard and soups, scrambled eggs and bowls of ice cream for the invalid who took to his sick bed, as well as my usual mothering duties to my other 3 children.

We did however celebrate two birthdays this weekend. My youngest two have their birthday's 4 days apart this week. On Saturday, we celebrated E's 5th birthday with a fairy party with her friends. It was completely outsourced due to the ongoing renovations at a kid's party place... in fact this was an excellent decision as not only did the fairy attendees have a wonderful time, but it so happened that the concreters were pouring the stairs that day, so it was rather noisy at our place at any rate. We had themed her party to be "The Magic Faraway Tree", a book she loves and that I also loved as a child, and that it was fairy land at the top of the tree. I personalised the party a little... with my love of stationery I couldn't bring myself to give out the rather awful cartoonish invitations that the party place supplied, so organised our own. I also did the take home gifts, although that was also included in the package deal and thus walked the tightrope balance between landfill and sugar...  difficult!! At any rate it was a great success, and E was very pleased with her party.


So today and the celebration for my youngest, S and his 3rd birthday. I booked a matinee performance of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang the musical for the family to attend today. It was fab! S loved it (with a bit of wriggling in the middle) but we were all enthralled at the car flying across the stage, the fabulous dancing and singing and the toe tapping songs. I highly recommend it to Adelaide readers. It's already done its Melbourne and Sydney seasons, but look out for it in other states, definitely one to see.


retro 70's at the Adelaide Festival Theatre in the dress circle bar

Once home, I finally managed to get a cup of tea and macarons (made myself of course) in peace with a book... Mr AV had bought me a glass of Jansz (sparkling wine, the Aussie equivalent of Champagne) at the theatre, but it was tipped over by S after I'd had one sip, so my mother's day had up until that point been a little... testing.


Aside from the family celebrations that occurred this weekend  we have had, as I mentioned, three concrete pours this week - the main slab, the upper slab (the bit above Mr AV's office which is slightly higher than the main slab), and the stairs, both down to the cellar and Mr AV's office, and the various sets of stairs down to the garden from the new extension. Here are the concreters on the first pour



And fortunately the weather behaved... rather too well. Remember that I blogged about the endless Summer we had, and how it had finally finished? Well, rather like Dame Nellie Melba and her endless round of farewell concerts at the end of her career, Summer made yet another curtain call. 32C is not the weather you expect 2 weeks off Winter! The upside of the unusual weather was that I got to wear the dresses that I had altered and picked up last week after all.

Aside from nursing The Invalid Husband, and running around doing the usual round of children's activities during the week/ weekend, plus putting on two birthday "parties" (one real, the other slightly concocted for the 3 year old), I've reflected a little on what it means to be a mum this week.

There was the incredibly sad news that two mother's at the Kindergarten E attends had died in the past few weeks, both of Cancer. One had a particularly short battle - just over 2 weeks from diagnosis. I just can't imagine what those families are going through, and those poor children that are going to grow up with their mothers gone from such a young age. For Mother's Day to fall so close to their date of death of their mums will be particularly difficult. Just when the advertising starts to ramp up telling you to buy Mum a foot spa/ CD compilation/ new Pyjamas these families will be forever associating this time with the loss of someone so special in their lives.

So really, its made me think about what a gift mother hood is, in every sense. How blessed are those that have their Mum's still in their lives - it's my first mother's day without mine. It meant that despite the early wakeup today, the lack of Breakfast in Bed, the fighting from overexcited children, the tantrum from a 2 year old who wanted the one little chocolate I was given by the oldest, the flipping of pancakes at 6.30am for my family, the spilt glass of champagne at the theatre, the effort of co-ordinating little people's needs and wants to get everyone out of the house in their Sunday best to celebrate the birthday of our littlest family member... it's most definitely worth it. And really, isn't that what Mother's day is all about - spending time with your family, and all the imperfections that go with that word.

Happy Mother's Day x

35 comments:

  1. A very Happy Mother's Day from France, where we'll be celebrating at the end of the month !x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SB - I'd never realised how much the date varies internationally before blogs! xx

      Delete
  2. I am glad you had an eventful and overall fun Mother's day! Your youngest shares a birthday with Mr CSW - I bet he doesn't like change, loves routine but is so dependable. correct me if I am wrong but mine doesnt :)

    It is just heartbreaking to hear such sad news - it is bad enough even as an adult but for a little kinder to go through that...And I am not one of those people who subscribe to - everything happens for a reason. But you're right, you soldier on and laugh at the frustrations and enjoy it all xx

    PS In Korea and Japan, they do Parents day but they also have Children's day in early May and in the UK, Mother's day is in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to Mr CSW! I used to think that everything happens for a reason... but I think big things like that don't, they're just tragedies pure and simple that make you hold your own loved ones closer. Mother's Day seems to be different everywhere - I think it's on Mothering Sunday in the UK in March? xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Heidi, will be back tomorrow to comment properly, but wanted to wish you a good rest of Mother's Day and hope Mr Av rallies soon. Does he do a poorly voice when he's under the weather? I hate those poorly voices....!!
    Congrats on your two youngest's birthdays too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, a definite poorly voice. It's so sad and pathetic sounding. I often joke that when we married I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I made the "In Sickness and in Health" vow! xx

      Delete
    2. More time now!
      So sorry that your day wasn't very relaxing or indulgent. Having a sick husband is not at all fun... I'm sure that the glass of bubbly being knocked over was Very Annoying on top of everything.
      The death of those mothers is just so sad... There have been a couple of cancer deaths at our school and it is so tragic. Those poor children and partners :-(

      Glad your concrete is down!

      Delete
    3. Relaxation has been in very short supply for the past 5 weeks... and the sick husband thing has been a little trying... more so than the squabbling children I'd say!!
      Yay for concrete! xx

      Delete
  4. Happy Mother's day Heidi. You're a superstar with so much substance. Really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy first Mother's Day to you Laura - hope you had a great one x

      Delete
  5. Latvians celebrate "family day" today, so we're having double the day today. Wishing you a happy mothers day, and thank you for your voice of thankfulness on a day I have found quite trying already... And it's only 10am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Liene! I really hope your day improved... sometimes it's so hard to keep focus on the bigger picture when all the little niggles (and not so little) make for a trying day. Hugs to you, and here's to family! xx

      Delete
  6. I'm sitting in the Jhb airport waiting for a flight to London on which only one of us has a confirmed seat!!.... It is still Mother's day here .... but sadly I'm away from my family. The darlings all texted me and we Face-timed this morning... The sound of your day is just par for the course isn't it? I've only to look at my daughter who has 2 girls 18 months apart and heard earlier about her Mother's day cleaning vomit off the sofa!! The loss of the mothers is terribly sad ... and you're right ... will always be extra painful around this celebration. Don't even get me started on the poorly voice - the invalid - grrrr..... Men are the WORST patients!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you both got on the flight Jenny.... airlines are the worst these days with their overbooking. I feel for your daughter! I've always said that you're prepared for the lack of sleep that comes with being a mother, but you're never prepared for the amount of vomit you have to clean up!!
      I'm quite certain that no woman has ever suffered as much as her male partner. I told Mr AV last year that he was suffering from a bad case of Manflu, which he thought sounded interesting until I started laughing and told him it was a joke that women used... he'd never heard of the term, and now thinks there's a giant conspiracy out there amongst us all to belittle and ridicule them all!! xx

      Delete
  7. I'm with Jenny re men as patients. The Farmer does not shine when he is unwell. He must just take to his bed and wallow. It is easier to let him.....

    Like you I flipped my own pancakes (actually small lie - The Farmer flipped mine, got called out to the paddock and then I flipped everyone else's...) I got special special presents though and lots of cuddles. I hope your gorgeous babies gave you lots of love and got you through the hard bits of the day given the loss of your own Mum - all those anniversaries are so hard.

    I was thinking about your comment about the loss of the Kindy Mums. So sad. Last year at the end of April I went to the funeral of a 42 year old woman (I want to say girl as I whom I had known her since childhood...) Her two little girls were younger than mine and apparently the next big stress was the Mothers Day morning tea as it was within a couple of weeks. Heartbreaking.

    Hope all is well in your world and Mr AV gets well soon. Wisdom teeth do hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny re the farmer, especially with your background!! I love the homemade presents too - they're so excited to give them, and the cards always make me laugh (in quotes one year "I love cooking with Mummy, but we don't do it very often" (that would be cooking cakes), another year had handwritten statements like "I love mummy's cuddles" with drawings of Jedi light cruisers doing battle underneath).

      So very sad about your friend - these things always make you reflect on how precious life is. Hope you had a great day xx

      Delete
  8. Mother's Day is definitely not like in the commercials! Much messier,noisier, testier and whatever those darned little kids throw at you but, still, they make the Best ever memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - no, definitely not like the Ads, but much nicer in a lot of ways I think in all the imperfections. The little cards they make are the best xx

      Delete
  9. Sometimes it's hard to put life into perspective, with all it's little frustrations but just the fact that you can experience all those things in one day, makes it all worthwhile x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Life would be dull indeed without my family in my life x

      Delete
  10. Happy Mother's Day! I loved the Magic Faraway Tree too AND Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.....it's so special sharing favourite things from your childhood with your own children once you become a mum. Your poor husband re wisdom teeth....totally sympathise yet it didn't score me time away from my workplace...in the hours after both of my surgeries I was back on deck cooking dinner etc etc....no one brought me soup or ice-cream in bed! You're so right, motherhood is a gift and it is so important to remember that. Hope you had time between all of the frenzy to remember some of the special times you shared with your mum. Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I love the most is sharing my favourite books with them from my childhood, and seeing them love them too. We have "The Magic Faraway Tree" on Audio book, read by Kate Winslet - it's fab. I play audio books in the car to stop them fighting on the way home from school.
      I have often thought of your wisdom teeth experience over the past 5 days... he only had 2 out, but you'd think it was a mouthful. And there was definitely no effort to do anything other than lie in bed for several days. He'd rally to attend an outing, then retreat back to his sickbed after...
      Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day in France... glass of champagne (the real deal) must've been in order? x

      Delete
  11. Its hard mothers day without your mother.. I know too.

    Loved Eloise's birthday invitations very clever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know smr, I'm just glad that Mum always hated Mother's Day... she used to say it was too commercial, and we'd be quite low key about it. It's just all the advertising makes you think about it more... sorry it's a hard day for you as well. Not sure it ever gets easier, and you always feel a little orphaned, despite being an adult.xx

      Delete
  12. Death of young mums and your own Mum does indeed put life in perspective.
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does put everything into perspective, and was a good reminder on a rather trying weekend... x

      Delete
  13. Hilarious, Dame Nellie Melba and all - bit like my kids when they supposed to go to bed, just that one more round of water-goodnights-applause. I could have cried if someone had spilled my champers thought as you say, all in perspective on this one. That looks like a vast area you are pouring, can't wait to see what furniture you'e got in store for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what furniture we've got in store for it too.... we lived in a cottage in melbourne, so there's a lot of space in the new extension, and not a lot to fill it up with at present. Hopefully there'll be some money left over after construction to buy a bit (ha- wishful thinking as I watch the plumbers digging up the remains of the back garden due to unexpected sewer problems...) x

      Delete
  14. Such a well written post. I am eternally grateful for being a mother and feel desperately sad for those who can't be one for whatever reason beyond their control. It is the greatest gift of all and means far more than presents on mother's day. As far as the nursing goes I can sympathise. My husband broke his collarbone a few weeks ago so I am nursing him for another 6 when he can hopefully start driving and working again! Letitia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 weeks more of nursing!!! Oh my goodness... that's hard going on a farm. Hope he hasn't got you out seeding or whatever you're up to at the moment! Motherhood is such a great gift... it's just hard sometimes to see that when you get bogged down in the mundane of day to day difficulties. xx

      Delete
  15. Happy belated Mother's Day Heidi - better late than never!! Your birthday celebrations over the weekend look fab ... love E's party invites. Must have been hard on Sunday without your mum ... I was thinking of you. Sorry to hear of your Jansz mishap (small children and bubbles do not mix)!! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, thank you for your kind thoughts! And yes, champagne flutes plus kids do not always equal fun times! xx

      Delete
  16. Oh sweet Heidi. What a jumble of emotions. That sounds like life here on Planet Baby! Gosh I adore the idea of a 'The Magic Faraway Party'! I might borrow that for Miss India's next one. Your invitation handiwork is sensational - full plaudits to you. Am looking forward to seeing the slabs revealed! J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a great theme to do at home Jane - all the possibilities with the food!! Could be very Heston Blumenthal (if you wanted to go a little bit overboard that is!). Have had a few technical problems with computers this week, so no pics of the slab as yet... hopefully tomorrow I'll be back on top of things Hope you had a great Mother's Day xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.