Apologies to those that have no current interest in Appliances, but I have finalised the selection today for our Kitchen and thought I'd do a post about how and what I've chosen for our appliances.


I've previously written a post about Bad Design, and some of my thoughts on different appliance brands were contained in that, or in the fairly lively comments. I'm always interested to hear anyone else's unvarnished opinion on their experiences too, so please feel free to leave a comment on this post of your experiences.

Firstly, I'm only going to deal with European brands in this post. There are no Australian made brands (except for Qasair, which I will write about lower down). All other appliance brands aside from the big European brands are made in Asia by foreign companies, and have lesser warranty periods than I am looking for (LG, Westinghouse, Fisher and Paykel etc as well as some lower price European brands like Bosch).

What I value the most in my appliances is reliability. From my personal experience with Miele, I will just say that you do not want to be calling in the repair people often. At all. It's annoying, it takes time to get a booking slot, you then waste time at home during the week waiting for them, it can be quite expensive to have to repair the problem, parts have to be flown in... to be avoided if possible.

So, here are the top brands I like:

Neff
Siemens
Asko

I don't like:

Miele
Gaggenau
Ilve
Smeg

So I haven't looked at them. I've also discounted Wolf and Sub Zero due to cost.

This is a Wolf

They brands I like are all reliable, clever, and do what they're supposed to. From what I've seen, Siemens are currently leading in research and development and are really innovating with their products - other brands are just bringing out more of the same from their old ranges or tweaking them a bit with new facades on their products.

My advice to anyone when looking to buy new appliances is firstly, to not be seduced by sales talk. You don't need to buy everything from one appliance company to complete a look. Cherry pick what suits you from different brands. You'll get a more functional kitchen in the end.

Secondly, don't buy things you don't need. The top of the range products usually have a lot of programs built into them or other features that you won't use. Yes, it's all very exciting in the showroom, it makes you dream of what you might be cooking/ how you'll live in the future... but if I had $100 from every client/ family member/ friend who has reported they haven't used their built in steam oven I'd be almost able to pay off my own appliances. I have visited houses 6 months after their kitchen has gone in to find their steam oven that they couldn't wait to use still encased in plastic wrap inside. If you steam all the time, you'll love it. If you never steam food, you'll never use it. You'll also never be selecting program 56 on your top of the range oven to cook your chicken casserole. You'll likely just set the temperature and time.. lower range appliances are often just as good as the top of the range for your cooking requirements.

The majority of people don't cook much - as in, they assemble, maybe stir fry or make pasta on a cooktop, or they will occasionally pull out all stops and do a roast. You don't need a $25,000 freestanding Wolf oven for that. Resale of your house is only important if you are literally turning around to sell your house within 2 years (or are pitching at such a high point of the market that these things matter... ie the multimillion dollar Sydney foreshore house). And even then, a buyer will not know how much you have paid - they'll be a bit hazy whether it's the top or middle of the range. You will not make an extra $25,000 on top of your sale price because they're taking into account you spent that much on an oven.

So, if you read my blog, you know that I love cooking and baking. For my oven, I have selected a double wall oven - they save space and are at a height where you aren't bending down a lot to look in them. My main criteria was for even temperature control - I hate baking and having something brown too much on one side and not the other. I also wanted a wide interior to the oven, so that I could roast a large piece of meat without actually having to buy a wide oven. I wanted two ovens so that I could cook a pudding while I was finishing the main in the other oven.


I've ended up choosing a Neff double wall oven (photo is of the single oven). You could do two separate ovens and stack them, but it costs a lot more. The smaller second oven will be just for baking, so it doesn't need all the bells and whistles that a normal oven needs. If I'd done two full ovens, it would cost around $2000 - $3000 more. I did discuss doing a normal oven, and then a slightly smaller separate oven either a steam or combi oven, but they're very expensive, and I just wasn't interested in the extra cost on features that I likely wouldn't use a lot. The double oven won. The Neff have a great feature where you can remove the oven tray slider bits on the interior wall of oven, making it larger and so that you're able to utilise more space for a baking tray like a roast.

Cooktop - this is actually the piece of kitchen equipment that I use the most, and is probably what most other people use the most. Consequently, I'm happy to put a bit of money into this. I decided I wanted an induction cooktop as it gives very precise temperature control, heats up the quickest, is energy efficient, safe with children as it's cool to the touch.


Siemens have just brought out a very innovative cooktop that has no specific hotplate zone. The whole cooktop can be cooked on, and it will recognise the pan and the size when it is placed on it. It's very, very clever. It's also very, very expensive. I'm seriously tempted though, as I really do like clever products and I can see that this has a lot of application - you can brown meat on the roasting tray on it then put the tray straight into the oven. You can move pots around and it will recognise them from their previous position and continue cooking. It's brand new on the market and quite unique.


Rangehood - I am having a fully concealed rangehood from Qasair, pictured above in the most exciting blog photo ever. I'm not much into feature rangehoods - I personally like a streamlined look, although Qasair do have a range that are more decorative if that's your thing. It's an Australian made brand - they are manufactured in Melbourne, so it's easy to obtain replacement parts and any service issue you have is easily sorted. The best part though is that they have the best suction of any domestic rangehood on the market - much better than the European brands. They're also very quiet and slightly cheaper in most instances from European models. They're also the only model most kitchen sales people will recommend if you are doing indoor grilling - the suction is that good. They have LED lighting in them, which I like having previously spent a small fortune in Miele branded halogen and fluorescent tubes when replacing them in my old kitchen.

Dishwasher - I am putting in two dishwashers, and I'm going to have them fully integrated as you'll be able to see the doors, and they'll be distracting in the kitchen. I've chosen Siemens for this - they have a new model that has a special energy efficient drying feature. The second dishwasher will be a lower range model to take the overflow, they currently have them on runout sale.


Fridge and Freezer - I'm going with separate side by side, and want fully integrated into the cabinetry due to the sight line when you walk into the extension. It will be too large an area of stainless steel or white appliance to hit you distractingly in the face when you enter the space. I'm never going to have a glass sub zero fridge, I'm not that neat I'm afraid, so when looking at the available options, I have chosen Electrolux. They are the cheapest option of the ones available - Fisher and Paykel can be built in, but don't have a large enough capacity for what I need with a growing family. I don't like Liebherr fridges and freezers, as previously detailed in the Bad Design post, and I don't like Miele appliances at all, also detailed in that post, so really Electrolux was the only option available to me. Electrolux is reliable, and will do the job - so I'm happy with that as a choice.

Warming drawer - this is slightly indulgent, but I hate cold plates when I'm doing dinner. The warming drawers are also great for proving dough, for keeping food warm, or for defrosting food, so I think it will get a lot of use. I've chosen a Neff one - the deepest they've got.

Now, I'm not choosing any other appliances - I have a Thermomix, so don't need a steamer, and while the new steam ovens have great features for baking etc, I'm just not keen on spending $4000 for something I likely won't use a lot or can stick a bit of water in the oven to recreate the steam burst. I also don't want to spend a lot of money on a combination oven/ microwave... I only use the microwave to reheat food occasionally, rather than for cooking and again, spending $4000 on that seems like a waste to me. Previous experiences with built in coffee machines have left me cold on them - we'll stick to the little nespresso machine which makes better coffee than the $4500 built in Miele model that we previously had did.

So, I realise this is a fairly brief summary of a 2 hour discussion in the showroom looking at a lot of different brands, and I've probably short cut through a lot of my rational due to my general industry knowledge, but I could otherwise make this into the longest and most boring blog post ever.

So I've sorted it all out at long last, and now I've just got to finish off my kitchen plans... tomorrow with any luck... and get them out to the cabinetmaker.

41 comments:

  1. Great post Heidi. I think anyone thinking of redoing or doing their house for the first time needs to read this! I remember your post and I recall people had differing experiences but I think that is probably due to locale. I appreciate that certain brands just won't have the same follow up service depending on the country. So I differ from you from a London UK perspective and the three you don't like are the holy trinity of appliances here! I have never once used ILVE so can't comment on that. But I will never ever buy Hoover again in the UK even if they are giving stuff away. After so many bad experiences for me the main feature I look for is after service. Although LG's wifi gizmos like turning on the washing from your laptop at work intrigue me. Like you said, I don't look at the features. Does it bake, clean, chill? But I am quizzing them about warranty and repair questions! I have a Seimens dishwasher that has never let me down 7 years on! I have a smeg cooker that has also been so reliable. I have two fridges though as I like stinky food and the hubs is Greek so his idea of spice is pepper...People who visit think we keep a kosher household. I want two dishwashers as well but hubs thinks I am lazy which I am. I would love an induction worktop but that means getting rid of my much loved enamel pots and pans so I will be keeping my gas fire. I really think you should do a renovation guide book Heidi! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renovation guide book?? You're too kind - I'm sure I'd make everyone's eyes glaze over!
      There are a lot of regional differences - for one, we pay almost double for all those brands in Australia compared to the UK. Also, Gaggenau prices higher than Miele in Australia, which is not the case in Europe, and the main reason why I won't consider it (it's very, very expensive). Gaggenau is also made by Siemens, so a lot of the bells and whistles from Gaggenau can be found in Siemens anyway for half the price. Miele do their own service in Australia, and claimed that I was just incredibly unlucky with the 5 different problem appliances I experienced... Smeg is very hit and miss, so some people have no problems, others have constant problems which is why I don't like them too. I think there's a lot of hype around appliances these days - I look for reliability and function first and foremost. I just see so many people wasting money on things they don't use or don't need.... Looking forward to seeing your choices! xx

      Delete
  2. Heidi... I agree with you on everything... it's like we are on exactly the same page... ie - moving away from the big range - and going with the split oven - cooktop. I have also decided on the induction cooktop and was fascinated to read about the Siemens model - very exciting and innovative. I noticed that Bosch doesnt feature on any list - what are your thoughts. I happened to meet the Bosch agent in the Mittagong Hardware showroom - he was informative and I came away really liking the products - almost like a cheaper version of Miele. He assures me that the service in the Southern Highlands area is superb?. I need to firm up on this soon as we are almost ready to order our appliances. The Liebherr's are ridiculously expensive and as I also want to integrate them, I am puting one in the kitchen and the other in the laundry as I wont be using them both concurrently - I have decided to opt for half fridge / freezer top and bottom. I really want the eye-level ovens - Tired of bending down .... Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bosch is really lower range European, and I didn't feature it on my list because it's not made in Europe, it's made in Asia... which is fine, but it won't last as long as the other European brands in my experience. I think if you're renovating/ building for the long haul then looking for a slightly higher price point in the European brands is worth the extra money as you won't have problems in the long term. I am putting in a Bosch washer/dryer in the laundry, so I'm not totally against them... just prefer other brands over and above them. They do have good service in Australia. I'd definitely advise against Liebherr - they were really badly designed - as they are so shallow you can't fit a lot in (like sheets of puff pastry in the freezer section). I found them overall far too small. The Electrolux ones are much, much cheaper and have a better capacity. xx

      Delete
    2. Wow... that's interesting - the agent insisted that all Bosch products are manufactured in Germany!!.... I will definintely have to investigate! xx

      Delete
    3. Some is manufactured in Germany, but I was told the washing machine/dryer I chose was made in Thailand (or maybe Korea, but I think it was Thailand)? Bosch is cheaper than the other brands, so I think they do a bit of their manufacturing in Asia. xx

      Delete
    4. Jenny - I have a Bosch fridge and it's horrible! I look at it daily hoping it will blow up so I have a reason to replace the stupid thing! Badly designed and the shelves keep breaking. (My husband chose it when I was in hospital after having had my daughter and we had a fridge issue.) Having said that I have a Smeg double oven and it is fabulous. Before that I had a 90cm Smeg cooker which is still going strong (now in our farm manager's house) after 10 plus years. The double wall oven is so much better than my 90cm cooker was - no bending down and I don't have to heat the whole thing up for a few baked potatoes! Love it. We were putting it in a pre-existing spot and had to choose between two brands as they were all that would fit, so I went with the Smeg as the other brand was a cheap, horrible, no name job. It has been going now for a couple of years with no problems. Interestingly I got the oven from Appliances On-Line and they delivered it from Perth (400km round trip) for $20!

      Sorry Heidi - I always feel like I hijack your comment stream and write a small essay. I completely agree about not having really top end appliances as I don't think you ever get the value back and they don't work proportionately better than the amount you pay. Can't wait for the photos of your new kitchen. Plus I agree re flash coffee machines - my nespresso is fabulous and I don't have to muck around cleaning fiddly little bits. My dishwasher is Miele and is 10 years old - I have heard the quality has really dropped off though.

      Loving hearing all about the renovation plans. Best go and keep cleaning the carpets though!

      Delete
    5. Hijack away! Always like hearing your opinions! xx

      Delete
    6. I am starting to feel 'funny' about Bosch all of a sudden!! I love the idea of the Electrolux integrated fridges Heidi - do they have to stand together? Then, I must have a look at the Siemens induction stove top - I also decided on the induction method as I used this method when hiring a house once and I am completely sold - not to mention the ease of cleaning. I just got sick of cleaning the gas-top and all the fidly bits! - and I'm going to look into other oven choices. I have Electrolux washing machine and tumble dryer and so does my daughter - they are very reliable! Excellent discussion here and lots for us all to learn Heidi - so thank you!! Jennyxx

      Delete
    7. No they don't - they are completely separate, so you could easily do them apart. You could put the freezer into your butler's pantry, and keep the fridge out in the kitchen maybe? Or they do have models with fridge and freezer in one unit. They're 650 mm wide and 730mm deep, so deeper than a standard cabinet depth, but not by much. They also cost around $3,000 less than the Liebherr....!xx

      Delete
  3. Really appreciate these posts. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - glad it's helpful xx

      Delete
  4. I love Neff. I also love wall ovens. So kind to the back. My husband really likes Siemens when he was doing hardcore kitchen appliance research. I think all your choices are spot on!
    Interesting about Ilve. Never had one (But was considering, I like the way they look) I currently don't have an oven, so sad.
    2 dishwashers! wow. There is only 2 of us and I wash the dishes at least once a day. I 100% agree about just buying the base model of ovens and don't buy steam ovens if it is not your thing.
    I like induction too, but I am often roasting capsicum and eggplant on the flame, so not sure how I would get around that problem if I chose an induction cooktop (bbq perhaps). Ease of clean is a big factor though!!
    Fisher and Paykel fridges are very deep aren't they? I have one and I am trying to work out my kitchen layout but it just sticks out and just the other day I started looking at integrated fridge/freezers, pity, as it isn't very old. But I don't see it being big enough when my family grows.
    I am so excited for for your kitchen renovation to come to fruition. (Especially your steel windows) My kitchen renovation isn't even on the horizon. Damn Sydney house prices and 2 mortgages. One day, ONE DAY.
    I'll just live vicariously through you. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No oven? I did that in our last house for over 2 years, but couldn't with so many kids this time round, so had to buy my crap Bunnings oven to tide me over! I've gone backwards and forwards over the two dishwasher thing... pretty much everyone I know tells me to put two in, and I currently fill ours every day. When we entertain we end up with a massive stack of dishes waiting to go in, so two will be better for us.
      I currently have a Fisher and Paykel upside down fridge, on its last legs. It's been fine up until now - the freezer isn't big enough for me now, and the fridge is always stuffed full... although I do keep a lot of stuff in it that would normally go in a pantry except that I don't have one! Our last kitchen I made the cabinets deep enough to accommodate the f&p and it looked fine.
      I'm excited now about the reno too - it's taken a long, long time to get to this point - 3 years we've owned the house now! And we've been renovating the whole time xx

      Delete
  5. Oh and warming drawers!!! YES! right? right??? I hate condiments/sauces from the fridge that are chilled, they need to be warmed up too. I also hate wandering husbands when I say "dinners ready" Cold food is the WORST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agree on all your points! I suffer the wandering husband too....!

      Delete
  6. I loved choosing my kitchen appliances...9 long years ago! I totally agree re the integrated Miele coffee maker....ours is sitting there unused now that we mostly drink tea and it needs a $2000 repair for it to be able to make coffee for when my mum comes to visit! I have a double Ilve oven/gas cooktop combo as my husband said no to an Aga worst luck....I must admit to being sold on the double oven combo and find that I use the smaller oven the most, strangely enough. When it finally has the biscuit, I've already started eyeing off a Lacanche cooker to replace it with yet seeing that I've never had one minutes trouble with the Ilve....I may be waiting some time. I think I have the same Qasair integrated range hood that you have selected yet mine looks a tad different as it's nine years old. Can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out! Mine is verging on old now yet the only thing that I would change would be a respray as some of the matt two pack paint finish has chipped....otherwise I'd keep mine exactly the same as it is! Hope yours works out well too! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Lacanche sold in Australia? I didn't think it was....? You've done well to not want to change a thing with your kitchen 9 years on. My mum's kitchen was like that when I was growing up - when they sold the house, the new owners thought it was a newish kitchen (she had replaced the appliances a few years before), but it was 25 years old! It had a great layout, and was very timeless in the style.
      My Dad has an Aga, slightly wasted on him, but Mum used to use it for cooking all the time. Most people in Australia that have them though still have another wall oven it seems.. they're too hot to have on in Summer here. Even in Tas I think it would be too hot! That's great you've had no problems with Ilve - I'd heard service was difficult if you ever have a problem, which was why I discounted them.
      Coffee machine are a waste of money! xx

      Delete
  7. I'm a newcomer to your blog and loving it. I am currently tearing my hair out with frustration over my complete lemon of a Miele washer-dryer. Like you, I. will. never. buy. Miele. again.
    Thank you for the great info about alternative brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minerva, thanks for your comment! I have a friend who had the washer dryer and it was destroying her clothes - literally, putting holes in them. In the end Miele took them back (after a massive fit from her over it) and she bought Asko instead! Based on a few lemon kitchens, plus her experiences I've said never again! But a lot of people do still love their Miele.... xx

      Delete
    2. I've heard the Miele washer / drier combo was a dud from a girlfriend who bought one. Damaged clothing and it couldn't dry the capacity that it could wash. And it was only for her and hubs!

      Delete
    3. How interesting your friend had a problem too KL - they always insist you're the only one to ever complain.... I think all the washer and dryer combos have a larger capacity for wash than for when they're drying though - I was warned about it when I was looking at the appliances by the sales guy. xx

      Delete
  8. I would kill for a double oven KILL I TELL YOU!!

    Years ago an owner of a kitchen appliances shoppe said "It's not the equipment, it's the cook" and I completely agree. You'd be shocked at what I can achieve on a large scale in my 20 year old kitchen without a dishwasher. We do tonnes of entertaining and it never holds me back. Having said that I d long for a proper kitchen with everything new and flash.

    Love what you have chosen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with that statement. I used to entertain in our old house in Melbourne pre kitchen reno with no oven and no dishwasher (and do full dinner parties with our silver and everything!!). I just had to choose things that could be cooked on the cooktop only. I still manage to cook more food in my current crappy stove than most people I know... if you like to cook you'll use it! xx

      Delete
  9. Heidi,
    Love this post, as I have a serious fascination with kitchen appliances. I have noticed a few UK cooking shows
    using Neff ovens. I can't wait to see your finished kitchen - I am certain it will look amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still have to finish the drawings for the kitchen Fifi!! Although I did make good progress today, not much left to do.

      Neff has a really good reputation for being a cooks oven at the moment. They have a nifty feature of a slide in oven door when you open it (although not on the double oven unfortunately) and good interior lighting on each shelf, and most importantly good temperature control and even ness of temperature. xx

      Delete
  10. Very enlightening post Heidi.
    We built our house 10 years ago and I still regret not putting a double oven in on a weekly basis!
    I completely concur on the Miele & Smeg issues. I am on my third Smeg oven in a 18 months. They have exploded during the themolytic cycle twice. The reason I have a third oven is that it was going to take 4 months to get the replacement door and I threw a bit of a fit so they gave me another one.
    Have had Miele issues as well *sigh* and your right the service is an nightmare.
    I had no idea that a warming draw existed but I was seriously have one if we ever plan a new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nightmare Kate- three smegs!!! That sounds like my coffee machine saga... I don't even drink coffee, but Mr AV does, and having to organize service 7 x's drove me nuts. I've not had two ovens before and have always been frustrated at the cooking limitations caused by that. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im not very inot kitchjen appliances but read your post with interest. Im amazed something is actually still made in Australia .

    Im still using an old gas stove that came with my flat when I bought it in 2008.It cooks really evenly.

    Been out of touch I have started a new job .. selling wines..fun!

    Really loved your long white ball dress with the gold belt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes the old appliances are better than the new ones!! How exciting re the new job... sounds like a very good industry to be in too!! Thanks re dress, it was a fun night! xx

      Delete
  13. Thanks Heidi,
    Love the info from you and would appreciate knowing where you found the best deals on those appliances in Adelaide? I am shopping around too.
    Thanks, Renie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renie, I've gone with Spartan Electrical - they've given very good advice and had a good range on the floor of the showroom. Elite Appliances on Unley Rd also carry all these brands, and you can also look online (appliances online have quite good pricing), however Spartan have given me the best pricing even compared to online prices. There are some good end of financial year sales on at the moment, so it's worth seeing what deals you can get. xx

      Delete
  14. Great post Heidi. Really interesting to re-read your 'bad design' post again too in relation to this. Having been serial renovators and builders of client's homes (with their appliance choices)I have lots of personal experience with different brands and couldn't agree more with many / most of your comments. If re-sale (Australia mill +) is your target buyer then a 'named' european brand for oven / cooktop / dishwasher is essential but in a lower price range. Miele usually ticks boxes here. We have clients that have had outstanding success with oven / cooktop / dishwasher trio in Bosch too.
    I have little experience with fridges; we've been lucky but would like to add these points: Fridges are not standardised in size like ovens therefore when a built-in 'dies' so does the cabinetry. Ouch. I prefer the look too but am unsure of an answer...understanding that the kitchen cabinetry will only last as long as the fridge? Making sure flooring runs under cabinetry too!
    Many swishy fridges are often re-sold designs (Our GE was previously sold badged as a Kleenmaid, then Maytag)so lineage can become blurred.
    I think many brands have a diffussion line Smeg: Omega for example. Worth doing some research. I love your choices: I have only once chosen for 'me' and had two ovens and LOVED them. Hope my comment is not too long...x KL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comments KL, and lots of good info. Agree with fridge difficulties... it's always been the problem, but unless you want to go completely unbuilt in you can't really avoid future problems with cabinetry I think. My mother in law had to do this with her fridge freezer when it died, the sizes had changed in the meantime, but she managed to find some that fit, a different brand... just not a lot of choice.

      The reason why I discounted Gaggenau is that it is made by Siemens, and is essentially the same product, just looks flasher and is double the price! I agree it's worth doing research on who owns what and where it is manufactured to get the best info and options available to you. I imagine your appliance knowledge would be bang up to date with all your experience! xx

      Delete
  15. Hello Heidi... I'm just coming back to you on this post as it really has been so informative... I have just re-read it all and as a result, am second-guessing my dog-eared choices and am off to Winnings first thing tomorrow to investigate. I think we cook in similar ways - I am particularly interested in the induction cook top - this is a definite choice of mine - but will confirm the brand tomorrow. I have had convection microwave ovens in the past but usually only used them as a second oven - only use the micro-wave for heating milk for coffee!! I love the idea of a warming drawer - this is always necessary!... will let you know how it all goes! Jennyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's been helpful Jenny! I agree that I barely use my microwave, certainly it's only for reheating things, or occasionally melting butter for a recipe. I think that you can use other appliances for those things, and to either spend money on a combi oven, or give up space for a separate microwave is a bit of a waste. Make sure you get the larger size warming drawer - the small ones only do 6 plates, and aren't deep enough for keeping dishes of food warm etc. Look forward to hearing how you go. xx

      Delete
  16. I love how people get so into their rennos..it is all consuming. I have a newish Aga and I can adjust the temperature remotely so I only turn it off when it is stinking hot. We have no other heating in the house, so that's how I justify it! My second oven in the laundry is a Neff and I love it, it has been brilliant and I use it when I have to get a specific temperature (the aga has only very hot, less hot, cool and warming oven) and when I have to do emergency hot weather baking. Re the dishwashers we have a normal dishwasher (Miele, so far so good) plus one Fisher and Paykel dish drawer which takes up a bit less space and is fantastic for all the glasses that won't fit into the other dishwasher after a dinner party. I have a drawer underneath it that can fit all my big roasting trays which is useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all consuming! The dish drawer idea is great - a good compromise between two full dishwashers and one. That extra drawer must be very handy.
      You're lucky you're able to cook with your aga most of the year - they really are too hot for an Australian Summer, so have to be turned off for 4-6 months of the year. Glad to hear your Neff has been good, so far I've only heard positive experiences, which is a good sign! xx

      Delete
  17. Thank you for this useful post.
    I have a question.
    Did you put a range hood over your Thermomix?
    If so what considerations did you give to your choice?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't... At the moment I haven't got a range hood in my dreadful kitchen. I really only notice a problem with steaming- the wall behind gets a bit wet. I won't use it under the range hood in the new kitchen either, but I do have high ceilings so it likely won't be a problem.... Now you've got me thinking I should put a PowerPoint in next to the cooktop, just incase I do want to use the range hood ......

      Delete
  18. Great post, very exciting and innovative post rewlated to the kitchen appliances. I am a newcomer to your blog and loving it.Thank you for this useful post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.