Prepare to be dazzled



I channeled a disco ball on Friday night, and attended the Jam Factory's 40th Birthday celebration dinner. The dress code was "festive", so I figured sequins would do the trick. Wore this chevron sequinned tunic dress with fishnets and my gold heels and blinded my dinner companions by reflecting light all night. It's a great dress, very flattering on as it hides a multitude of sins (which was good because it was a four course dinner).


The menu was inspired by the four decades the Jam Factory has operated in - we started with seafood cocktails for the 70's. Lots of thousand Island dressing and iceberg lettuce were at the bottom of the glass. The next course was a 1988 Gourmet traveller recipe of broccoli and camembert soup. The main was the 90's so it was a stack of beef inter-layered with Italian themed things - roast capsicum and eggplant and mozzarella type stuff. The dessert was from the Noughties, so was Maggie Beer ice-cream, and a walnut and caramel mousse. Yummy and fun.


The Jam Factory is very well known Australia wide in Art and Design circles - Artists who work in Jewellery, Glass, China, and Furniture making apply annually to learn and work in the studios where they are mentored to run themselves as a business, and also to develop their creativity and technique. The model has subsequently been replicated across Australia in other states, but many of Australia's best Artisans have been through the Jam Factory's alumni program - it it internationally recognised for design.

There were the obligatory silent auctions. One artists work that I loved was  Stephen Bowers, there was a giant (70cm) plate, that had Alice in Wonderland overlaying blue and white willow print. I sat on my hands, as it was knocked down for $12,500 (retail price). He has an exhibition coming up, and I LOVE this pair of china dogs. If you look closely at the blue and white it's actually contemporary - Sydney Harbour Bridge, parrots, and other modern imagery are painted in traditional style. I love art that draws you in to inspect it up close, and that you then notice new and quirky detail again and again.

image via Jam Factory


It's been freezing and raining here. Last night I whipped up a big pot of Osso Bucco for dinner.



And I read "Ruby Red Shoes" to E for her bedtime story. It's such a gorgeous book - I've been giving it as birthday party presents recently to other 5 year old girls. It's written by a Queensland author and illustrator, Kate Knapp.


Her illustrations are so detailed and pretty, it's the story of a little white Hare who lives with her Grandmother in a caravan, and describes her daily life - gardening, looking after her chickens, taking a bath, cuddling up under feather quilts to read books... very soothing and the perfect bedtime story for girls aged 4-8.



And on renovation news.... not a lot of visible action. The weather has caused some delays again. We've had a bit of progress on the brickwork, but we only have one bricklayer, so it is slow going. We've been given a new installation date for the steel windows, so in 2 weeks time things should suddenly take a big leap forward with the window installation being completed (that's if they don't forget something again and trundle back to Melbourne for another few weeks...). I've been looking at render samples (thrilling), and discussing the location of air-conditioning vents (also thrilling). This is a half bricked up wall with steel windows to the Kid's playroom. The bricks are to be rendered.


 And no magnolia buds have opened in the garden still! Maybe this week is the week. But I do have some Hellebores, which I also love.


Hope you had a good week xx

24 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. Your Osso Bucco is making me hungry now!!!

    Great to see some renovation progress <3

    You looked gorgeous by the way.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog <3

    I don't like the rails our cabinet maker suggested (he normally uses them in built ins). The end/capping things were not particularly attractive :s ... I will let you know if and when I find something decent.

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B! Keep me posted if you do find some, and I will too... I'll be drafting up the laundry later in the week, so shall have to do some more investigating. If I find something I'll let you know. xx

      Delete
  3. I think I will have to buy that book and put it in Audrey's bookcase. Very cute. That is not a bad amount of reno progress. I am sitting here with a dumb moodboard on the table and that is progress to me! Arghh. Damn windows!!! Hurry up, I wanna see what you look like. I hope they don't forget anything either. You can really see the height of the ceilings! How fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get it for little Audrey - it's so gorgeous. I think it's for an older child because it's reasonably long for a picture book... a younger child wouldn't hold their attention that long. But the illustrations are gorgeous. Hopefully she puts out a range of cards, because I'd buy them in a pinch! Ceilings are looking good... but would look better if they had plaster on them!!!! xx

      Delete
  4. Oh love your bling dress! Fabulous! It must have looked great with the good shoes!
    The evening sounds great - I love the idea of having different courses from different eras -may steal that idea for our next big do!
    Sorry to hear about renovation delays and bad weather. Sydney has been making up for vile early July weather and has been stunningly gorgeous - up to 23 degrees this past week (9 degrees overnight, though!) I'm sure it's a false dawn, though.... I've been feeling very spring like, which is sure to be ruined by cold again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing about a dinner party theme... especially as I turn 40 end of next year (so still have aaaaagggges to go). Won't be doing a dinner party in the foreseeable future though...! I've seen the forecasts for Sydney and have been very envious!! It's mostly very cold her, and we've pretty much made up for the very dry summer we had in a month and a half of solid rain. Very frustrating (although good for the garden... what there is of it!) xx

      Delete
    2. Wonderful bling dress! Food looked fabulous too - always loved those seafood cocktail thingies. Bring back the 70s!

      Dinner party theme sounds great and hopefully wouldn't be too difficult to action. When the Julie and Julia film came out, a friend and I got together and did a Julia Child dinner party. I made the first and main courses and she created a fabulous dessert. Plus we had French wines (and champagne) and great French cheeses. We all had a wonderful night. Those themed dinner things can be great fun. How lovely to be turning 40 in a year! Really worth celebrating - and hope MR AV is already planning his wonderful present! Best wishes, Pamela

      Delete
    3. The seafood cocktails went down a storm! I'm definitely going to be making them once the new kitchen is in!
      Your dinner party sounds completely fabulous - I have to say you definitely can't go wrong if you've got French champagne and cheeses to add to the meal. Mr AV is bracing himself for my 40th. His is a month later, so we'll have a double celebration! xx

      Delete
  5. love the outfit and the food and the dogs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when they brought out the 90's main course, knowing your love of the retro food stack. The seafood cocktail was retrotastic! xx

      Delete
  6. We are big Ruby fans up here at Betsy's, we even have the original soft toy Ruby as well. We also have three Kate Knapp original prints, including two I found in the Lifeline bin! The horror! I have been meaning to write a post about Kate and Ruby for ages but the reno just took over all other posts! We have apparently had the wettest July in 40 years up here in Bris but luckily our roof was on before all the wet days hit but the sun seems to have arrived in the last week so will send some down your way. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to add that Kate does have a gorgeous range of cards, have a look on her website twigseeds.com which may link to where you can find them down your way. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have found Kate's prints in the Lifeline bin?????!!!! I am super jealous - I love her illustrations.. didn't know there was a toy Ruby too - the book's fairly new, but maybe she developed the concept a while ago... off to have a look at her website. Pleeeeaase post on her, would love to know more xx

      Delete
  8. eye candy everywhere! Love the foo dogs - very clever. Your dress is so much fun and love the photo of you in it! osso bucco looks delish. But hoping your renos chug along smoothly and perhaps they just need some good old fashioned nagging? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't you worry, the builder is getting a Lot of Pressure from me... I used to be a Project Manager back in my early career days, so I'm used to cracking heads together when necessary!! Unfortunately if it rains in Australia and is cold, no one can work... I've pointed out to them that in a lot of countries 14 C is a warm Summer's day, but for some reason they can't build here.....! xx

      Delete
  9. Love your get up for the Jam Factory soiree, and the menu options, and how cute is that book? Hope the weather improves so progress can be made on your renovation- if you need any additional builders, I've got a 1 and 3 year old that would love to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly with the rate of progress, I'll take any labourers I can get my hands on!! Funnily enough my 3 year old has taken an active interest in construction of late, so we may well end up with a builder in the family... just probably not in time to be useful on this reno!!xx

      Delete
  10. Hello Heidi - Oh I am with you on the building slow-down. I have just had to re-adjust my expectations radically. We were moving in for Christmas .... and now we are NOT!!!! ... makes my blood boil ... It's probably a relief in a way as everything can stop spinning in my head and I can take things a lot more slowly. I love Osso Buco and you've inspired me to make some this week!... love your dress too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sad to hear that Jenny! I have my oldest's birthday at the end of October, and had thought we'd have his party at home... I've even booked the magician, but we'll have to move it somewhere else, as there won't be a functioning kitchen/ flooring down and most likely painting stuff everywhere. But you're right, you can take your time with choices, and feel you've not made rushed decisions. I had to make a lot of rushed decisions when we renovated the front of the house (a 5 month deadline to move in, and timed perfectly with the arrival of the third baby with severe reflux...I'm not sure how I managed to choose anything frankly!). xx

      Delete
  11. Heidi, loved the action - glamour, gourmet and giddying renovation - what a busy life! I must say, I recognised everything in the 4 course menu - that is a bit scary! xHH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so funny eating through the decades - I remembered the first two courses from my mother's dinner parties in the 70's and 80's, and used to make 90's style stacks when I first started off entertaining when I moved out of home myself. If only they'd put out the after dinner mints, I would have been in heaven! xx

      Delete
  12. Loving the bling.

    I can remember thinking a prawn cocktail was the height of sophistication when I was a child. Even the soggy iceberg lettuce in the bottom of the goblet (because they must be in some sort of stemmed glass arrangement....).

    Can vividly remember doing all sort of random stacks of char-grilled vegies and stuff in the 90s too. In retrospect quite an odd thing to do but it did look very impressive!!

    Looks like you are surviving the renos. hope the weather smiles soon.

    T

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the prawn cocktails went down a Storm!! I must say that I was secretly disappointed that it wasn't served in a martini glass, or as my mother once did - in half an avocado (so chic, no one had seen an avocado in Adelaide back in 1982). I'm sure all the micro herbs and foam will be the signature of the 00's, just as the stack was to the 90's.

      Surviving just... the weather is shocking. Has rained every day this week so far. Whoever is doing the rain dance can stop now! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.