We managed to escape the rain cloud that has been hanging over Adelaide by ironically travelling to Melbourne where everyone was complaining that it's been too dry (it's usually most definitely the other way around). We did a bit of client entertaining on Friday and Saturday night, and aside from that there was a lot of sleeping in, lazy mornings and long walks around South Yarra with Mr AV. So I've taken my usual poor quality, blurry iphone photos to show you what we got up to.

Friday night we went out to dinner at the Prahran Hotel, which is owned by one of Mr AV's clients. I wore this - black waxed jeans, gold heels with gold clutch, black wool roll neck and a black jacket with weird bustle thing on the back and a gold zip. It's Valentino, sourced 70% off from The Outnet.


 The Prahran Hotel is very hip and groovy, which was what I was trying to achieve with my outfit, and in which I clearly failed miserably. On a Friday night it's the place to be if you want to pick up, and you're aged from 20-30... a total meat market for trendy young things. As we were not in either of those categories, you could say that we were fairly obviously The Old People in the Pub. We were stopped by the bouncers at the door, not to provide ID, as I immediately thought (how foolish of me!), but to see if we had a reservation, as they clearly weren't going to let us in otherwise. Deflating. 


On my walk around the pub admiring the very interesting interiors (they've used a lot of concrete pipes for seating areas), groups of young men looked me up and down, clearly wondering who had let the cougar in the front door.

 multi levelled



Summary: Great if you're under 30. Not somewhere you'd go for the food, which is Ok pub fare, but not a drawcard. We had a really fun night with Mr AV's client and his wife, regardless.

On Saturday I popped into Home and Abroad in Avoca Street, South Yarra as is my habit, to pick up a little thank you gift for my Mother in Law, who had the children for the weekend. Good thing I had carry on as I could have bought half the shop - there's lovely glassware in there at the moment (hurricane lanterns, candle holders, water jugs and glasses), beautiful ceramic lines in great colours, and their beautiful Portuguese linens which they always have. A new linen tablecloth and napkins may have made their way home with me....


all the gift wrapping has bees on it 


That was it for the shopping for me this trip - Mr AV and I went on a big walk, and stopped for lunch in Fog on Greville Street, Prahran where I had some delicious fish tacos.



 Saturday night we took clients to dinner at Cafe e Cucina in Chapel Street. It's been around for maybe 20 years, and is a little slice of Italy. All the waiters are imported, and speak broken English, and the Interior and food is as authentic as you'll get in the Southern Hemisphere. At the two tables next to us were Pink and her entourage... I had been wondering who would take a 4 year old child out at 8pm for dinner dressed in a spiderman suit, and we finally twigged who it was. In January you'll always find the tennis commentators and players there having dinner during the Australian Open. The meal was excellent.

This is what I wore - an old Tory Burch dress with bib embellishment on it, and my black knee high Jimmy Choo boots, also old.


 Another walk on Sunday morning, and breakfast at The Botanical on Domain Road before heading back to the airport. I took more photos of grey rendered Melbourne houses to show the renderer for our extension. These houses are on Avoca Street, around the corner from the Lyall Hotel, where we were staying again.


This one below is my favourite


 I made Mr AV take a back view of the weird bustle type thing on my jacket for the blog. He is a reluctant photographer of me (seriously, there are about 2 photos taken of me a year, and they're generally dreadful and feature me in an apron looking annoyed that he's chosen that particular moment to take one).


So that was it - over too fast, and back home with a thud and a few hours of catching up on laundry, unpacking for 5, making dinner and getting organised for the week ahead on the Sunday evening.

On to the renovations. Here's what happened on the house this week. Not a lot. It rained, all day, all week. A bit of brickwork was accomplished.


windows in the ceiling lantern

This week the window installers are returning to finish installing the windows, around 5 weeks after they first came (so much for returning in two weeks...). I'm planning on throwing a ticker tape parade to welcome them back, along with the roofer who is also going to make an appearance this week. We have sunny weather forecast (at last!) so things should really move along, fingers crossed....

Hope you had a great week xx

41 comments:

  1. Come on window installersssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I miss Melbourne...The prahran hotel - if i am not mistaken wasn't it a massive club in the 90's? ( I am showing my age!) If it was then I used to go a lot in '92. But I am so glad to hear that C&C is going strong as ever. Great walks in that area to be had for sure. Good luck on the windows and the weather! PS love the gold shoes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was... and I don't think they're aiming at getting the old crowd back anymore - our age group on a Friday night are all at the Botanical bar on Domain Rd (where it's a total meat market for the over 30's)! You should come back for a trip down memory lane N! xx

      Delete
  3. Oh what a lovely break, that's what my Londn trips are like, a chance to get dressed up, see some pretties and feel like " the oldest people in the pub" - that resonated with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we were definitely the oldest by a mile - my husband was so insulted that the bouncer didn't want to let him in! In his mind we are still mid 20's and cool.... xx

      Delete
  4. Same here, there's no photo of me unless I "strongly" ask my husband to take one.
    I love you puffer jacket and you look fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh glad to hear I'm not the only one! I keep thinking that the children are going to look back at the photos one day and wonder why I was always so grumpy and with a broom in my hand.... ! xx

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great weekend, and has given me lots of ideas for our trip to the Lyall in Nov. I'll be bugging you for recommendations for food, shopping etc!
    J & I are often 'the oldies in the pub'! - I guess it'll only get worse....

    Fingers crossed for your windows to be installed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becoming the old ones at the pub has happened so quickly! I'm happy to pass on some places to go when you go in Nov... we didn't do a lot this time round- both too tired, so sleeping and eating were the main activities!! xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Heidi! Forgot to mention that I love your gold shoes - that outfit looks fab, and I really like the bustle thing on your jacket.

      Delete
    3. Those gold shoes have been a good buy I think - I've worn them a bit, they just liven up anything I wear them with. xx

      Delete
  6. Oh I sure hope your weather holds so they can keep moving!

    Your break looks like it was fun and I very much like the bustle on that jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I WMM! It was a great break - we're both so sick of the dreary weather in Adelaide and the relentlessly slow building works. xx

      Delete
  7. I love love love Melbourne ...at least you were reckoned to be a cougar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.... I think that's what they thought I was. They might have just been wondering why there was an old person in the pub instead! xx

      Delete
  8. Love the outfits and cannot wait to go to Cucina with our entourage,

    You are my Thinspiration. I blame the garden tour and my compulsion to comfort eat.

    Love seeing all the Young People hanging out.

    Can we go to that shoppe in Melbourne too please? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that thin... just normal, you have nothing to fear, all my weight goes on my rear which I never photograph!

      I love Cucina - haven't been for around 3 years, and the food was SO GOOD! I can't wait to go back. We will definitely go to Home and Abroad, it's a stones throw from the hotel, and it has Bees all over the wrapping paper and bags - it's got your name on it! xx

      Delete
  9. Love the bustle! My husband also hates photographing me. Lucky my 3 year old loves taking photographs (although most of them are of uninteresting things- the floor, the grass, his knee). I only go to pubs where the lighting is dim, so that patrons cannot see my wrinkles x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have to start training up the kids with the camera, he was SO reluctant to take a photo for the blog saying "this is just really stupid". Which it really is, but I really think he should be more obliging about it.
      Dim lighting is key when you are 30 plus. xx

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fabulous weekend.

    Loved the trendy outfit - must admit I also always resort to some sort of combination of all black plus fierce shoes when I am forced to hang out with the beautiful young things....

    Laughing at the story of Pink and her child in a Spiderman suit. Hope he had a good dinner!


    Have a good week.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great weekend - we haven't spent a lot of time just the two of us for a while. Black is always the safest bet. Plus it's slimming, and in Melbourne practically a Uniform - everyone's in black in Winter.

      The poor kid was still there when we left after 10pm! He seemed to be having a good time though...the entourage were making a big fuss of him xx

      Delete
  11. It is still raining down there? My god you must be going nuts with delayed reno frustration. Seems like you made a very sensible decision to get over your reno hump with a child free escape to Melbourne. Love the bustle and the badgering of husbands to obtain footage. There are no photos of me anywhere, blog or otherwise, as I am the sole pic taker for our family too. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stopped the past two days, but is due to start again on Wednesday!!! The delays have been absolutely unbearable. Kevin McCloud would have a field day with his pieces to camera and an empty waterlogged site behind him. I'm So Jealous of your progress!!!
      What is it with the lack of photo taking with husbands? xx

      Delete
  12. It's it funny how that feeling of being "past it" creeps up on you! I don't miss the hangovers but I do miss all the time I had to myself.

    Love the jacket, and the outfits in general. Wish I had your wardrobe! We are having a week in Melbourne in October with our two year old twins, would love some tips. We are planning a visit to the zoo and Collingwood Children's Farm, I have also heard the aquarium is good.

    This winter has been so dreary, cannot wait for Spring. Sick of sickness and whinging, although I think I've also been doing some whinging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's also not fair that it's now much easier to get a hangover than it used to be.... how does that happen???

      The aquarium is fantastic, as is the zoo - the seals and elephant walk are excellent in particular. Collingwood children's farm is lovely, and my kids always had a good time there. You could also try scienceworks in Williamstown - not that far from the city, and all indoors if you hit a bit of rain. Lots of buttons and things to press and move and fiddle with and special sections that suit little children really well (pretend shop etc). Don't try luna park, not great with really small children. The Botanic Gardens have a fabulous children's garden too - little rills of water for them to paddle in, hills to run up and down and veggie gardens to dig in with lots of little hidey holes around the place. Great spot to take a picnic and sit in the middle while they run around - it's gated from the rest of the gardens so they can't escape. Have a great time!! xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much. Gated is good as they seem to have no fear. Hopefully we will get some nice (dry!) weather.

      Delete
    3. I thought of another - the Melbourne Museum has a good kids section, with lots of buttons to press, outside activities etc. The rainforest garden is also good there for kids to run around in. Sounds like you're going to have a busy week... I'll keep my fingers crossed for dry weather for you! x

      Delete
  13. Bring on Melbourne! My husband promised me the pub on Saturday night after he'd done a fundraising auction.....I was momentarily excited yet when it came to the crunch we went home afterwards instead. Sad. Was excited to see what glam, hip happening pub in Melbourne looks like....closest I'm going to get....unless we all decide to go in October?! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pub might not make it onto the tour agenda... it's got very interesting interiors, but I couldn't hear a thing, and definitely felt my age there (and complaining I couldn't hear much really shows my age!!). Maybe some of the little hidden bars in the laneways in the city instead? xx

      Delete
  14. They import their waiters??:D And you dined next to Pink and Spiderman - how cool is that??;) Besides, your Valentino jacket is phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do import them!! It's pretty funny... although Mr AV and I have had conversations in the past where we've thought they might just be putting on the accent - they always seem to come from small villages no one would know outside of larger towns like Florence or Naples... and I've been telling everyone I had dinner with Pink this week (forget about the clients!). xx

      Delete
  15. You can send some of your rain our way anytime you like...had to turn on the hose yesterday...this is nuts... laughed about the cougar in the pub....friday and saturday nights are for the wee things I reckon, but the same places are filled with very different people on weeknights, when the oldies come out to play...

    Looks like you had a terrific weekend though...aren't the walks around that area too delicious? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love walking around South Yarra/Prahran, the walks are fab... reminds me a bit of when I lived in London and I'd sticky beak into everyone's front windows!
      Would you believe it's raining again today??! Yesterday was beautiful though. But the roofer didn't arrive!!!!! xx

      Delete
  16. Was it Matt or Andy you had dinner with? Both are lovely guys. So pleased you had a fab time in Melbourne. xx Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love a Melbourne trip! It wasn't either of them... I think there are around 5 owners? Matt and Andy might be the ones that do the day to day running of the pub maybe? The owner we know is one of the investors xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Heidi, Matt and Andy Mullins are two of the original owners / founders, along with Doug and another guy. They're still very much involved - Matt is a key part of the architectural / design process. I think the investors came in later. Glad you had a great time! They do do beautiful pubs. xx

      Delete
  17. I am late to this post but oh my, you look stunning! Love the quilted jacket (quite envious, as I have never found anything decent on the Outnet). I am sure people were checking you out for being the most stylish woman in the bar, not because they thought you were a cougar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could you not have found good stuff on the Outnet?? It's my favourite 'net shopping!!
      You're very kind to suggest I looked stylish. I'll take that over cougar any day! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.