I've fairly whizzed through the design of the joinery for the laundry... it's amazing how quickly things can come together when Mr AV shows absolutely no interest at all in something, and we therefore avoid all the tedious design discussions/ redesigns.

I don't much like doing laundry, but like most mothers I do a lot of it. In the past (our three homes in Melbourne) I've had the Laundry in a cupboard concept, either in a hall or bathroom behind double doors that fit a stacked washer and dryer and a laundry tub. Very limited storage, no place to fold things and the cupboard doors would have to be open if you were using the dryer. But when you have limited space, giving over significant floor space to a laundry is a waste.

So to have the luxury of an actual separate laundry from the rest of the house is bliss. Interestingly the builders kept asking me if I wanted to make it wider (and so have a smaller play room for the children). I kept laughing at them and saying I've never had so much space, and certainly I think it's about efficiency in a house/room rather than actual space. Good storage will solve a multitude of problems.

So, without more preamble, here is the plan for the space. I've chosen the following finishes:



Flooring in the same Forbo Marmoleum (linoleum) used throughout the entire extension "Piet Hein Eek Dutchdesign M0512". It's the very dark blackish colour that is hard to see against the carpet in the bottom right corner.

I've chosen the Nina Campbell "Farfalla" wallpaper with the beautiful butterflies and fern leaves in metallics on it. I think it will flow well with the rest of the house, which was my primary reason for picking it over others (although I did have a look at the Manuel Canovis "Pali" wallpaper that I'd loved in images, and really didn't like the colour in person - too mauve-ish rather than pink).

The laminate for the cupboards and bench top (although if we have leftover stone from the kitchen we'll use that instead) is Laminex "Parchment" my all time favourite white. The backsplash is in the same tile as the kitchen, although I'm considering instead doing a mirror backsplash to throw more light into the room and also to reflect the wall of wallpaper opposite it. It's about line ball on cost, so I just have to see if the tile shop will let me return some of the tile I've already bought from them first.

For the cupboard pulls, there won't be any for the overhead cupboards, and the lower cupboards will be an Industrial Expression finger pull in satin stainless steel. It's shown in the top right (the more rectangular sort).They're made in Melbourne and will match the finish on the tap that I bought 3 years ago on super sale from Mary Noall (a Hansgrohe mixer with pull out spray).


The sink is a large drop in stainless steel Abey (Latrobe 70), also purchased half price from the Mary Noall warehouse sale 3 years ago. It's been sitting in our shed ever since.... I've also chosen an Industrial Expression 'Valiant' towel rail to be suspended underneath one of the overhead cupboards as a clothes hanging rail (for those odd occasions when I do ironing and need to hang a shirt or dress up). It's 900mm long, so will definitely be long enough. These two images via Industrial Expression


So, on to the design. I have a long thin space, so one wall has a run of cupboards, with a short end available for space as well. There is a sliding door that leads from the kid's play room into the laundry, and the door leads to outside and is a full height steel door. Here's a picture of it minus the glass.


I decided against having a washer and separate dryer - I'm aiming to do most of my drying by line using a hanging laundry maid in the room (high ceilings mean that once winched up out of sight it will leave the floor area clear, and as hot air rises it should dry fairly quickly) or outdoor clothes line. So I've instead bought a new 8KG front loader (Siemens) and a combined washer/ dryer from Bosch. That way, I can do two loads of washing at once, or use the dryer when I really need to. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to getting a bigger washing machine - my current 13 year old Asko (which has been an excellent washing machine) is only 5KG's so I feel like I'm constantly doing laundry.



They are side by side up the end of the run of cupboards, there is the sink unit and then next to it 3 deep drawers for linen. The utility cupboard is at the end of the run of cupboards and will house the laundry baskets, ironing board (I decided against a cupboard in wall one from Robinhood because of the wallpaper), vacuum and then general stuff like Christmas ornaments etc. The run of overhead cupboards will house the vases and other bits and pieces.



Next to this is the locker unit for the children. It has 3 cubby holes at the base that will fit a basket on castors to keep shoes in, I'll have a bench seat cushion made up, and it's backed in cork board to stick school notices on/ reminders etc. 3 Hooks for blazers and bags and a shelf above for other baskets to hold hats/ sunscreen etc.



So that's it. Not overly complicated, and I think it has enough storage. The builder told me he might get on with this asap so that I can stop doing laundry on the veranda - how nice that will be! At the moment I live in terror in case something drops on the floor as I'm pulling it out of the washing machine as there's a certainty of having to rewashed it from the dirt it picks up. The wallpaper will arrive in a week and a half, so that is also exciting... things are starting to come together at long last.

46 comments:

  1. I don't like doing laundry either but one of the things that I loved when we first viewed our house was the size of the laundry room. Everything dries on the traditional laundry maid which can be winched up high out of the way. Plenty of storage is so important too. You've chosen a lovely wallpaper which will make the room less functional looking - a good idea as you are likely to be in there quite often ( hopefully not too much!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. miss b - do you have pulley? You're old school too!

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to have the winch up laundry maid - airing racks inside are awful, and my husband hates seeing them around the house. At least if I'm stuck in the laundry I can look at the butterflies and they won't make it seem quite so arduous (I hope). xx

      Delete
  2. That is the size of many London kitchens!!! a play area in the laundry? Geez if you have space you should get a media room in there...Such a great idea about the washing machines, although I am more envious about the washing line :) I miss having that sun dried feel on things but if I started hanging out laundry I would get the police called on me. I do wish I could do dry cleaning at home...I am not making any decision at the mo bc I am so exhausted debating every single choice! Love the wallpaper - so elegant xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I had the old washing machine in the kitchen in London, and the whole kitchen would have been smaller than my new laundry. But, I had no children.... I don't know how people do it without more space. I love a washing line. I know a lot of people hate how crisp their clothes go on them, but I love it - it feels so fresh to me. I think you should hang out laundry - string a line across your street to the neighbours mews and make it look Italian! xx

      Delete
    2. OMG - if i did that then they would get all mafia on me and throw water on me as I walked home!

      Delete
    3. I've never ever hung out washing even though no one can see it, it just seems too old school, I have the dryer on all summer!

      Delete
    4. There's no way you want to do that in Australia - too hot in Summer!

      Delete
    5. I was a single working mum for several years and the ease and speed of drying in a clothes dries has never been beaten by line drying. I can wash, dry and remake 4 queen beds and a king in half a day!

      Delete
    6. True enough KL - and if you fold it quickly enough out of the dryer you don't have to iron anything. xx

      Delete
    7. .....and ironing is easier because everything is softer! And towels fluffy and soft! But you'll never beat line drying for whitening whites and stain removal! I have a friend who line drys and brings in damp clothes for a final spin in the dryer.. Best of both worlds?

      Delete
    8. line drying is cheaper too..

      Delete
  3. Fab wallpaper, I can't make head nor tail of those blueprints , things like that just hurt my head. A laundry room would be heavenly, one day I want a waste disposal whizzer thing in the kitchen too - it's very primitive in here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people can't read plans... at least, that is what I've found with client work in the past (and now with my husband, who is constantly surprised at developments on site, despite approving all the plans....). I'm thinking your house is hardly primitive... you've got some beautiful wallpaper and fabrics in your place, so I'm sure you're not exactly doing your laundry on the rocks by the stream!! xx

      Delete
    2. Well maybe not that bad! I thought of your huge undertaking/renovations today, I had ordered a new gate to be fitted next week, nooooooo, they came when I was out, hacked down my ivy, and put a different gate from what I ordered in the wrong place. Thought I was going to end up in an asylum, I do not know how you cope with such a grand renovation.

      Delete
    3. Oh no! That's pretty much the unwritten rule that a builder will usually turn up when you're not home and then do something major in the wrong spot. I guess everything works out in the end, but the windows last week did nearly cause me to have a breakdown!! xx

      Delete
  4. I adore that Nina Campbell wallpaper...I've been wondering about how to incorporate it into a future space (at the very least, perhaps making a framed artwork on a gallery wall etc). And I am totally envious of your laundry space...I have the typical UK design of the washer in the kitchen - at least in the new flat it is behind a cupbaord door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you do a feature wall in your entry perhaps? It has such a good neutral background colour that you could easily paint the other walls to be more neutral. I remember the laundry in kitchen well - the first place I lived in (which was dreadfully built) we discovered that the sink would drain into the washing machine.... which meant that if you were doing laundry and washing dishes at the same time, you'd find your washing would have stray bean shoots on it and smell of soy sauce.....xx

      Delete
  5. Envious! My laundry is hidden behind doors in the powder room & I ached for a laundry chute from the upstairs family bathroom however it would have deposited the filthy laundry in the entrance hall at the bottom of the stairs which is not a good look. Husband took me to Howard's storage World on weekend & coughed up for an Elfa solution to the eternal folding dilemma....would have preferred to spend that much $ on something more decadent yet it will streamline my poor washing centric life. Wish it had butterflies.....Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know my Mum pioneered the laundry cupboard back in the early 80's when they renovated our family home. We had a big enough house and block to accommodate a separate laundry, but she thought a laundry was a total waste of space (she hated laundry), so put one in the family bathroom in a cupboard. I don't personally think it worked well for a family of 5, but she thought it was fine...
      Laundry chutes are a godsend with a two storey house. The place we rented in Melbourne was two storeys and I used to throw all the laundry over the railing, then go downstairs to collect it. It didn't look great if someone knocked on the door mid way through though...! xx

      Delete
    2. Oh I have only ever seen a laundry chute in America - so fancy!

      Delete
    3. Heidi
      The laundry will be fabulous - love the wallpaper. So funny that our DIL has chosen it for younger daughter's room.
      Also funny about laundry chutes. When my brother and I were children our parents had a house built with a laundry chute from the kitchen straight down into a unit in the laundry below (the block was sloping so the back of the house was two storeys). For the first few weeks after moving in my brother and I used to wait for our parents to go out and then we'd drop down the laundry chute, over and over again. We thought it was such fun. Our parents would probably have been horrified. Luckily we got bored fairly soon with doing this. Best wishes, Pamela

      Delete
    4. She's picked well Pamela! Hilarious about the laundry chute- that would definitely have run through my mind as a child too! I had an interesting feature in the first little unit that I lived in when I moved out of home - there was a wall of built ins between the dining room with the laundry behind - one of them you could open out from both sides, so you could drop the tablecloth and napkins in from the dining room, then open it up from the laundry. It was a great feature, although such a tiny place it was slightly odd! xx

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous and well-thought-out design! The best laundry room I ever had was upstairs in a peculiar extra space that led to a room over the garage built (but not finished) by previous owners. They had roughed in plumbing for a "half bath," kind of a stupid idea for the guest room that was not to be. I put the washer and dryer in the ex-bath, and it was fabulous. When did anyone ever change a bed or get undressed in a basement?

    I am loving your plans. Please let me know when the laundry is operative, so I can plan my first-ever trip to Australia, bringing accumulated laundry along instead of husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great idea to have a laundry room upstairs if you have 2 storeys. That's not at all common here in Australia, but it makes perfect sense - all that leg work dragging things up and down stairs.....
      I can assure you that there are many better things to see rather than my future laundry room! But if you do arrive with a suitcase load of dirty clothes, you're most welcome to pop in for a cup of tea while we do the washing.. xx

      Delete
  7. So envious that you have a separate laundry room!! We have a laundry closet - a double door closet in the hallway of the second floor, with front loading washer and a dryer stacked on top. It saves lots of space, but I always end up folding the laundry on my bed. The wallpaper you chose is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fold laundry in the strangest place too - mostly on the sofa in our bedroom, or on the sofa in the study. I can't wait to have someplace dedicated for it.. there's always a basket full lurking somewhere visible at the moment. xx

      Delete
  8. I love line-dried clothes. Here in SC the humidity doesn't go well with drying clothes outside, so I've been using my rack that we bought in France. Takes up too much space in the kitchen, but then again when I'm doing laundry the doors are open showing the mess within anyways. Jealous of your laundry room even though you're still washing clothes on the veranda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually got to the stage where I can't imagine a proper living situation - I'm so used to dragging the laundry out the front door to the veranda.... I'm going to save myself so much time I think!!
      Humidity is a problem - nothing worse than stinky mildew clothes!

      Delete
  9. This looks great Heidi... the space looks like it will work really well. So funny that your husband just let you get on with it! I had a similar experience this spring when I re-did my laundry room. I have a small room which the previous owners had done a terrible DIY job on which meant that it was really underutilised. You couldn't really store that much at all and it wasn't wide enough to have counters on both sides. I did the design and was really pleased with how it turned out. Our wonderful carpenter made me floor to ceiling sliding doors in 3 panels to hide a elfa system of shelves and draws. I chose some lovely tiles and paint colours to give the room a bit of interest. Now I can fit so much in the room, it's great (and essential with 2 children)! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect Charlotte! I remember talking to someone once who was living in a big family home, and compared to me (living in a little cottage), she had worse storage and her house was always a mess. It really makes such a difference, and I'm sure you've found it much easier to live with a decent laundry at your place. xx

      Delete
  10. An exciting laundry plan. I love all your choices. I ordered a sample of the nina campbell butterflies, but it never arrived. I wanted it for A's room. Never mind. I do agree having a proper laundry is key in keeping a nice home. You will have the storage space to pack away all that necessary clutter. The steel door is just heaven.
    I fold my laundry as I take it off the line and into the basket then put it away asap, or else it will sit there for a week or two (which happens often) Or on my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever do want a sample, just ask me (although that Schumacher one has taken forever... but Seneca (who stock NC) are very efficient - I ordered it on Wednesday and it'll be here next week!)
      I try to fold after taking it off the line straight away, otherwise it does tend to hang around. The laundry mountain is generally the ironing. I never find time to get though it all! xx

      Delete
  11. Very glam wallpaper for a laundry! With all those butterflies you won't feel sad about not doing the laundry outside any more...hehe! But seriously, it looks absolutely gorgeous, and such a luxurious amount of space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No indeed Virginia - it will bring the outdoors experience inside. Minus the dirt and extremes of temperature!! It is a luxurious amount of space, I feel lucky I managed to keep it in the plans as I had to give away a few other things during the whole design process...xx

      Delete
  12. L.o.v.e the wallpaper selection! The plans look great too....you won't know yourself and might, might enjoy the chore more! I think reflecting the wallpaper in a splash back mirror is an excellent idea! The architectural details in hanging rail and handles really will lift the room....I love details like these being well thought out. Oh and your steel glazed window and doors are spectacular!!!!! Happy progressing!!!!! X kl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will quite like going into my laundry! It might end up being my quiet hiding space from the kids!! Now I just need it all built to enjoy it! xx

      Delete
  13. Fabulous wall paper- and how luxurious having a proper laundry room. Sadly, I have a cupboard option at present, and spend my days folding laundry in the lounge room (whilst watching trashy television). Also, love the indoor hanging concept. Look forward to hearing of your progress next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The progress at the moment is fairly dull - wiring! Doesn't make for good photos I'm afraid. But things are steaming along now, and I'm scrambling to keep up.
      I'm very excited about having a laundry, sad as that seems! xx

      Delete
  14. GORGEOUS wallpaper~ Looks like fun stuff!

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liv, hopefully I'll want to spend time there!

      Delete
  15. Id never think of half those things.very clever ... made in Melbourne did I read that correctly ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did! Industrial Expression are a small company, and their stuff was fairly innovative when they launched around 15 years ago. Now you can find much cheaper knock offs, but as I only have 5 cupboard pulls, the rail and hooks I thought it was definitely better to support them. Plus their things are really well made. xx

      Delete
  16. I think you and I are both in exactly the same place with our excitement levels over having a real actual laundry. Love your plans, the end wall with the locker for the kids is fantastic. I am doing something similar along our long wall, some hooks for bags and somewhere for shoes. Great choice in wallpaper too, funny you have chosen gold with butterflies and I am coveting silver with birds at present, then I get distracted by embossed versions and then a print your own option. So many choices! Best of all I think your concept of two washing machines is fantastic for a large family. I too rarely use the dryer as it is so hot up here in summer that most loads snap dry within an hour and I find it quite therapeutic pegging it all on the line whilst I boost my vit D. mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see your laundry Mel, suspect that it will be in before mine too dammit! The two washing machine idea was from my Aunt - she's a total genius at running a household, and it made total sense to me. I only need a dryer as a backup for the days when I'm caught short and the school uniform hasn't been dried in time. Looking forward to seeing your wallpaper choices, they sound lovely xx

      Delete
  17. Love, love love and cannot wait to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.