It's been a busy weekend. I have arrived home a little weary, and most certainly all talked out after catching up in Melbourne on the weekend with the bloggers known as Faux Fushia and Romy from Diary of a Hobart Housewife, plus blog commenter Pamela (who knows them both from the Garden Tour they all took earlier in the year in England). It was such a fun weekend - non stop talking, a bit of light shopping, breakfast/ lunches and dinners out and a few cultural highlights.


We all arrived in Melbourne on Friday, and had dinner at Cafe e Cucina in South Yarra. I wore this navy Lela Rose dress with my gold shoes and clutch and fishnets. Cafe e Cucina unfortunately disappointed this time - far too noisy due to large group tables. It got to a point where I turned around and asked the group of young guys sitting behind us to turn the volume down as we literally couldn't hear each other talking. To their credit they were apologetic, but this is not normally something I would do... so that means they were really, ridiculously loud. I really hate not being able to hear in a restaurant. I am turning into a grumpy old person.

Saturday was a gloriously warm and sunny day. We hit the ground running with a tour of the cultural sights of the Paris end of Collins Street (as it is known) in the city.


Here's Romy and Faux Fuchsia admiring the Hermes Halloween themed windows. They had crows made of paper and matching black Hermes accessories showcased, just in case you're in need of some inspiration for your Trick or Treating maybe?


Romy managed to confuse the four Hermes sales staff by asking them to find the hidden monkey on this scarf for her (it's the signature of the artist). At one point they were all gathered around it staring intently.... It would have been the best time to run off with one of the bags on display (most likely my only chance of ever getting my hands on a Hermes bag).


We then popped into Paspaley. The sales staff are so lovely and let us try on lots of necklaces. Here is Faux Fuchsia in an $88,000 strand of baroque south sea pearls. Pamela had a strand worth $230,000 on that looked like large gum balls. They really do make your skin absolutely glow - If I had to choose between that or a facelift, I'd definitely take the pearls any day as an anti ageing trick.


We visited Christine, purveyor of excellent accessories, and right next door to the floral designer Pollon, which I tried once before to take a photo of for the blog but finally managed to do so in a non blurry way.



After visiting Miss Louise, Chanel, Prada, and Dolce e Gabanna we stopped for lunch at Bistro D'Orsay which has beautiful painted ceilings and stuffed ourselves for lunch with with Rillettes and pasta. Somehow the day passed in a blur, and despite covering a geographical area of approximately 200 meters, we spent 7 hours doing so.


Dinner on Saturday night was at Grossi Florentino, so we all frocked up and I wore this bargain drapey black silk Oscar de la Renta dress (70% off with an extra 30% off from the Outnet), matched with my Shoes of Shame on their first outing and a pink patent clutch bag.







My photos from dinner are dreadful. I need to sort out the lazy camera situation. Iphone photos do not do it justice. It was a beautiful setting and the food was outstanding. This was the chocolate souffle I had for dessert.


 Pamela had the best vintage Alligator handbag with bamboo handle from the 50's. The bags were given their own mini seats next to ours at the restaurant - very fancy.


Sunday, Melbourne turned on the weather charm by lashing us with rain and a maximum of 14 C. We headed to Albert Park, my old stomping ground, to have breakfast and a browse in the shops, including The Avenue Bookshop, which I think is the best bookshop in Australia. They have a fantastic range of Art and Design books, and the sales staff are often Authors or at the very least absolutely passionate about books. We managed to while away an hour in there.



We then went on a slow stroll around St Vincent's Gardens just around the corner from the Village. It is listed by Heritage Victoria and has beautiful terrace houses arranged around the Heritage garden square in the centre.




We admired everyone's front gardens and the beautiful old houses.



Then strolled through the garden square in the centre - it's modelled on the traditional London Garden Square, and there are only a handful in this format in Melbourne, this being the most Architecturally intact. All the iron railings around the park were taken out during WW2 for the iron, but aside from that the planting schemes and paths are intact. I used to practically live in this park (the playground part) when we lived in the neighbourhood, as do all the mothers in the area, as the houses in the area are generally very small - lots of tiny workers cottages.



 And so, I then returned home to an equally exhausted Mr AV who had held the fort while being inundated with work... he wasn't the most cheerful.

But in my absence my first Lady of Shallot rose by David Austin has opened. Isn't it pretty?



And a couple more flag irises. The garden is quite behind this year as it's been much wetter and cooler than usual.



The reno is moving along too - here's the finished exterior render, the first coat is now drying off for the final coat in grey



Inside the plasterboard is going up




And next week the existing old kitchen is going to be demolished... which means I'll be without a kitchen for a few weeks before the new one is completed, but also that I have to pack up the kitchen stuff and put it somewhere (where I don't actually know, we are losing even more space now). So I'm going to be a bit quiet on the blog front for a couple of weeks as I do the pack up and cope with the chaos. 

Be back in a couple of weeks..... I hope! Hope you had a great week too xx

51 comments:

  1. such a superior weekend in every respect!

    the diet starts today.

    Luff the blurred faces x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun - loved meeting you all, and am still feeling stuffed full like the piggies we were from all the delicious food xx

      Delete
    2. This Mrs Piggie too! Miss you all already! Though only just arrived home about an hour ago after first plane had technical problems. Finally all herded onto another plane. As we pulled out, there was my suitcase (the one with the vintage alligator bag and Chanel and Akira scarves!) out in the rain on top of a loaded baggage wagon on the tarmac. If very lucky they might fly home late tonight! Also still pining for those bubble gum pearls. Wonderful times! P xxx

      Delete
    3. I loved meeting you Pamela and so enjoyed all your funny anecdotes.
      Very sad to hear about the suitcase fate - seems like we were both fated though... my plane was switched at the last minute too due to a lightning strike on its way into the airport. I had a 1 hour delay, but fortunately my luggage arrived home with me!
      I really think those gum ball pearls had your name all over them!! xxx

      Delete
    4. Loved meeting you too. Suitcase was taxi delivered home about midnight last night. Then had to hang it all to dry as most contents (though not the alligator, thank goodness) soaking wet from being left out in the rain.
      Have finally figured out how those pearls can really be mine! Just need to pay $1000 a year for around the next 280 years!! P xxx

      Delete
    5. Oh no! That is a very sad and soggy end to a wonderful weekend. Hope all is ok with the contents of the suitcase.
      I think the payment plan sounds very reasonable...! xx

      Delete
  2. Your hair looked fab!! Nocturnal worryings not required.

    So glad you had such a great time.

    Good luck with the kitchen!

    T

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! And avoided nail distress by sticking with clear nail polish!! It was such fun - lovely girls to catch up with, and non stop chat. Hope the weekend was fun for you too! xx

      Delete
  3. Good grief, those pink heels are so high that it's no wonder you have your feet up! I can't wear heels that high anymore, am very jealous.

    Absolutely hilarious about taking out 4 Hermes staff in monkey finding duties...wonder what the other customers thought?

    And it sounds like 2 weeks without a kitchen should read "2 weeks eating in restaurants" (well it would be nice...!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shoes of Shame are definitely car to bar shoes. They are not meant for walking, at all!
      The monkey finding was very funny. There was no one else in the shop at the time, so thought they might not have noticed me doing a quick swap of my handbag for a display one!
      As for the two weeks... I have a very bad feeling it may stretch to 4 or possibly more. Fingers crossed it doesn't! xx

      Delete
  4. Heidi, I loved meeting you! The curious thing about blogging is that you don't need to start friendships from the very beginning....but rather over a glass of champagne in a french restaurant over lunch! Will be thinking of you as the kitchen is demolished....everything crossed that the next stage happens quickly & hassle free. Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved meeting you too! Can't wait for our next catch up, and yes it is a strange thing with blogging that you can start a conversation in the middle rather than at the beginning.... although doing either is always much more fun with a bit of champagne involved!
      I hope the kitchen and remains of the reno is hassle free too - I feel like we're due a break!! xx

      Delete
  5. Love this post!! You look like a proper little minx in those pink shoes. Great dresses. Sounds like an amazing and fun filled weekend all around. Too funy re 200 m in 7 hours. That place is a warren of weaving in and out of those alleys. I adore that pic of the florist - such a comforting sight. So hilarious re the monkey. Did Pamela take of pic of those gumball pearls? FF looks glowing in hers. I like your pearl necklace you have on. I think you may be right about the anti-ageing effects of pearls so will get that instead of a facelift. The houses in Melbourne look so sweet - thanks for the pics... Your reno looks good - moving along. Love the rose xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all the alleys - plus so many shops to cover!! My pearls look like the entry level pearls they are compared to the gum ball ones in Paspaley - think FF got a snap for Pamela. We were all egging her on to buy them but she strangely managed to resist. Just as I did with a $15,000 leopard print coat in D&G (it was so good, but so expensive). I highly recommend you investigate the pearl necklace theory.... and a visit to Paspaley when you're next in Dubai or Oz. xx

      Delete
    2. Laughing at entry level pearls. My fave Paspaley is in Broome. Amazing pearls on quite a rustic street. (Admittedly rustic street filled with high- end jewellers....) Gorgeous.

      Delete
    3. It's my dream to go to Broome one day. Have heard about the gob smacking pearls - once saw a $1M strand in Paspaley - it was on tour before going to its new home somewhere in the middle east! xx

      Delete
    4. I think Broome is great but maybe a teeny bit over rated?? Still worth a visit though and the beach is amazing - as are the pearls...

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous weekend. I was meant to be having a girls weekend next month but i'ts been delayed - boo! One husband is unavailable that weekend. Shoes of shame are spectacular.

    Two weeks without a kitchen *sounds* fun but I'm sure with 3 small children it will be very tiresome! The house is really starting to look more 'real'. How exciting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad about your girl's weekend!! It was a great break, and so much fun.
      I'm dreading the kitchen situation. This is really getting to crunch time with the level of discomfort. Hopefully the builder pushes everyone along and it isn't too bad (one can hope....!) xx

      Delete
  7. Heidi your weekend looked very fun. I love your pink shoes and the matching pink clutch bag! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fifi - was a great time. The Shoes of Shame enjoyed their first night out on the town - hopefully every night they attend ends up blessed with good food from now on! xxx

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a fab weekend Heidi. Love the pearls and your "car to bar" comment about the shoes of shame! My feet hurt just looking at the picture of them! Your renovations are looking good. Don't envy you having to pack up and store your kitchen stuff. I've done that a few times and its not good. When we renovated our kitchen for the first time (14 years ago), my husband had to cart me off to the hospital on the first day with acute appendicitis. It was so bad I thought I was going to die. On my way out the door I overheard the electrician say to the cabinet maker "she didn't even look at the kitchen". Last thing on my mind!! I wish you good health for your kitchen installation! Have a great week. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice break from all the reno stuff Jo. Good lord - appendicitis plus kitchen reno sounds dreadful!! As if you'd care less about your kitchen at that point! We've been kitchen less in Melbourne before, but I didn't have children at that point and worked full time. This is going to be interesting..... and not in a good way I think! xx

      Delete
  9. Oh what great pictures and what a fun weekend for you and the girlfriends! I must tell you - I loves those shoes - they are perfection and just the right colour!!!

    The house is looking great - it really seems to be turning the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best shoes - go with everything (except walking)!
      I'm hopeful we're turning the corner, although sadly it's going to get worse before it gets better. xx

      Delete
  10. What a great weekend ! Heidi ..you should have been on the garden tour with us ..where were you ...we missed you ...maybe you would like to join us next year when we travel domestically ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to go on the tour so badly!! Unfortunately I had a couple of commitments that made it difficult for the dates, plus 2 children at home and my in laws away meant I couldn't get help with the children (as my husband travels every week for his work it made it very difficult). Hopefully next time.... I still get pangs of envy when FF reposts her pictures from the tour! xx

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous post and I am loving the Shoes of Shame, best name ever. Those are seriously gorgeous shoes and perfect for your festive night out.
    Wishing you the best of luck with the kitchen commotion, it will all be worth it in the end but I hope it's not too painful and I hope it's all on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do feel a little shame faced about my lack of willpower with the shoes! Thank you for the good thoughts - I've been feeling quite ill about all I have to do in the next week to attempt to get organised, plus the disruption for the next few weeks... xx

      Delete
  12. Love these photos, so much fun! Excellent outfits, and you were right to get those shoes, you look amazing in them - worth every penny, I say! Melbourne looks beautiful with all those old houses and gardens. Hope the kitchen packing goes smoothly and with a minimum of stress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - I am very happy with the shoes, now they've had their first outing they're going to go on high rotation for the next few social outings. xx

      Delete
  13. Looked to be a GALA girls weekend. Fun to tag along virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't Melbourne the best? when all you bloggers get together do you talk about US? no not that US , us I mean .

    A flag iris I don't think I've seen one for ages I see snapdragons around now so who knows what's next.

    All the best for the next couple of weeks .. you can always put those fab shoes of shame on and pretend you're somewhere else

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We talked about blogging a bit, and a little bit about commenters I guess - the good and the bad!
      Unfortunately the Shoes of Shame are not site friendly... nor are they easy to walk in, so I think they'll be sitting in the shoe shelf for a couple of weeks! xx

      Delete
  15. OOOh the Shoes of Shame!! Such foxy shoes, laydee!!
    Just about to reply to your super email - thanks so much for all the great info!

    It looks as if you had a fab weekend, with lots of lovely food for your bodies and eyes!!
    I'm utterly gobsmacked by those pearls!
    I'm guessing a facelift would be cheaper?!

    In a stroke of strange coincidence, I booked a table at Cafe e Cucina for one of the nights we're in Melbs next month. Now wondering if I should cancel it and go for somewhere less noisy. I hate very noisy places.

    Hope renos go very well this week and that the kitchen is done super fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A facelift would be cheaper, but I think the pearls are nicer. Plus they're natural!
      Keep the booking at Cafe e Cucina - you'll be find on a Thursday. I've been so many times there, and this was by far the worst noise level ever. There were a couple of tables full of early/mid 20's who were heading out for a big night out and were in high spirits. Usually you can easily hear each other no problem, it's quite an intimate restaurant. xx

      Delete
  16. The house looks amazing... Good luck with the kitchen!
    Looks like you had a lovely weekend. I love the shoes of shame and I was close to getting that Oscar dress myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming along - thank God! I'm hoping to see a bit more progress considering we're now going to enter a very uncomfortable phase in the reno. The weekend was a lovely break away from the day to day, and so much fun to meet some blog friends too. You should have got the dress! I was beyond thrilled with nabbing it. I think it's a good classic, so hopefully will get a lot of wear. xx

      Delete
  17. Nothing to be ashamed of with those shoes. You looked the business. Love the story about the Hermes staff pouring over the scarf to find the hidden monkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite comical... by the time I thought to pull out my camera to take a photo they all moved away from the scarf xx

      Delete
  18. I've been wanting to ask you for the longest time where your kitchen is and what will come of it when you have your new kitchen. If it makes you feel any better, my kitchen is delayed. Won't be in till probably next week. Your weekend away looks fabulous. Going away with the girls is the best!! You come back with sore cheeks from laughing so hard. House progress looks really really good!!! WOOOOO. Christmas at your place this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The existing kitchen is one of the last rooms of the old part of the house, and it's going to be turned into S's bedroom (he currently shares with E), plus a bit carved out to make a cloakroom/powderoom.
      I was serious when I said I was all talked out - I met my match with FF in the talking stakes, that's for sure!
      There will be no Christmas at our place though - I shall be collapsed in a heap somewhere having made it that far! xx

      Delete
  19. Melbourne has so much to offer, doesn't it, Heidi? Do you miss living there since returning to Adelaide?
    Also, where do you get your hair cut and styled? It always looks fab.
    Melody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss bits of Melbourne, but I love living in Adelaide, so what I miss are my friends mostly, and the access to design stuff. It's fun to visit though every few months for a visit, but the traffic nearly drives me insane!
      I get my hair done at Orbe salon on The Parade xx

      Delete
    2. Yes, indeed, there isn't much traffic in Adelaide, to speak of. Thanks for the info about Orbe, I will have to check it out in the future. Anyone in particular to ask for when I go?
      Melody

      Delete
    3. We were stuck in a traffic jam for 45 minutes at 7.30 on Saturday night!! Ridiculous. It gets worse every year...
      I have Tara do my colour, I'm very fussy about it so don't let anyone else touch it. They're all good for cuts, so just ask for a senior stylist and you'll be right! xx

      Delete
    4. Unfortunately, by all accounts, it will only get worse! Melbourne is expected to have a larger population than Sydney in 20 - 30 years.
      Thanks for the hair advice.
      Melody

      Delete
  20. Such fabulousness all round, Heidi. Oooh, I'd have given my eye teeth to have joined you lovely ladies. What a lark it must have been! Can't wait to hear the lowdown from Romy. J x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am crazy about your outfits. First that Lela Rose one is stunning on you and love those colours. And in the second - those shoes - you will have to linky loo so I can oogle them at my leisure. So agree with you about the pearls which always look fabulous and glowy on the skin. I have yet to post any of the millions of i-phone photos I take of dinners, I end up making dinner looks like a pile of the same of stew. Not sure what is the trick there. I usually end up putting my pics through Instagram which at least injects a bit of light into them. (I just use Instagram for that rather than trying to get followers, i have about three followers, Tallulah, 12 and two of her friends.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well you certainly packed a lot into your fun weekend! I smiled when I read 200m in seven hours - that would have been me too. What a useful guide to Melbourne! The more I read about this city, the more I would like to experience it sometime. Great shops and restaurants and those heritage houses are fabulous. Your Oscar de la Renta dress was such a bargain and I imagine a very handy addition to your wardrobe as you can change the look with different accessories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.