I'm a little scatty at the moment - very much out of routine, and things are in a huge mess due to the chaos at home. So I thought I'd do a post of some of the random things I've done, or that I've been enjoying over the past few weeks, or some of the things that I like.


I've been enjoying the roses that are so abundant in Adelaide at this time of year - I keep meaning to stop and take photographs of the nature strips and the round abouts that are overflowing with roses. As I said last year, they grow like weeds in Adelaide, and this is the peak of the season. I've managed to pick a few bunches from my tiny front garden, the new orangey yellow David Austin Lady of Shalot is a really pretty addition to the garden this year. Here's a randomly placed bunch in my Isis Ceramics flower brick (the best thing ever is a flower brick - you can use all your short stemmed flowers and just shove them in and they look almost professional. Everyone needs one).



I love my $6 Isis flower brick (via ebay -the seller didn't know what they were selling)

I'm not sure I've ever recommended a beauty product before on the blog. I'm most certainly no expert on that front, but I thought this product was so miraculous I'd mention it here. It's Shu Uemura Stage Performer BB Perfector, and is a primer to use under your foundation. I really only wear foundation when I'm going out somewhere - it's too time consuming for me on a normal day, but I had heard that this gave your skin a good boost making it look dewy and perfect, which my skin is most certainly not at the moment. It works!! My skin looked amazing. It's much better than any primer I've used before (and I've tried a few), and so much better than foundation on its own, so despite the high-ish price, I'll definitely be buying it again (and a little goes a long way, so I think it will last me well).

I've got a few books on my Christmas/ Birthday list at the moment. I read about the new book by Collette Dinnigan called Obsessive Creative on Janelle's Library of Design blog, and thought it sounded fab, but then I saw that there is a special limited edition version, which comes with a silk scarf and individually designed cover. If you like her dresses, then I think the book is a must buy.

via penguin

And for a little feast of the eyes, I do love the new Collette Dinnigan Spring/ Summer collection

Something glamorous for a Christmas party perhaps


The perfect white summer dress

Blue and white love

images via Glamour Drops

They've got my name on them. Or ......maybe not with current, rather financially draining, renovations ongoing. I'll settle for the model's cheekbones though instead...!

Another couple of books on my list are Stonefields by Paul Bangay and the Folly de Grandeur by Nicholas Haslam. Stonefields is about the creation from scratch of Paul Bangay's (he's a very highly regarded Australian landscape designer) country property. It's a huge book (Romy says it's not a book to read in bed due to its heft), and rather expensive, which is why it's going on my Christmas/ Birthday list, rather than something I'll just buy for myself. Plus I love the anticipation of getting a good book...If you're lucky enough to be in Melbourne on the 23rd or 24th of November, you can buy tickets to go to the open garden weekend too. I'd so love to go....



Folly de Grandeur is about the Hunting Lodge, a tiny folly that was rescued by John Fowler (founder of Colefax and Fowler) and that was purchased after the death of John by Nicholas Haslam (another very well known and talented English designer). I'm sure it's full of great eye candy and information on the interiors (it's actually a very small house, so is full of clever tricks) as well as being well written (I enjoyed his autobiography/ memoir).



If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know I'm quite partial to passementerie (trimmings to those not familiar with the term, such as tassels, fringing etc). I love a bit of embellishment (in a reasonably restrained way), and this is probably why I'm drawn to things with a tassel

love this elegant YSL clutch (what will it look like without the Y now that it's plain old Saint Laurent?)



This range above from Anya Hindmarch's last Spring/Summer 2013 Collection was in  damask, and had beautifully fat tassels on the zip. I managed to resist the siren call of the combination of damask and passementerie, but it would've totally jazzed up a boring outfit. 

Finally, I'm going to leave you with a collection of random images that I just like. 


Hermes Scarf Igloo - I could almost camp in this, despite the cold



Wrought Iron peacock on gate



a Liberty Print Fiat. Just what a girl about town (with no children's car seats to accommodate) needs.





My favourite outfit from the Melbourne Cup - model Kate Upton in a delft inspired dress and looking a little more demure than she appeared on her last Sports Illustrated cover.

So a random post on random things, and I'll be back to talk about renovation news soon... it's kind of nice to take a mental break from it all with this post though! 

32 comments:

  1. Are the all from your rose bushes?? Whoa! Amazing. I think I mentioned that the very few plants I have are rosé bushes. I need to look for a brick myself.

    I love collette and heard that her last collection is sold out or something already as a memento? Or is that hype? I remember her old shop when it was still a lingerie shop on chapel. Luckily I still have her stuff from way back then...

    But yes like you I have no routine at the mo...

    Love all the books but I am looking forward to howardnslatkins book but those books look great. The bushes on Bengal books look like that Dutch designer whose name I forgot but he is on minty dons list.

    I am thinking I would like to make a blue and white chinoiserie dress bc it even makes Kate upton look sooo ladylike! Hope your renos still chugging along as it is meant to! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all from my roses! But I have planted a lot - I have maybe 34 now... so not that many roses considering the number of bushes. Get a brick - they're the best.
      The last collette collection isn't sold out - you can buy it online if you're so inclined as they do international shipping.
      Laughing at your iPhone/imac corrects in your comments on gardening books. Bane of my life at the moment!
      I love that dress. I actually think I would look better than Kate in it. Big call I know. Wish I knew who made it! xx

      Delete
    2. Monty don is a bit minty! But iPad is seriously annoying me! Half the time I am deleting argh!

      Delete
  2. Love this and the roses are divine!!! I like your little bits and bobs - all beautiful and just a nice way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried so hard to not plant roses in my garden, but I couldn't help it and they've snuck in! Have a lovely day Wendy xx

      Delete
  3. So many beautiful images here. Your roses are perfection, and you're right - a flower brick would be so useful! I must look out for one.
    The Collette frocks are lovely - I don't usually like a lot of her things as they're too posh for my lifestyle, but those blues are just beautiful.
    I've never used a primer, but I might just give this a go some time. Not even sure where in Aus Shu is stocked these days.... I usually buy it from Liberty when I'm in London!
    I hope things get calmer soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the primer- it really is so good! It's stocked at David Jones now - the link on the page leads to you DJ's, but I bought mine on Strawberrynet. xx

      Delete
    2. Hmm, very intrigued by it. It's not cheap, but perhaps cheaper on ?strawberry net.
      I didn't notice the link before. I'm blaming the iPad rather than my ageing eyesight!

      Delete
  4. Very sad news about Collette Dinnigan shutting up shop…one of my favourite Australian designers...

    ps - your roses are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's one of her best collections I think - but she was obviously feeling overextended with life. I think she'll be back though, one day... xx

      Delete
  5. love this post! jealous of your roses and brick !

    you should buy all those Colette frocks before she shits up shop they are so you!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your typo has made me laugh!! I'm not sure how heavy I'll go in on the Collette - I only have one of her frocks and it's the one I wore for my engagement party 14 years ago. Shall go and trawl DJ's in Adelaide which may well have some stock left to choose from... xx

      Delete
    2. Heidi you're so clever to find out about the special edition package of Collette Dinnigan's book! I bought my copy in a book store and then discovered the special edition on line when I tried to track down the Meurice scarf from the book (sadly doesn't seem to be in current collection). Have been kicking myself ever since as would have much preferred the book/scarf combo if I'd only known before. I have to admit to being puzzled as the cover in Janelle's blog is quite different from the book shop edition - should have worked out that it was a special edition! Duh!
      Just loved FF's typo! It helped cheer me up!
      Knew Romy would be sad too! Good luck to you both with finding something fabulous from the last collection! Plse both post what you buy! Also FF!
      Love the rose brick and your roses! The primer sounds interesting too. Pamela xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh Heidi, haven't you heard the dreadful news?! Collette Dinnigan is shutting up shop at the end of the year! After she made the announcement last week all of the stock in her online shop sold out within 48 hours! A friend gave me her new book to console me and I have been avidly pouring over it and reconciling myself to the fact that I will NEVER have another Collette Dinnigan frock and I adored her work (have about 8). So sad. You had better jump in the car RIGHT NOW and drive to DJ's and see if they have anything left and BUY it! Seeing that Hobart is a total Collette Dinnigan wasteland, my hopes go with you. Fingers crossed they have that beautiful long silver dress in your size! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was out of phone/ internet range that week on the boat! But I have caught up, there are still things in the online shop, just not the whole range. Can't get to DJ's as too busy!! But I shall go in tomorrow maybe and see. I really don't need any more dresses, but I spose there's always room.... try her website though - you might find something that suits you xx

      Delete
  7. Love your roses and brick bargain- so pretty. I don't trust that Hermes igloo one bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look a little like it might blow away in a slight breeze... but it's so pretty! xx

      Delete
  8. Your roses are stunning!! Wow! The only blooms I get around here are my orchids and my tea (camellia) plants. Thanks for all the lovely photos. I'm sorry to hear that Collette Dinnigan is closing up shop. Holt Renfrew (Canadian luxury store) used to carry her designs on occasion and I always thought they were really nice. Thanks for the recommendation on the Shu Uemura BB cream, I will definitely check it out. Hope things are going well with the on-going renovations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd take Orchids Louise, especially as I'm quite gifted at killing them...! I'd love you to review the Shu Umera cream, plus explain to me what exactly this whole BB cream thing actually is (it seems to be the new 'thing' at the moment, but I have no clue what it's supposed to mean/do). xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the blue and white Melbourne Cup outfit. Ladylike but not boring. Plus the hate matches perfectly.

    Sad that Collette Dinnigan is shutting up (or shitting up...!!) shop. I do like her frocks.

    Your roses look gorgeous. Summer seems to have hit here with a vengeance so mine are looking a bit tired. Have given them a good deadhead so hopefully they will recover. We have had one 40+ degree day (lovely) and our first decent fire yesterday which was on a neighbour's property near our boundary. Fun times. All under control very quickly though as fortunately yesterday was not a super hot/windy day.

    Best go - Friday and need to get to work.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought about that outfit. If you ever do go to the cup T, you'll find a lot of girls who have confused race wear with the Brownlow medal award.
      I'm a bit scared about our summer ahead - cannot believe that you have already had your first 40 day!! It hasn't rained here properly for 3 weeks now, and I think we won't get any more until next May now - like last year.... xxx

      Delete
  11. Your roses are spectacular, what a perfect combo of colours. Very sad about CD, I almost bought one of her frocks last year but DJ's did not have my size. It was long and silk, sigh. Anyway, I would happily make do with the liberty print fiat, although now that I think about it, our vespa could look pretty good with a liberty makeover! Good luck with the reno progress, our kitchen company finally reappeared 6 weeks after we moved home, with the range hood cover. No idea when they are back with the rest! mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool you have a vespa - you could totally do a liberty print, it would look fab (although may put off your husband from ever riding it?). Reno progress has been slooooow. Although finally got benchtops today, so it's one step forward on that front. Now to wait a few days/ a week for appliances and I"ll be happy! Cannot believe you're still waiting after 6 weeks. Honestly... building... xx

      Delete
  12. Love these musings. Roses look amazing and thanks for the tip on the flower brick. I might have to look out for one. Folly book looks great too. Lots of Haslam around at the moment as he is doing a collaboration with OKA furniture. I love the roomsets that he has put together for it. Not convinced on the quality of OKA though - I would tend to go for Grange to get a similar style. Looking forward to seeing the kitchen! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get a flower brick, and you could have your pick of the beautiful Isis ones - I bought my Mum's from GTC about 14 years ago now. Hers is much nicer than mine... I saw that collaboration of Nicky's with OKA, and was curious about the quality - not good then? Shall post updated pics of the kitchen at the end of the week. It looks the same, but with benchtops at the moment. HOpefully by the end of the week we'll have a tap and handles and paint as well. xx

      Delete
  13. Dear Heidi, Romy and FF
    Loved all of your posts this past week, specially Romy's fashion parade of fabulous Collette Dinnigan dresses! Luffed them all! Hope you all find a last something special from final collection.
    Have stopped beating myself up over rushing in too soon to buy CD book when there was also a numbered edition (autographed) with special scarf out there. Yesterday after a lovely lunch out, husband and I were looking through books in the National Gallery shop when I came across the CD book/scarf package (hidden under a heap of other books). I bewailed my mistake and vented my regrets and darling G said "Why don't I get this one for you for Christmas!" (PS he also bought me a copy of Paul Bangay's Stonefields - love it too!) He wasn't worried by my protest that I already had the other copy.
    And apparently the CD package edition he bought for me is the only one that the National Gallery shop had acquired and all the staff (who know us quite well as we're both such bookaholics) were so envious. But they also told me they're trying to organise for Collette D to attend a book launch party in the Gallery and will put our names down for invitations if it happens. Husband has now said to take the other copy in and get that autographed too! So thrilled! Pammie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you've got the book!!! I've still got it on my list, fingers crossed.... Am also super envious that you're off to her launch party as well if she comes to Canberra. Am also super envious you already have Stonefields... lucky you - G knows the way to your heart! xx

      Delete
    2. He really does! Just as well after all this time! I'm keeping fingers crossed that Collette'll come to C.

      Hope the reno continues to progress. Know you'll be so impatient to have it all over by now! Also hope the windows are resolved, specially as only about 6 weeks to Christmas - and you just must be in by then! Fingers crossed again. P xx

      Delete
  14. Dear Heidi, great to see your beautiful Lady of Shalot blooms. Alas Melbourne weather has not been as kind to my plantings of same :-( Melbourne weather needs to lift its game with more sun and less wind. Best wishes as you move towards the finish line with your reno. K x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been unseasonably cold here, so I always think that in Melbourne it's at least 2 degrees cooler - hopefully it will improve soon and you'll see some more. It's such a pretty colour in a bouquet - hopefully you'll be picking a big bunch soon. xx

      Delete
  15. what a nice post so much work //we are very appreciative. Saw some gorgeous roses outside the supreme court yesterday was very tempted to pick them but thought better of it .

    yes amazed at CD closing down, I wish I had all those clothes from other long gone Aust. I tossed out over the years. As for omitting the Y from YSL ..Y I ask

    Raining here in Sydney ..good ..it was v cool yesterday ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Think picking the roses would perhaps have not been the wisest move if they were outside the courthouse!!
      We have had such a cool Spring smr, I'm thinking we're going to be in for a blast for Summer, and probably very soon xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.