A few months ago I wrote a post called Home Grown highlighting Cable Melbourne, a company that (fairly unusually these days) designs and manufactures beautiful knitwear in Australia. There were a lot of interesting comments on that post, and I said at the time that I'd write about a few of the other companies that I knew of, and one of them is Elizabeth V who manufacture night attire in Australia.


The woman behind the label used to own a successful women's boutique in Adelaide called Francesca's, on Unley Road. She eventually retired and closed it down, but kept hearing other women her age bemoaning the difficulty of sourcing decent night wear - meaning pyjamas and nighties that were made of pure silk or cotton. Most of what is available in the market in Australia are fabric blends (poly instead of silk) or are stamped all over with horrifically cartoonish prints. Or if made of pure cotton, they're incredibly frumpy. But not everyone wants to go to bed dressed as their 20 year old self, or their future 90 year old self either for that matter.


the horror. Peter Alexander onesie

So her goal was to accommodate women who did not want nighties with shoestring straps and large panels of see through lace through the front, boudoir style (and never particularly practical from a getting kids breakfast in the morning point of view either, let alone answering the door to the parcel delivery man), but who still sought elegant and attractive night attire that was comfortable to wear, were made of natural fibres and, most importantly of all, constructed to last.


After her years in the fashion retailing business, she knew what women wanted, and despaired at the lowering of standards over the years. And so, Elizabeth V was born.



All the items in the collection are made in Adelaide, where the owner can oversee production. Seams are french seamed (double stitched) so that they don't fray or come apart - her aim was that these would be items you would wear for years until they were consigned to the rag bag at the end of their life.



The end result is a small capsule collection of luxurious sleepwear (with prices to match - this is not a cheap range, silk pyjamas are $485 for instance, but if you think about how long the garments are supposed to last it could be viewed as well priced long term). I think it also has wide appeal to any woman who likes luxurious natural (breathable) fabrics, simple and elegant detailing and construction that is made to last. And if you consider how much of your time you spend in bed in your lifetime, investing in comfortable and flattering sleepwear is never going to be a bad move.

So, another little Australian manufacturing and design business, this time from Adelaide, and highlighting quality over quantity and detailing to last the distance, which is quite nice in our throw away society.

All images via Elizabeth V unless noted. This is not a sponsored post.

33 comments:

  1. This is the company you mentioned on my post bemoaning dreadful nightwear I think? Hoorah for an Adelaide based manufacturer - good luck to her - and fabulous to see somebody doing something about such a tragic wasted situation! Not cheap though - I wonder how their sales are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! Agree, they definitely have a niche market- its sold through two boutiques (one in Woolarah and one in Adelaide) or online only. Not sure the owner is planning world domination! Xx

      Delete
  2. love them but $400 plus is just too spensive! I've got lots of silk pjs and nighties but I got them on the cheap in Honkers. The ones you've shown are divine though- and this is the issue- to support locals it is always going to cost more....sad really x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit expensive, and you're right - anything made in Australia is going to cost a lot.
      I used to get silk PJ's from Hong Kong as well, but they didn't last very long - no seam allowance, and they'd always tear at the sides on the pants. Of course, that had nothing to do with any weight gain... at all! xx

      Delete
  3. I always say oz does the best undergarments. I bulk buy stuff and they last. The price is steep but in oz a loaf of bread is just as high and if I had to choose between la perla and this for the side benefits I would give these lot a go. I do wish her well and just hope people might buy during the sales! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unfortunate that we're in one of the most expensive countries to live in the world... it shocked me when we were o/s last year how cheap things seemed in Europe, compared to here. But then again, we haven't had the full shock of the Financial Crisis here, so prices haven't come back at all. xx

      Delete
  4. I love all of these and they are so beautiful that you could wear them out of the house! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that - Collette Dinnigan started out making nighties and underwear, which girls started wearing as outerwear.... I remember my grandfather in law querying why there were so many girls wearing their nighties out in publict!! xx

      Delete
  5. Oh that first image is incredible, I'd wear that out for cocktails it is saturated with 1930's glamour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd look fab in it too Tabitha xx

      Delete
  6. Really gorgeous ..I wont bemoan the price as it's all been said and answered and as I always want Aussie goods.... etc etc ..the first one matching nightie and robe..what do you call that garment? ,,is v. pretty

    What has happened to Peter Alexander that is une Horreur !! (French ?sp?)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Alexander is the pits - he sold the company, and is a consultant... but I think it's lost its way, it aims purely for the 20 year olds. I always thought it was very funny on my first morning in hospital after having my first baby I was forced down to the 'meet other mums' session they were running, and walked into a sea of new mums dressed in the latest Peter Alexander pyjamas!! No onesies though sadly. That would have made me laugh even more. xx

      Delete
  7. Not a sponsored post huh? Talking up a brand with photographs included. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posts without photos are boring.

      This blog has 80 followers, which does not make it a popular enough blog to receive sponsored posts.

      I was trying to write a series highlighting Australian made garments, which I thought was a nice thing to do, considering how little manufacturing is now done in this country, and considering many of these brands are small without big advertising and marketing budgets. But thank you for your cynicism, not everyone in this world has ulterior motives.

      Delete
    2. It is a nice thing to do. Don't be discouraged by the above.
      Pammie xx

      Delete
    3. I agree with Pammie as for the anonymous comment How Rude!

      Delete
    4. Heidi, don't underestimate your blog with the 80 followers business because one of them is obviously Oliver stone ;)

      Delete
    5. Thanks smr x

      Naomi - I like to think it's quality, not quantity with followers!! xx

      Delete
    6. I talk about brands I like all the time and recently caused a web site selling stuff to crash with the influx of hits but I don't consider them sponsored because I am not paid or compensated. It's just stuff I like.

      x

      Delete
    7. That's what I've always liked about blogs, that it's someone's personal point of view, rather than a paid point of view, which frankly all the mags etc are nowadays.
      You hold a lot of power FF!!! I did manage to sell a few of the Tory Burch sequin dress when I linked to it (saw the sizes all sell out over that weekend, and the dress had been available for sale for a good month or so before then). But I suspect that was just a handful of dresses, and I certainly never caused the site to crash - who was it... ASOS??! xx

      Delete
  8. These look incredible, esp the top ensemble just so Carole Lombard and swooney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that first ensemble too, very classic xx

      Delete
  9. Heidi, thank you! Your post on Cable meant I became the proud owner of the most fabulous cardigan. Looks like I am about to acquire some new night attire. As you said, we spend around eight hours in bed why not be beautifully and comfortably attired.
    Ignore that snarky anonymous comment, I love that you are trying to highlight Australian made products, which are becoming rarer and rarer.
    PS love your CD choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've enjoyed your Cable cardigan Claire - lovely to hear from you, and thank you for your very kind words xx

      Delete
  10. My gosh Heidi, at last someone who has noticed that women's nightwear is absolutely hideous in Australia!
    I look and look and think, why hasn't someone here doing something better. The range you mentioned is stunning, but not in many people's price range I would think. The first thing I looked for on my one and only trips to France and Italy was nightwear made of natural fibres, and as you said, no Disney prints, no garish horrid lacy things and no granny florals...f and Ifound them in every shop and market I went to. All beautiful and reasonably priced. Always wondered why we couldn't do it here....?
    Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's a bit sad that everything manufactured here in Oz ends up costing an arm and a leg due to high labour costs... and I'm not sure what the general manufacturers have been thinking women want to wear to bed (or maybe they don't care?) it's all either slinky seductress, or cartoonish kiddie style gear. Nothing like the lovely classic things you've found overseas xx

      Delete
  11. What a lovely range of nightwear even if it is not in my price range and I could never justify spending that much. But lovely to read your blog :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was cheaper too Carol! Thanks for your comment xx

      Delete
  12. I love the one in the third photo. And wouldn't feel so guilty if I had a few more pyjama days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love you posting this Heidi. Back in the day (FF2010) Francesca's was my sister and mine favourite shop and in fact Sandy who used to work for Anne still remains one of my sisters dearest friends.
    Have heard how gorgeous the range is bad sadly have not had a chance to see it in the flesh so as to speak!
    Kate Bx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love the elegance and simplicity of these designs. Usually women's nightwear is either frumpy or tacky, and no in between. Thanks for sharing these local designers! It is so interesting to hear about them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. loved this collection of sexy night dresses ...loved the pics !!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.