After arriving home on Friday afternoon from our brief trip to Melbourne, we farewelled the last builder out the door for their January holidays, and started the mammoth clean up task. Unfortunately as so many trades were working up to the last minute on Friday, there had been no time for a builders clean... so I have spent the weekend cleaning out the cupboards in the kitchen before unpacking all the boxes from the shed. And I think Mr AV has mopped the floors approximately 8 times. They were filthy. Unfortunately it was not helped by a massive wind storm that blew through Adelaide on Friday afternoon and night - the dust that was swirling around our back garden was incredible, and the next morning our floors were again filthy from where the dust had made its way inside.



I know everyone is fascinated by how the linoleum has turned out - I am constantly talking about it to family, friends and builders as everyone is surprised by my choice. So I'll start with the floors.
The linoleum was installed from Monday through to Friday morning. I'm SO happy with it. It's modern looking without being hard - the dark grey colour matches perfectly with the slate that is going on the outdoor dining and veranda, but the simple expanse of the sheet flooring works exactly as I'd thought it does - a neutral backdrop that looks clean lined and unfussy - a non entity really. It cuts down a bit of the glare inside and grounds the space as the ceilings are so high. Where the sheets (they are about 2 metres wide) are joined they have done a weld join. This will settle down over a couple of weeks to be almost unnoticeable. I took a photo to show you with my keys next to it to give a sense of the scale.


The cost was about $9000 for the entire Dining, Living, kitchen, playroom and laundry area. A comparable cost for tiles of fairly average quality would be double that, good quality tiles or parquetry flooring would have cost 4 x's the price of the linoleum. So cost wise it's been a huge winner, and I think from an aesthetic point of view it looks great. I'm planning on buying a very large rug for the living area at some stage, and I'd personally prefer to put more money into that, then the floors. I think the rug would have more impact that the general flooring.


So, with the floors down we could finally unwrap our sofas, which were sitting outside with our dining table for the 4 days the floors were installed. If you've been reading along for a while, you may remember my post on Sofas, in which I was looking at a very expensive Italian modular sofa, and was replicating the layout using a Jardan one instead. Unfortunately, I couldn't replicate the layout successfully. Usually Jardan will happily customise your pieces as long as it doesn't compromise the overall design, however they wouldn't do this for me with a key piece. So I looked at an alternative and selected two of the Leila sofas. One is a 4 seater, and one is a 3.5 seater, both extra deep. I'm really happy with how they've turned out, the fabric is lovely, doesn't show dirt easily and they're extremely comfortable. I'll add colour in with cushions and the rug. At the moment everything is very tone on tone, which is nice, but we do like a bit of colour...


enormous 4 seater

The fireplace has had the slate backing piece installed and the fire box with fake logs etc put in place. Not that we'll be needing to light it for a while....


And the new speakers were installed, two on either side of the fireplace and simple in- ceiling ones in the dining area. I originally was going for non obtrusive speakers, however I decided that you could still see the non obtrusive ones anyway, so I was better off getting something that was sort of sculptural, and I think they work well on either side of the fireplace. Please ignore the enormous and ugly tv in the photos. I still have to sort this problem out in the new year.



In the dining area we've put the French 19thC cherry wood buffet in position after retrieving it from my Dad's where it has lived for the duration of the renovation. It's quite wide, which makes it perfect to serve food off of. Eventually we will be buying new dining chairs. I hate the Eames eiffel ones. I really think they have a design fault - we've had numerous people fall through the back of them when they snap the backs off leaning back on the chairs (we have the fibreglass shells). I think that as they were designed in the 50's, people were smaller and lighter, and probably sat up straighter than we do. I'd also like something that is more iron and modern, as it's got a bit too much wood going on in this area - it needs a better balance of old/new. The lamp won't stay in this space as well - It'll move to a side table in the living area. When we get a side table...



I took this photo of the outside dining area to show what it looks like from inside the space. To save money, I did away with a lined ceiling - I figured it was an outdoor area, so it could look like a more traditional veranda space. And I have to say I like the look better too.



As you can see, I've styled the photo below with plastic children's IKEA cups and a spirit level and black builders bin.



 The slate arrived, as I predicted, at 4.45pm on Friday. So it will sit there for about 3 weeks before the tiler returns to work and starts paving the outdoor area.

Inside, the kitchen has taken up all my energy for the past 2 days. I spent a lot of time crawling in and out of cupboards cleaning them, and then lugging boxes from the shed and unpacking and trying to remember where I was planning to store everything. So after about 14 hours of solid, hard work, I've got reasonably sorted.



My blue Kitchenaid (wedding gift from my sisters back in the Olden Days) is on the bench top.


Still have to find the energy to put a few bits and pieces away



But my plate drawers are neat and tidy



as is the cutlery drawer



Pull out spices next to the cook top and oven



S's bedroom has been wallpapered, and his new light fitting installed. The light fitting is extra big (sometimes it is good to play with scale), but the colour was all wrong with the wallpaper and fabric. I should've paid more attention to the rep when he told me that it was not that close to off white. So I took to it with a spray can, and it looks perfect now.

The before


In the children's playroom, the wall of metallic blackboard paint has been applied. They can stick their magnets to it, and draw at will. And hopefully leave the wallpaper alone. 



The light fitting has also been installed there.



And here is the remains of the mess that is left from the kitchen unpack. After the kids wallpaper is installed I'll start the playroom unpack. Which will not be much fun either. But I'm gradually getting there, even if things are not really organised anywhere at all in the house.


So I'm off to push the mop around again, and will be back after Christmas. 

47 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi, I love it! am a big fan of the Lino. let's face it, it is a family friendly, forgiving option. we have cork in our dining/ kitchen areas. I won't hear a word against it- when my boys drop a glass on it, it bounces back instead of smashing as in our previous house with white tiles. And they only eed to be mopped weekly instead of daily in our previous house. The rest of the house looks impressive too. love the large cutlery draw. Congrats on Making it in time for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO family friendly - it simply doesn't scratch at all. After seeing all sorts of things dragged over it (bits of gravel, sand, furniture), if we'd have floor boards I would've been very unhappy. The tiles and smashing thing is also v. important to me. This is not as soft as cork, but still far better than tiles. So pleased we're living in the back, even if it is fairly filthy and disorganised! Have a great Christmas xx

      Delete
    2. Ladies, could you give me your floor manufacturers? I am beginning my search for cork flooring and love the look of Heidi's gray lino. In a previous home we installed the Marmoleum brand in our kitchen using 2 colors of brown in 3ft squares set on diagonal. Our current home calls for one continuous color (open concept rooms).
      Thank you soooo much - we are living with exposed concrete slab!

      Delete
    3. Hi Linda,
      The lino was from Forbo, and is the Marmoleum brand - I'm not sure that there is another brand available? It's still made in Scotland on the original mills. Forbo also do cork flooring. If you're interested in the sheet linoleum, just ask the flooring people you use - it's generally used in commercial settings, so they never push it on people, more the linoleum tiles, but I really like the sheet linoleum and it comes in a huge array of colours.

      Delete
  2. Can't believe it! Looks like a home now! Wow so much to comment on.

    The Lino looks great. I never outed it as I know someone who lives in a huge space and he always does a light blue lino( he is lo an architect) he says it gives enought color and thn keeps rest neutral. But yours looks fab. I would use it myself but our spaces are so choppy and i don't want to have meetings with everyone but I think if we do the basement it will definitely be an option. I never knew the issues with those chairs...I always feel snug in them. But it just seems to flow so nicely from all the zones. You guys must be sooo chuffed! Ps your dishes look very comfy in their new home too...xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue lino? That's interesting. I think colours work differently in London than over here - although blue would look great at a beach house maybe, and probably dark floors wouldn't work b/c of the light.
      The eames chairs come in two different types of shells - polypropylene and fibreglass. I went with fibreglass as it was more 'authentic', however they snap really easily, whereas I think the polypropylene wouldn't. They've not been good... Mr AV can't wait to get rid of them and finds them uncomfortable (but he is tall).
      I'm very happy to be in - still lots to do though. And then I have to tackle the dust bowl/ garden. xxx

      Delete
  3. love the lino and the kitchen and wallpaper! so happy for you!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FF - it's happy all round here that we're finally in! xx

      Delete
  4. Those couches look so cozy and snug! I wish I had enough space to put them in my living as well!
    By the way, Merry Christmas!
    laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Laura - they are very comfy, and it's so nice to have the space to have more than one sofa after all these years xx

      Delete
  5. Love it Heidi - it all looks wonderful and well done!!!! Enjoy the holiday and try to get a little rest - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I'm looking forward to lots of lazy post Christmas days. After I finish the move in and unpack...! xx

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! From a building site only days ago it's now a beautiful home. And this is really just the beginning. When your Jam Factory light fitting is installed over the dining table, with rugs and scatters cushions and all the other things finished, it will be superb. You must be exhausted though - and thrilled!
    Have you considered a large black or charcoal old style wrought iron chandelier with real candles hanging down from those high beams in your outdoor dining room? Can imagine some sort of spectacular hanging lamp there!
    Happy Christmas!! Pammie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the light fitting - they sent me some sketches this week, and it's looking great. Lots of decorative touches to go - it all feels a bit empty at the moment, but it will come together eventually. I love the sound of the chandelier, that would be quite stunning... shall give it some thought. Happy Christmas xxx

      Delete
  7. Wow! So glad for you to have your home back for Christmas, and it looks wonderful!!! Wishing you and your family a merry Christmas and happy New Year, joyeux Noel & bonne annee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liene - have a wonderful Christmas and new Year too xx

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, it looks fabulous, with the clean lines and the designer look. Have a very happy Christmas with your family !xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SB, it's a happy Christmas that we've managed to move in at long last. Have a wonderful Christmas too xx

      Delete
  9. The whole space looks amazing. What a lot of work and I wish I was there to help out with my own mop. The blackboard wall is brilliant. Lino is excellent, I did that in our previous house in the children's playroom and it was so forgiving. Yours is very chic looking, that dark neutral gray. Your idea of adding softness and colour through a rug is perfect. And those sofas look large and squishy as they should be!
    Have an excellent Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be the perfect houseguest if you turned up with your mop Dani! I really love the floors so far, I'm very pleased with how hardwearing they're already proving to be. Have a wonderful Christmas too xx

      Delete
  10. Completed just in time! Everywhere is looking organised already with flowers on the table too! Lovely wallpaper and lamp. Merry Christmas! I hope you manage to have a relaxing Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers turned up at the perfect time - gift from a client of Mr AV's! Still a long way to go, but we're getting there. Have a wonderful Christmas too miss b xx

      Delete
  11. Looking fantastic. Love the dark floor and the big sofas. We have just installed a Coco Flip light above our dining room table - Love it, its so sculptural. (our son is an architect and showed it to us). You colour palette is very similar to our recent renovation and like you, I am now seeking pieces to give a bit of colour. Our renovation has been finished for a while now - maybe two months - but I'm only just now feeling organised enough to begin enjoying it. When you are an organised person its a challenge living in chaos isn't it? Enjoy a lovely Christmas - glad your in!
    Tonkath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful light it would look stunning above a dining table. You're so lucky you finished well before the Christmas rush - it's been crazy here the past few weeks! Hope you enjoy your first Christmas in your newly renovated space Tonkath xx

      Delete
    2. We needed to be finished for our daughters wedding at home in the garden on Dec 14th. I was a savage project manager I can tell you! We did have a moment with scaffolding over one of the major garden beds that caused me some wakeful moments at night but thankfully the guys were very careful and did minimal damage. We did the outside painting ourselves to cut costs. Ours is a mud brick home - but quite modern and light with masses of windows even though its 30 years old. Having our son guide us was really good. He suggested some things I would never have thought of. It was great to have his expertise. I am an avid gardener so will look forward to the progress in your garden. Love the David Austins. Tonkath

      Delete
    3. A deadline is always good to keep things moving Tonkath! How lovely to hold your daughter's wedding at home. I love a personalised wedding, and there's nothing like being at a family home for that.
      I'm afraid the garden has been far from the front of my mind the past few months. I'm going to get stuck into it tomorrow I hope, and am looking forward to turning the dust bowl out the back into a green oasis xx

      Delete
  12. Looks wonderful - lovely proportions. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Heidi, so happy for you now it's all coming together! Have a wonderful Christmas! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Romy! Happy days here indeed. Have a great Christmas too xx

      Delete
  14. Buon Natale, hope Santa brings you chairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chairs this Christmas! But maybe in the new year. And hopefully before we break any more of them! Merry Christmas xx

      Delete
  15. Everything looks amazing Heidi. Love all your choices ... how exciting to be able to spread out after being confined to the front part of your house for so long! Enjoy all the space. I have finally finished everything ready for tomorrow ... rest of the family are asleep and I won't be too far behind. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! We are SO enjoying having all this space. It feels quite surreal after living in very small houses for so many years. Hope your Christmas day was wonderful and Merry Christmas to you and your family too xx

      Delete
  16. So excited and happy for you! Very envious of all the nooks and crannies for your kitchen things. Cool ideas the lino and metallic blackboard paint, the children will have so much fun.

    I love the outdoor dining area and how you've styled it for us ;) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked really hard to give the children a space they'll actually play in, rather than dragging their toys out to the living area and dumping everything there! Fingers crossed it works...
      Styling is definitely my forte. I'm sure the Interiors magazines are sending through offers via email as I type seeking my expertise! Merry Christmas to you too xx

      Delete
  17. Looking fabulous Heidi, can't wait for a drink on that terrace! Love our Leila, best sofa ever! Kate P xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come and survey the dust with us! Will have you all over v. soon. Wasn't sure if you had the Leila or the Bosko - best sofa, we're v. happy with it xx

      Delete
  18. Hi Heidi, I'm not sure if my last comment was submitted or not.

    It all looks fantastic. You must be very, very happy with all of it. We finally got our babas so I've been keeping a very low profile.

    Especially love the brass finishes in the kitchen. I have almost the same P&R tap and I've been very happy with it, just don't ask about the toliets!

    Looking forward to more progress - especially the garden.

    Kx (the-ex-theblogahousebuilt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi K - what do you mean "the ex- theblogahousebuilt"?? I hope you'll come back one day to update on your beautiful home... you left us all hanging with your stunning almost- done kitchen! Hope all is going well with the babies. Love that tap too - so easy to use, I had thought that a turn tap wouldn't be so easy as a mixer, but it's fantastic. Merry Christmas xx

      Delete
  19. Interesting bit about the lino! If I may ask, do you also engage the services of a gardener or do (all!) the work yourself?

    Cheers, A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi A, yes, we do all the garden maintenance ourselves, but it's teeny tiny at the moment with no cultivated back garden. We will get in landscapers to do the major stuff for the back garden, but I do all the weeding/ planting/ mulching/ pruning etc and Mr AV does the mowing. He likes mowing the lawn for some reason! xx

      Delete
    2. I'm impressed! :) Hubby and I aren't green thumbs and not much experience with gardens but we are considering purchasing a place with a big garden and a fair bit of roses. We may be biting off more than what we can chew.

      Delete
  20. Everything looks wonderful Heidi! Congratulations. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your home is beautiful! Love the oversized artwork above the side cabinet too. And I need one those cutlery dividers, when we renovated our kitchen the cabinet guys didnt have one to fit so we have been left with an empty drawer and cutlery is every which way which is so messy and annoying! Its always the little things the details that make the end result worth while ... in this case ... I need a cutlery divider!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Heidi, love the floors! We are updating our kitchen, and thinking about Linoleum. Only trouble is I haven't seen it in any of the mainstream flooring stores in Adelaide - do you know where I might find it? We are in Rose Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I used Terrace Floors, and they have some on the showroom floor. They're quite used to people coming in to look at it based off my blog I think! My colour has been discontinued, but there was a newer range released soon after called the concrete range that has a lot of similar colours in it. Hope that helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.