I thought I'd do a separate renovation update, as the end of the week posts are getting long. Plus the people interested in the renovation aren't necessarily interested in pictures of me in dresses babbling on about the Opera or whatever, and vice versa.

Lots has happened this week. Firstly, little S's bedroom wardrobe unit was installed. I designed this along the wall that has the window. He's really got the dud room in the house - it's the smallest of all the bedrooms in the house and it faces South, so gets limited natural light (despite what these pictures suggest). It's also been made even smaller as I carved off a corner to make a Powder room/ cloakroom for guests...

So, to make efficient use of the space, and still keep a reasonable amount of floor area for playing, I stacked all the things I needed to accommodate along the wall - a seat, wardrobe and desk with bookshelves. The bed and bedside table will go on the opposite wall, and there'll still be enough floor area for him to play.



On the right is the desk. It has book shelves above it, and will have a pinboard at the back for him to put all those endless award certificates they get given these days. As he's 3, the desk is really not needed for a long time, but he can draw at it, and it will come in use soon enough. 



In the centre is the bench seat. It has a concealed hatch and room for long term storage of blankets etc. I'm going to have a seat cushion made up, and it will be a comfy place for him to read or sit and contemplate.


Here's a bad picture of the inside of the wardrobe on the left - the light was creating a lot of glare.


His room has been all painted and is ready for the carpet installation this week. Then the wallpaper will go up, and the light fitting. I also ordered the fabric for his roman blind and bench seat, it's China Sea's Aga reverse in turquoise, shown below on the right as wallpaper


He's getting a very colourful room, and has been very interested in helping me out with the selections and choosing colours etc. For the new bed and bedside table, I'm thinking he'll get this from Lilly and Lolly. Currently he's still sleeping in the cot (as a junior bed, but still... the cot - there's no room for an extra bed in his sister's room).


 The powder room that has been carved out of a corner of that bedroom has had the panelling installed, ready for painting. It still has to have the skirtings attached. This is a hard room to photograph as it's so small!



Out in the back room, it's been cleared out as the plasterers finally finished!! Hooray - and end to the dust is in sight! Painting will continue this week, and should be finished fairly quickly we're hoping.



The light is very nice in this room - having windows on all 4 sides of the room makes a huge difference.

We had the electricians here this week. They've wired up a bunch of stuff, and started installing the flushed wall lights. Here they are down the stairs to the cellar and home office




And above is how I've done them on the walls in the living area. I didn't want things sticking out of the wall, so I'm happy with how these look - we just mounted two together.




Outside, the roofers have finished off most of the flashings etc - all they've got left is the veranda roof, which should be done this week. The renderer has almost finished the grey render (it finally arrived from Melbourne after 6 weeks) and the detailing on the outdoor dining area has almost been finished. I'm not sure they'll do the veranda post detailing etc until January - we're still waiting on the slate for paving to arrive from Mintaro (why is it that Mintaro is only 2 hours up the road, yet we could've got the Chinese slate shipped faster?? And lets not even talk about the price differential...)



 view from the scaffolding


And one big step forward is that with all the messy plastering being finished, they've cleared out the living area, and we actually got to sit around our dining table last night to eat dinner! Hooray! The weather has been unseasonably cold most of the time the past 4 weeks, and eating outside on the veranda at our outdoor setting has been cold. Particularly at breakfast time when it's often been 13C and the kids are all shivering.



It's also a milestone as this is the first time, ever, we've sat at our dining table where it hasn't been pushed up against a wall on one end as our dining areas were too small to properly accommodate a 10 seat table.

 So, little steps forward, and slowly we're getting there! 

25 comments:

  1. Loving the height of those ceilings and that glorious sky light. I am loving that Adore Image and wish I done T's room more like that would looks put together and fresh and colourful with ever jarring. Love that furniture I can see for your dining, can't wait to see it all decorated. You really have a vision for where everything will go, I do not have that one whit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ceiling height makes the biggest difference - high ceilings just make a room feel spacious.
      I love that Adore image too. It's good that S's pushed me to have orange in his room (for the wallpaper), as his room is going in a very colourful direction, which reflects his personality well and is completely different to the other two's bedrooms. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Heidi,
    I love the joinery in S's room. Looks beautiful and extremely functional. Love that it is future proof. I think his room is still a lot bigger then my 2nd bedroom. Loving the panelling in the powder bathroom. I don't know what flashing is, but cool to hear it is nearly done. That sucks about the slate. I am so depressed with Australia. I want so badly for us to manufacture and sell products, but they really make it all to hard and for overseas competitors so easy. It isn't right. It will be so beautiful when it does arrive. Your outdoor dining area is SO GRAND!!! How beautiful for your family meal at the table! What did you make this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was standing right back in the doorway, so it might look bigger than it is - you can't see the walls for the powder room. But it's still a big enough room for a child!
      The slate is very frustrating. I think, due to cost, that Mintaro really only does big commercial projects in Adelaide now (and billiard tables), so they get the slate first. Our order has been in for a few months, and they'll say vaguely that it will arrive next week... then nothing happens. Plus it's 3x's more expensive than the Chinese slate. But I had that thing about using local materials (something you're supposed to do in Architecture), and the slate is much more beautiful than the Chinese stuff... so we wait. xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! You'll have to fly over for the first dinner party! xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Heidi, it all looks absolutely stunning!! I love the furnishings and decor that have been picked out for your son's room. The windows and the high ceilings are so incredibly gorgeous. The renovations may seem slow to you but there has been a huge amount of progress in just this past little while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I'm actually quite glad I'm blogging about it, as it forces me to take photos once a week, and when I compare them to the week before I can definitely see the difference. When you're living in it, nothing seems to change, so you're right, a lot of progress has happened! xx

      Delete
  5. I really like the seat at the window and I really like Roman blinds. Im a bit sick of those white wooden slated window coverings ...everywhere I go it seems

    Sorry Heidi just one criticism I really cant stand the phrase powder room.. is it used a lot in the architectural world in Australia now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shutters are taking over the world! I think Australians love them as they are not as fussy looking as curtains, and can give privacy. But I agree... they're everywhere.
      I think powder room is the commonly used term now in Australia. Cloakroom is an English term that is not known so much. On plans an Architect would just write W/C, but with clients I think that would be the most commonly used term now. Agree, it's not ideal! xx

      Delete
    2. Powder room sounds so American to me ..I know I 'm fighting a tide that can't be stopped .

      Love the way you give us all such considered answers

      Delete
  6. We used to manufacture many things here...a lot of industries were protected by placing tariffs on overseas products. I think the Whitlam government in the 70's started to dismantle tariffs.. and then of course we are signatories to free trade agreements. Australian companies also manufacture O/S in order to compete with
    imported cheap stuff.

    I live in fear of us becoming one big nation of baristas ..//seems like it in the eastern suburbs of Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of factors that have come into play with our manufacturing and industry. It makes me sad that we can't produce local product competitively. But when you look at stone, for instance, our labour is so expensive that the quarries have minimum staff, and the cost is so much higher than Asian quarried stone. But... the Asian quarries are not safe working environments, usually pollute highly, and pay their workers slave wages by comparison to Australian quarries. I feel very uncomfortable about the whole thing, and it was a factor in why we used Mintaro slate, rather than the Chinese slate. We would've been able to do the entire interior floor area, plus exterior for the same cost as the Mintaro slate though... xx

      Delete
  7. Hurrah - a milestone done! How exciting. It is looking so good Heidi! I love a bench seat - no where for me to put one though so envious of your little one. It is going to be amazing with the outside space - mind you that is another whole project in itself it looks. I hope you are in planning stages already? Yes the slate thing is odd indeed and economists should learn from that scenario alone the world's financial woes. My stone floor is being held up for various cosmic reasons...First was some snow in the French Alps( coming from Italy) and then a union strike in France. Note to self - next time don't involve France in any way shape or form. Oh well...Your first party there is going to be soo cool. Very excited for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've loved a bench seat as a kid, so I'm sure he will too. We've got the plans drawn up for the garden, but yes.. that's my project for next year! We have to do a pool and the landscaping. Then I'll start planning the garage in the back corner (but that will be a few years away, it will just take a while to draw up and get through council planning).
      Feel bad for you re European problems! I can assure you I always HATE ordering anything from Italy, as you know it is a minimum 4 month wait, and could be up to 10 months if you hit their shutdown for the month of August, plus they've gone on strike or something. Unfortunately most of the nicest furniture/ marble/ lighting comes from there, so you're somewhat over a barrel. Fingers crossed your stone arrives soon. xx

      Delete
  8. I love your house. Will you please come over to Canada and design one for me? All of this is making me want to move. The built-in cupboards in your little guy's room are fabulous. And I love a window seat. This has been really interesting to see your progress and yay for dinner around the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh - I'd love to come over to Canada for work... international designer sounds more glamorous than Adelaide designer!!
      I'm so happy to sit at an indoor dining table again Dani! It's put me in a much better frame of mind. The next step towards sanity will be when we get rid of the dust...xx

      Delete
  9. Oooh! Love it ALL! I am your dream reader (or actually, you are my dream blog!) as I love the renovation updates but also the fashion/food/lifestyle elements. It is all looking so magnificent - love the steel doors and windows (although we possibly shouldn't mention them at present, I think they're going to be worth all the drama?). Love the dramatic ceiling height and the 'lantern' - how gorgeous - it must feel like an amazing space to be in. Fireplace is stunning. Joinery in your son's room is elegantly streamlined and practical and I really love the window seat. I have always wanted one but no luck so far. You're making me want to move/renovate (again)/extend. Yes, I would do it all again (it's been a year - the mental scarring has faded!). I had lots of constraints (budget of course) but mainly due to space as we could only afford the renovate the existing house footprint. We did rejig a couple of areas for better more practical use but your extension is so inspiring. Interesting comment about the powder room - is there another term for a toilet/basin area without a shower/bath? I assume that's what it is? That's what I take powder room to mean - I use this term all the time to describe that sort of space (sorry smr!). Can't wait to see more progress. Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the damn doors will be worth it in the end. I still am at the hating them phase at the moment (agree that they do look good, but oh boy, the difficulties!!). I really, really love the feel of the living room.. It feels light, spacious and peaceful.
      Don't move thought Tammy! You need to enjoy all your hard work for a couple of years yet! I can't say I've got another renovation in me for a long time... I just want to sit back for a while after this! Another term for powder room is a cloak room, but that's English and most Australians don't know what it means (think its a room to put coats or something). But it's not a bathroom as you can't shower in it at all, so you get a bit stymied as to what to call it! xx

      Delete
  10. Looking wonderful already! Will be absolutely superb when finished! So exciting.

    In regard to cloakroom, my memory of cloakrooms in England were that they were just that, a space (eg in a university college, library or whatever) for hanging coats, hats. Sometimes located in an area adjacent to toilets but not always. Not sure what's wrong with the term "powder room"? A euphemism of course - and rarely used for powdering the nose. But still. Makes clear it's a room for guests to use rather than the family bathroom. When I lived in the UK (years ago) most people (women anyway) just seemed to call all toilets the loo - and the powder room was generally called the "loo in the hall" or the "guest loo". I believe it used to be more "u" to call it a lavatory, but maybe that's a bit dated now. Pamela xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is looking so good Heidi. Loving S's window seat. Your dining table suits the space nicely. We were out for dinner last night with my husband's business accountant and he actually asked me what a W/C was - he had never heard of the term before!! Have a great week. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! I have such house envy!
    I'm sure you know this, but it really is amazing...
    And congrats on being able to sit round the table for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've hit that point where it's all starting to really come together which must be so exciting. It looks so grand already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love window seats….such a romantic notion, but ever such a lovely spot to curl up with a book…lucky children! It's all looking very exciting…you really won't know what to do with yourself when it's all finished, just imagine…no stress of wondering when it will be finished and no more dust….bliss!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I'll be at a loose end next year. I've forgotten what my hobbies were after 4 years of chaos and renovations (and three little children who will all attend educational establishments next year!). Agree with you about the window seat. My favourite thing to do is sit and stare out of the window. So really, it's for me! It has a nice view of the pretty crab apple tree too xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.