Well, the crazy weather in the Northern Hemisphere with the Polar Vortex and major floods in the UK has been matched in a very small way by the crazy weather we've been having in Adelaide lately. This week, Adelaide set a new record for the most number of days over 40C (and our hottest month is traditionally March, so that bodes well...), but the very next day we had the largest rainfall in a single day for the past 45 years. It set some sort of record in general for February, and caused widespread flooding. 

Coming on top of the crazy wind storm/ tornado type thing the previous week that felled trees all over the city and cut off power for up to 3 days to some homes (60,000 homes had power cuts), I think we've had our fair share of strange weather events. 

rising water over the floor...

At the AV house, we experienced a bit of minor flooding - the walls of our cellar were weeping water as the ground was so wet. This has never happened before in the 3 years of living here, the cellar has always been bone dry. Mr AV's home office was also nearly flooded as a result of the brand new sump pump, which had been hastily  installed by the plumber, failing and needing to be replaced. Coupled with a few deluges from blocked gutters (due to the wind storm the previous week), there was a reasonable amount of drama here on Thursday. Fortunately things are drying out, and we've suffered no significant long term damage. I spent a bit of time on Saturday throwing soggy cardboard boxes that had contained wine out, and drying out a small patch of new carpet that was fairly sodden (thank God, again, that our carpet is charcoal coloured).

Aside from that it's been blissfully quiet here this week. We are waiting for a few orders to come through, plus with the heat and rain other things outside were put on hold. A few builders would come and go fairly briefly each day, but I largely had the house to myself. 



The new mirror splashback was installed in the laundry, it reflects a lot of light around, and reflects the butterfly wallpaper opposite it, and I'm really pleased with it. I spent a bit of time organising the cupboards and am finally sorted in there.



The plumber came and installed the washer/ dryer. One of the washing machines is an 8KG washing machine, and the other is a washer/dryer combo. I rarely use the dryer, so having two washing machines was of more use to me, and the dryer will just be used to finish off towels and in emergencies. I just need to get the ceiling mounted laundry airer up this week, and it's all finished.


hard to get a decent picture of it due to the angle

The new door to the cellar was installed. The original timber door had been taken off years ago and was rotting in the old stairwell, so the replacement door is an aluminium framed glass door with vents at the base (for good cross ventilation in the cellar to stop rot). It also has a lock on it. This is forward thinking for when the children are older....


during the flood

Mr AV's home office had the light well lined in mirror, and will have the trellis put up over it sometime this week hopefully (screwed to the timber battens you can see between mirrored panels). It reflects a lot more light into the room with the lid off it (to stop people from falling in until we put a proper grate over it), and it doesn't actually feel like an underground room. Here it is with the minor flooding problem going on and lid on. 



Outside, we've been staring fairly morosely at the mess in the back garden. Hopefully this will get a site clean up this week, and then I'll have to tackle weeding the garden beds, whipper snippering the remaining lawn and pruning the hedges. It's all a bit feral at the moment. 




Aside from the mess on the home front, we've had a social week with a few meals out. Wednesday night saw us out celebrating a friend's birthday at Singapore House. I haven't been since it opened around 4 years ago (no idea why not, the food is great), and it was buzzing mid week.


both images via

Saturday night saw us out at a Charity dinner with friends at a private house, which was great fun, and then today we went for Yum Cha at Citi Zen with my family. The Yum Cha there is really good, and after stuffing ourselves we walked it off in the nearby Veale Gardens in the South Parklands. Lots of Roses to look at, and waterfalls to keep the children away from. 



I wore this dress which fortunately has enough stretch to be forgiving of my expanded waistline after lunch. I might do a blog post about it mid week, as it was a good buy.




 Hope you had a happy week, and I'll leave you with a virtual Pimms.



Cheers!


35 comments:

  1. 1. great orange rose

    2. fab blue frock

    3. cute kids in the park

    4. that wall paper and laundry is STUNNINGGGG!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my laundry now. It feels very soothing to be in there (complete opposite of doing laundry on the veranda). All my roses have fried in the heat. This is the only one left! xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures and love the picture with all of the butterflies on the wall! We've had our basement flooded once and it was terrible! same thing as yours - global warming is not our friend.. your dress looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely global warming has a hand in all of these weird weather events around the globe. I was very glad that the plumber had insisted we install a floor grate in the old cellar floor. At least there was somewhere for the water to go! xx

      Delete
  3. Re. cellar door and kids. I thought you meant to lock them in the cellar (in a joshing way) rather than what I now realise which was to keep them away from your wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, I'm not that mean...! Mr AV and I remember swiping the odd bottle from our parent's cellars, so we thought we'd prevent the good bottles disappearing in future!

      Delete
  4. I always put mirrors on a splashback ( if allowed!) so it looks amazing Heidi.
    Sorry to hear about all the weather issues - honestly what is going on all around the world?? These weather patterns are causing concern everywhere it seems. I hope it gets sorted soon and the wet weather was of use to some farmers at least?

    Love a dimsum. It isn't as common here to do it as in Oz but I uphold the tradition anyway.

    Kids in the park are so sweet! Love the dress on you too but I have piled in on with the winter hibernation that a belt is a no-no!! But loving all the pics xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done the mirrored splash back - it would be great in London though with the low light levels, so very clever of you to have always done that. The weather is just bizarre. No where near as bad as you're experiencing (although the heat is horrendous)We hadn't had rain for a long time, so it was good to get some. Just too much for one day. Don't people do Yum Cha in the UK? I love the dim sum, but the radish cake there is so good (and the shallot pancakes). I haven't worn that belt since around 1997. I can't guarantee it's on the same notch though! xx

      Delete
  5. Cheers big ears! The weather has been horrendous here, luckily Scotland has had a really mild winter.
    Je is weeping, you have a life for frocks - I so do not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following the flooding/ storms in the news - just unbelievable. You're very lucky it's been milder up North. Frocks are a necessity in hot weather (although that one is more for cooler weather. I'm living in sundresses at the moment (and heartily sick of them all) xx

      Delete
  6. Yes, crazy weather!!! We live in a rather warm climate (SC, USA) so we rarely get snow - and last week we saw about 6-8 inches of it over three days! Then two days later and earthquake! A little nervous for the summer... Our neighbors are doing a bit of work on their house (they took a bit off and are adding a whole lot on) so everything is open and exposed; they've also had extra problems with flooding and temperature extremes. Maybe better now than in a few years while you're on vacation? And how lucky that it was only a few cardboard boxes instead of important papers or other keepsakes? Good luck with the backyard, you might see feral but I see potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow in the South is so bizarre! An earthquake too?? Well, seems we've all had our share of weird weather. Your poor neighbours, there's nothing worse than being exposed to the elements during a bit of unexpected weather. We were very lucky it wasn't major flooding or difficulties with contents in those two rooms (would have been a disaster if all the wine labels washed off!!!). The backyard has potential... just a LOT of work involved in it. And I've definitely hit the point where I'm a bit fatigued by the whole thing xx

      Delete
  7. I couldn't bear seeing myself bending over the sink in that mirrored splash back but love the way butterflies are free in the room ..lots of butterflies on the wall at that restaurant too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the taxidermy butterflies on the walls in Singapore House, but wonder where they found them in such quantity? I only ever see the odd one or two here or there, and they're all different.
      I have to admit, there's not a lot of bending over the sink for me - I put everything through the machine, even the hand wash and woollens. I'm quite lazy like that (plus the machine does a better job than I!) xx

      Delete
  8. It must be lovely to have the home to yourself. I often work at home and my nanny takes the girls out to their activities and I find I get so much done. The laundry is amazing. Love the light, wallpaper, mirror, etc. New dress is fab too. Love the décor in the restaurant.
    I'm glad you didn't suffer more with your flood: that would have been terrible after all of your hard work. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been very strange to have the house to myself (but nice!). I'm so used to being interrupted 20 x's a day that not having any noise/ questions/ people around has been blissful. I am really enjoying the laundry, but now have to crack on with sorting out other places that are a bit of a mess. Gradually I'm getting on top of it all! We were very lucky with the water - if anything it was a good test for the Home Office waterproofing. We've always been a bit nervous about it, so it was good to see it was all watertight, and that in the end the sump pump worked and did its thing! Hope you've managed to stay dry in London Charlotte! xx

      Delete
  9. Love that huge backyard! Really like the look of the back of the house, your dress and that mirror. The weather...crazy all over the world. I think Adelaide is beautiful but I really couldn't handle the long hot summers, Melbourne is hot enough for me. Every summer I say, I wish I lived in Tassie!
    Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had an unusually hot Summer Linda. I must say, after being in Melbourne for so long, I found the first Summer back here hard work! I'm not sure I could ever live in Perth where it's that couple of degrees hotter again. Thank goodness for air conditioners! xx

      Delete
  10. The laundry looks stunning Heidi! Anything to make that chore happier is always good! I'm toying with the mirror idea for my laundry too. It doubles as a kitchenette so I think it will add some swish to the area. I've used the concept in client's homes with great success before but haven't lived with it myself; the true test! Bugger the flooding; glad it didn't undo all the hard work! The weather is odd isn't it. My daughters are in Japan and twice they've been travel bound by unprecedented snow storms! I read that the UK and USA weather patterns are linked by that Vortex thingy. Love the big tree in your yard. It will look magnificent when landscaping is done; nice to have something big and mature in a new garden! Cheers to you and enjoying some calm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go with the mirror KL - it will match your cushions! You have such a glamorous aesthetic going on with your place it will really look fab I think. We've had family in Japan too, and yes, the snowstorms there have been crazy (plus they have an influenza A outbreak there, so fingers crossed your girls don't get it). The kids call the tree The Faraway tree, and it is a bit like it - except no fairies living in it, only possums! xx

      Delete
    2. Yes! I might've bought too mant though in my excitement! As I do.... I hadn't heard about the flu epidemic! Omg....more to worry about! The girls loved the faraway tree....as I did, but j didn't want a bar of it....mr moon face would be so sad. Your tree is of the sort to definitely conjure up some imaginative play. Or real life escapades!

      Delete
  11. The laundry butterflies are just fabulous!
    I've been watching your weather on my trusty weather app and it has been so hot! Poor you, and sorry to hear about the flooding. My in-laws suffered terrible flood damage in the UK recently, and are still trying to dry stuff out. With any luck your house will dry out soon and the weather will calm down.
    Sydney has had a very mild summer so far - hardly a day over 30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere else seems to have had a mild Summer, except for us - I can't work it out. I keep looking at Perth and thinking, but if it's 30 there, surely we'll have 27 the next week here? And instead it will be 40. We seem to be getting our weather from the centre (and the desert). After the flood last week it was unbelievably humid, definitely felt like the weather was coming down from Darwin. Hope your inlaws are ok with the unbelievable weather they've been having in the UK - certainly they seem to have major flooding as a yearly event at the moment. xx

      Delete
  12. The weather thing is ridiculous... My son was at the Cycle race a couple of weeks ago and just escaped your week of hell... funny that I always think of you when they mention Adelaide on the news!! I think your laundry is adorable... perhaps you'd hate this word to describe it!!... I love the butterflies and what an uplifting space to spend time in. Cute kiddies in the garden and at least it's autumn soon so you can get stuck into the back garden and have a chance of the planting surviving!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very lucky with the Tour to have had such pleasant weather, it's been pretty awful ever since! I really am loving my laundry. Having never had a laundry before, the novelty of having a room devoted to it has not worn off, and the butterflies are very cheering. The garden is going to be a big project I fear. I'm planning to do a lot of propagating of plants myself to try and save a bit of money, but we have to have a truckload of aggregate and sand taken out from the builders before we can start on improving the soil. Hope all is going well at your placexx

      Delete
    2. Have a look at Woodbridge Nursery online - they are in Tasmania... have great selection of plants and post them really well.xx

      Delete
  13. Garden fried here too. The plants are just hanging in there!

    Love, love, love the laundry!


    Hope everything else well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bad Summer for the garden. Although the rain does have an upside... even if it would have been better to have it spread out a little more over a week or so! All good here, hope all is well on the farm? xx

      Delete
  14. I think I would live in that laundry! Fabulous. Letitia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Letitia! I am loving having a separate laundry and all the space xx

      Delete
  15. The back of the house looks really great. You've done a grand job! The laundry is pretty!!! Must be a joy to be in there. Sorry to hear about the flooding!! Gosh. One extreme to the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I must say doing the laundry is very pleasant indeed now - so different to using the old bathroom and the verandah after that. It has been one extreme after another with the weather. It's a mild week this week, and I am LOVING it. Such a contrast to all the heat we've had xx

      Delete
  16. I've been enjoying your blog for a while now (especially the very useful house advice, as we struggle with our own renovation plans) but this is my first ever comment.

    I grew up around the corner from Singapore House and, without doubt, this is the best restaurant - both food and decor - at that location for over 40 years (although I still have a soft spot for Swains Seafood, my first restaurant experience). Although I haven't lived in Adelaide for many, many years my parents still live in the same house and we regularly visit Singapore House when we're in Adelaide. A really good interpretation of the Black and White Singapore houses - and the butterfly room is a favourite for kids' birthday dinners. Lovely to see it in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it's a great Black and White interpretation. A few of my friends have spent periods of time living in Singapore, and love going there as they feel the interiors, plus the food, are so good and so redolent of their time living there too. It's always got large groups in there, so I think it's a popular place for family meals or big groups of friends, and so good to have a place that is buzzing mid week in Adelaide (and not stacking chairs on the tables at 9pm as a few other places have done when we've been out for dinner). Good luck with your renovations, hope you have a relatively smooth build xx

      Delete
  17. That's one hell of a glam laundry!! Sorry to hear about all the mayhem and damage…craziest summer ever….

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.