I haven't done a weekly update for a while. Frankly, my life has been rather dull and routine of late, and I don't have anything exciting to update on. We are sorting through the defects list with the house (almost finished, just have a couple of lights left to hang… if the damn cables ever materialise from Italy - it's been 5 months now!!), so I still have the occasional builder around, and I've been productively spending my free time sorting out all the accumulated dust from the renovation in the front of the house, and organising in the new spaces in the back. 




But last weekend my sister and I accompanied our Dad to a Black Tie dinner. I finally got to wear this Lela Rose dress, bought heavily discounted early last year when I was going through a cocktail dress purchasing phase. It's a hard dress to photograph. To save you all a lot of shots of my armpit, this is the best I managed to get! It's got a fab ruffly shoulder thing, and is in a flattering shade of champagne coloured silk. The neckline doesn't work with a necklace, but I wore my pearl drop earrings, and a gold bangle and cocktail ring, my gold clutch and gold glitter soled shoes.


The dinner was fun, although the family pathology showed through - we three were the first to arrive. We all harbour a fear of being late, but this was slightly extreme as we were all 15 minutes early. We had to cool our heels with a glass of champagne... or two…. until the other Dinner attendees arrived. 

I haven't done a lot of clothes purchasing this past few months - another thing I've been quiet on. Instead I've been keeping my eye on the main game with furniture and garden purchases. Truth be told I think I may have reached a state of Wardrobe Nirvana for Winter - I haven't felt like I needed to add anything more to what I already had from last Winter, plus a couple of sale purchases in January and February. I did, however, decide to buy this APC chambray tunic style dress for next Spring a few weeks ago. I've been wearing it transeasonally with a Cable Melbourne merino top under it and with black opaques and black knee high suede boots. I quite like APC - it's a French brand that has very simple lines and is quite pared back in the detail in their clothing. 




In house news, the garden has not progressed much. It's been an inauspicious start - the Landscaper has been caught up finishing off another job, and so we have had mud in our back garden for the past few weeks after they started with the heavy machinery and then stopped again. It's not been great from my perspective with the kids (they like it, needless to say). We've also found the neighbours cat seems to have enjoyed walking around on our back veranda, and sleeping on the swing seat. I found paw prints as evidence….

Attractive side garden


Back garden - mud with trampoline marooned in the middle


cat visitor evidence


The Jam factory sent a photographer around yesterday to take photos of the light fitting, so I seized the moment when I had the entire living area devoid of clutter, and the kids chairs, to take some photos myself. I had lugged the enormous TV out of the room earlier in the day, and my GOD it looks so much better without it. I can't wait until we sort out the TV situation. I'm planning to do some custom cabinetry with a pop up feature in it, so the TV will be hidden most of the time, unless it's actually being used. That way it won't block the window permanently - as it does at the moment. I am going to send these photos to Mr AV to hopefully move this up on the long list of things to spend more money on….










Sorry, that's probably photo overload. But I do love this light fitting so much! 

S's bedroom furniture arrived this week, and he was incredibly excited. Here's a shot of his bedside table made out of Tasmanian Oak with a lamp I bought that fortuitously matches his blind colour perfectly - it was from Freedom Furniture. I never spend a lot of money on lamps for the kids as chances are it will not make it through to the time when he eventually leaves home (although that is some time away, given he is currently 4). I'll take some proper room photos and do a before and after on this room, our former kitchen, soon.



All three children have had new bedlinen purchased in the mid year sales. E's is a particularly pretty set from Yves Delorme, we did a Mother/Daughter shopping trip into the city one Saturday afternoon and E took her little pink market trolley with her. We must have looked suspicious as we were trailed by the store detective through David Jones. 


This weeks flowers are a bunch of cabbages. I thought they'd look reasonably neutral for the photos the Jam Factory wanted to take. I've also got another Orchid…. I'm hopeful the three that have finished flowering and that are currently living in the laundry will put out a new shoot, however with my track record I'm not holding my breath.



Lastly, I've been absolutely gripped by this book - Empty Mansions. Such a fascinating (real) story of the creation of one of the US's greatest fortunes, and the fate of the reclusive heiress who inherited it.  A definite recommendation from me.



Hope you've had a great week...

31 comments:

  1. love the dress and love the Yves delorme sheets and the fancy light! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks FF - always nice to finally have an occasion to wear a special dress! xx

      Delete
  2. Why would one stay at a hospital for twenty years when you have all those beautiful homes??? Must be an interesting read bc the snippets about her are rather quirky.

    Love the APC although the simplicity of the dress makes it hit or miss body shape wise. My figure needs loads of distractions so can't pull that kind of thing off like you can.

    Not to be overly philosophical but routine and humdrum is nice in life. Exciting can be hard work either way!
    PS love how crisp everything is looking in the house. Those lights really put a stamp on everything!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so interesting - not only the making of the fortune, but about her and her life. She was apparently quite disfigured in the end through melanoma on her face, so that may have been why she didn't leave the hospital. I am only 1/3 through, but it's so fascinating!!
      I know what you mean about severe lines, but I do like the APC cut, it's deceptively simple.
      The lights make the biggest difference! Just ordered a coffee table today, and am thinking about lamps too, so it's slowly coming together. xx

      Delete
  3. Hello Heidi,

    First, your cocktail dress and those fabulous glittery heels look wonderful. It is so good to dress up every once in a while as it feels so very special and makes an evening so much more glamorous. It is rather sad these days, we feel that people generally do not take so much trouble to dress for an occasion.

    Secondly, your house really does seem to be coming on at a pace. Perhaps you do not notice so much difference as you see it every day but from our perspective it all seems to be coming together so well. Perhaps our solution for the television......get rid of it, we have not had one for thirty years.......might not be so popular with everyone in the house. But, it does solve the problem of where to put it. We have yet to see a glamorous looking television which is both decorative and yet does not dominate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hattatts! It is fun to dress up. I always make an effort when I go out to a restaurant, otherwise you never find occasions to wear something fun. There were all sorts in terms of dress at the dinner though, and this was also the case at the Ball I went to a few weeks ago, Black Tie means different things to different people I guess, but all had made an effort in one way or another.
      I know what you mean about not noticing the change in the house - I'm frequently shocked when people come over and comment on the wallpaper in the stairs for instance. I feel like it's been there for ages, but obviously not! xx

      Delete
  4. Your dining corner is so elegant! Love all the details, the fun painting with that giant tortoise, the table and the lighting. So inviting!
    thanks for sharing corners of your beyond beautiful house!
    laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! We love the painting - I could look at it for hours (well, I do, as I usually sit opposite it when we have Dinner or Breakfast!). xx

      Delete
  5. love the dress! and the APC shirt dress as well. I love the little shots of the kids' room - always so fun to decorate!

    I feel for you on the garden, especially with that darn cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is very frustrating. I just want it to be finished now! S's room has been fun - once I got over my reluctance to do orange (his choice of colour for the walls)! xx

      Delete
  6. Your quiet life sounds like bliss, it's been chaos around here with people visiting, dozens of kids pounding around and my MrBP suffering insomnia. I'm planning a weekend of clearing renovation dust and packing up for holidays (and hopefully sleeping)... your house is very inspiring, so calm and clean and well-organized. Once the back garden is sorted it will be paradise!
    That cocktail frock is seriously gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, after a year and a half of action packed everything, I've been feeling pretty weary the past few months. It's been nice to have a quiet few weeks to just catch up on all the mess in the house. I'm looking forward to having some green to look at out of my kitchen window. Goodness knows I spend enough time in there! I really do feel that a Lela Rose dress is in your future Dani. That one has all sorts of beautiful tailoring details in it. xx

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see your garden transformation and to get my hand on that book…..my garden needs a phenomenal mow/prune/weed and inspiration injection and I have been reading a beautiful book called 'Island Summers: Memories of a Norwegian Childhood' while daydreaming about islands and boat sheds! You look gorgeous in that dress! Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the APC dress, could you please let me know where you bought it from, I can't seem to find it on the net. Very simple and stunning.

      Delete
    2. Hi Romy - can't wait to show you the transformation!! You'd love the book, and I've got another on order that sounds right up your alley on Roses and France. If it's good, I'll def email you. Well, you're half way there with your own boat shed and islands - the book sounds lovely xxx

      Delete
    3. Hi Irene,
      The dress is the "Gina" and I bought it from Coggles (whom I'd never used before, but it arrived quite quickly) http://www.coggles.com/dresses-clothing/women/clothing/a.p.c.-women-s-gina-dress-bleu/10900767.html
      Good luck! x

      Delete
  8. Love the dress! Wish I could see the whole thing, now Im going to google Lela Rose, those ruffles are so cool in that greige colour - and how neat are the undersides of the shoes with the sparkles. Lovely idea about the cabbages. I thought those cat feet were the print, very post modern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd taken a photo of it when it first arrived, but I couldn't find it on the blog when I looked back. It goes to the knee, and the other side of the dress is sleeveless. It's hard to photograph yourself as when you lift an arm up it sort of distorts it a bit.
      Laughing at the cast post modern print! We've only just realised how much time the neighbours cat spends in our garden since we've renovated - it sets the sensor lights off outside constantly, plus the paw prints are everywhere in the mud! xx

      Delete
    2. HI Heidi, just actioned a post about auditioning summer things and included your frock photo and linked to you...(hope Ok to use photo, normally I ask and then people say yes its out there, you don't have to ask permission...so I'm never sure what protocol is??)

      Delete
    3. No problem at all Jody! And thanks, you're very kind to include me in your photo line up! xx

      Delete
  9. Sorry . . . photo overload. Wash your mouth out! No such thing!! LOL. I loved all the photos and well done you on lugging the telly out. I'm certain you've seen it. But Brooke Gianetti (sp?) Velvet and linen . . patina style. . yeh you know that lady? Her solution to the telly with the gracie wallpaper was just the BEST THING EVER!!!!!
    Oh the naughty kitty with the swing. My blood would boil. I crack it when I see a cat gracefully walking along the top of the fence. Not even in my yard, on my furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED that idea - so clever. Sadly, I can't do that in our room due to window placement. The pop up thing will work perfectly, it's just not a cheap solution (but neither is Brooke's with the De Gournay or Gracie wallpaper). In an ideal world, I'd not have a TV, but when I first mooted that with Mr AV it did not go down well. I've told him the tv will have to be smaller in general to fit in the cabinetry and he wasn't so happy about that either… if he could he'd have a tv on every wall of the house, I'm sure, blaring away on the business/ news/ sport channels. xx

      Delete
  10. Love love your blog, house and thoughts . How clever are you on so many fronts ! Please keep up the inspirational work.
    P.S. I went on THE garden tour with FF, R, and P last year ..wish you had come too ! It would have been so much fun to meet you in person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am still SO ENVIOUS of all those who went on the great garden tour last year. I wanted to go desperately, but May is not a good month, and for a bunch of reasons I couldn't do it. Still Sad, have heard how much fun it was. xx

      Delete
  11. Heidi that cocktail dress is so beautiful. Love the shoulder ruffle detail and the colour. So pleased you're having a few quiter weeks and do love it how the children are taking such an interest in decorating their rooms. Little S sounds such a charmer and so fascinating. Just love watching the little ways children reveal their interests and indications of what they may be like as they grow older. Our own little girlies are so adorable - just love being a Nonna. Y
    Your light has so much style and pizaz! Love the idea of the popup Tv. Even here on hols the TV goes on first thing with all the business news , in the evening luckily I manage to play some of the super music cds you can get so cheaply here.
    That books sounds great- we all seem to share same reading tastes! Great to see something from Annie too! Hi A! Pammie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pammie, the quieter weeks have been long, long overdue. Little S is a total charmer - he has everyone wrapped around his finger!
      I have just booked a holiday without tv involved - camping!! I know, I am not a born camper, but I'm looking forward to no electronics, we all depend on it too much theses days. With any luck there won't be any mobile reception either, so Mr AV will be out of communication with the office for a few days.
      Hope the return home goes smoothly (relatively, given the strike!) xx

      Delete
  12. Clothes shopping , dont speak I feel too fat to do that at the moment but it has become necessary fro some items.

    That lamp in your son's room is great / why are nice lamps so hard to find, though not as hard as over head lighting.

    i dont mind the cat prints, that kind of stuff doesnt bother me, though the end of one of my sofas has got that just scratched look to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say it's been very unlike me to not feel any pull whatsoever to buy new shoes or clothes. I look at things, and then think I don't need it, so I let it go.
      Lamps are very tricky I feel. Lighting in general has improved significantly in the past few years in terms of choice, but nice and reasonably priced lamps are hard to find. I was very pleased with S's lamp - only $29.95, which considering how well it goes with his lamp is fantastic! xx

      Delete
  13. Nothing wrong with a bit of mundane routine Heidi, makes us appreciate the exciting bits just that little bit more! Besides always nice to frock up I think & when you have sparkles under your feet all the much better. Those shoes are just fabulous, I'm eyeing a pair of Jimmy Choos with lots of sparkles on them but I'm just not sure I can go to the price they are asking at DJs, have even looked at US sites & it still makes no difference. I can't even rely the cost per wear argument as I'm not doing those type of evenings the way I used to. First world problems. Anyway, enjoy your camping, you are braver than me on that front, we're off to the snow next week so busy gearing up for that & I'm taking the book you've recommended above. Your dining room is looking great with that beautiful light fixture & I saw on your Insta feed that your garden is progressing. Happy school holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been surprised at how much DJ's have dropped their pricing on all the designer goods - finally they seem to have worked out that they can't try to gouge their shoppers any more due to the Internet. Only took them around 7 years or so….
      The shoes sound lovely - you'd be surprised at how much wear you can get out of sparkly shoes too.
      You'll enjoy the book Engracia - and have a fab time at the snow - all the cold weather is worth it! xx

      Delete
  14. I went sans TV for half a decade....LOVED it! but men seem not to cope... your pop-up idea appears clever as long as no-one pops something on top? I am Soooo in love with your dinning fixture....was thinking same thoughts re $ dilema for here; custom making but you have mooved much faster than moi...proving it is possible. thxs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.