No, I didn't travel anywhere different this past weekend, but some friends (Faux Fuchsia, Romy and Pamela) came here to visit. So I led a tour of Adelaide padding the weekend full of all the things we share as common interests - our love of Gardening, Fashion, Eating, and Talking.

We spent the entire first day (Friday) at my house catching up. I had loosely planned to do some things in the afternoon (like some antique browsing), but put the four of us in a room together and we can talk for 8 hours instead. They toured my house (this did not take long), admired my garden (looking awful after the back lawn was top dressed the day before which unfortunately turned it back into a desert), ate a Chicken salad I made, and drank Tasmanian sparkling, and ate Tasmanian Macarons and Bruny Island cheese (delicious and spirited out of Romy's clearly cavernous carry on bag). That night we went to Bistro Dom in the city for dinner where the chatting and superior eating continued.



Saturday was the Garden day. We first drove up to Stirling to visit friends of my Dad and their beautiful historic garden. Stirling was a Hill Station town - laid out in the 1880's as a place where Adelaide families would move during the heat of Summer to escape the baking hot plains below. As the climate is so different to the city despite being only 20 minutes away (we have a much more Mediterranean climate on the plains) the planting all through the area is very English in feel - lots of cool climate plants like Camellias, Rhododendrons and deciduous trees, bisected by small lane ways dotted with former gardeners cottages and the half- hidden driveways leading to big old stone houses and their Victorian era gardens.



Stirling really does have its own climate - while it was mild in town up the hill it was spitting with rain in the morning and around 15C. Lunch in the Stirling pub to defrost was followed by a tour of my Dad's garden and afternoon tea where the sun fortunately came out.


a Cork Oak

The Rose Garden

Scruffy basking in the sun by the cottage border

The dogs bottom up hunting rabbits by the bridge and fountain

After all that eating we went to Magill Estate restaurant for a 7 course degustation. Frankly, I could have rolled down the hill home after dinner as I was so stuffed full. Thankfully I'd worn a dress with stretch (this navy blue lace over black Collette Dinnigan, but you can see the belt is straining...). Faux Fuchsia had on sequins (naturally), Romy was in tulle (naturally). Pamela was blinged up with silver and gold accessories. We had a fab dinner, it really is a very special place with the beautiful views over the vineyard and across the city below.

side on I looked 6 months pregnant after the day of feasting…


the cellar

Sunday was our last day all together, and we visited the Icons exhibition at the Art Gallery of South Australia. It's on until March and is excellent and was what prompted the trip in the first place. It's a collection of Couture from the Musee des Arts Decoratifs in Paris spanning the past 70 years, many of which have not left Paris before, like this iconic Dior Bar suit which launched the New Look. This was my only photo from the exhibition as after I took this the guard stopped me as you're apparently not allowed to….


They included this gold work embroidered Chanel Dress I featured in a blog post about embroidery a few months back. It's the costliest dress Chanel has ever produced and the design was based on the Coromandel screens in Coco Chanel's apartment. Apparently despite the price it was a huge hit with the clients and several versions of it were made up for Middle Eastern and Asian buyers. It was truly stunning in person. It's a fabulous exhibition, and a definite must see.



After that we went to the Botanic Gardens so that we could all visit the Digger's Club shop and so that they could see the beautiful Victorian- era Palm House, the National Rose Trial Garden, and the Meditteranean Dry garden.





Then too soon it was off to the airport and a farewell. I wish we'd had a couple more days as there is so much more to see and do in Adelaide…  Next time maybe.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend too.

27 comments:

  1. How fun! The gardens are amazing! Love your frock - the touch of lace is divine. It snowed here yesterday! Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! That's such a beautiful dress Wendy, very slimming which was a very good thing too!! Snow?? It seems like it wasn't that long ago that you got rid of it from the last season?!

      Delete
  2. It all looks amazing from top to bottom! You make Adelaide look a lot of fun too. Isn't scruffy gorgeous?! Adelaide is now on my list next trip down under!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adelaide is a beautiful, slightly underrated city and I loved being able to share it - you should definitely come and visit, we'd have so much fun!! Scruffy is pretty cute, if demanding for attention!

      Delete
  3. I'm in love with Scruffy! I had to pin him, he's so cute basking there. What a fun weekend and I'm sure you workshopped all the issues. Lovely gardens and the food sounds amazing. That Chanel dress is quite something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was completely posing for that shot Dani! We did not stop talking, and covered a lot of ground from books/ fashion/ roses/ food/ cooking and onto life in general. That Chanel dress is truly spectacular in person. But also tiny!! Those models are stick thin clearly. Some of the waist measurements on the 50's dresses were minuscule

      Delete
  4. Luffing this Down Under Z-Peg Summit...what a triumph for Hermes and MaiTai...I'll try any wheedle an invite for next years after I get my ZP ascot. Loving that navy dress on you Heidi and I well remember you featuring that ab-fab embroidered Chanel dress from a recent post....an all time great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well the day we wore our scarfs it was very Maitai as we each wore them differently, in different colours and (I don't think) didn't look too matchy which was nice!
      Would love to have you along next year with an ascot!! That Chanel dress was so beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have the funds that the Middle Eastern Princesses that bought it do, otherwise I would have ordered one myself. Then tried to find somewhere appropriate to wear it….!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you and the other bloggers had an amazing time. The gardens are just stunning. Love your dress with the blue lace, so pretty. Looking forward to the next Australian bloggers get-together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a fab time Louise! That dress is a great find, it's so comfortable and the cut of the navy lace is very flattering on. I can't believe it's been a year since our last blogger get together so next years will come around fast!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful weekend - love it all and it looks like you all had an amazing time. I hope it helped your blogging mojo!
    Can I ask where your champagne flutes are from? I am on the lookout for some and yours look lovely and reassuringly heavy, I expect.
    I'm appreciating all of the garden content so much more now that I finally have one of my own. Not many flowers at the moment, but rather we are in the 'preparing for winter' stage of the cycle. Lots and lots of leaves to rake, dead-heading and cutting back. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did help my mojo - but truth be told I have around 4 posts in my head but no time to type them out in the past 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll have a bit of a quiet patch before the Christmas craziness gets going. The flutes are Waterford Crystal, and I bought them at a local auction so they're an old pattern discontinued in the late 80's called Castletown. They were a great find as they look like they were never used, so were in immaculate condition - some still with the stickers on them.
      I'm sure you'll get right into your garden too Charlotte - it truly is the most satisfying thing to watch it all develop and bloom.

      Delete
  7. What a glorious weekend. Thank you for sharing it with us, Heidi.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bunch o great dames doing what they do best- being fabulous! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're too kind Cilla. It was a fab weekend and a lot of fun

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous weekend Heidi! The tiny waist on that Dior suit puts our easy way of dressing into perspective! And the gold Chanel... magnificent! A trip that leaves you wanting more is always a sign of great success! Thanks for sharing the pics and recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, all the clothes were so tiny KL - the waists on the 50's things were minuscule although the hips were quite big by comparison. I thought it would be a good idea to write it all out so that others might have a few ideas of what to do/ where to eat if they come to Adelaide...

      Delete
  10. So much to love in this post. My husband had a work conference in Adelaide last weekend. He raved about it. You look stunning in that Collette Dinnigan number x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A work conference that got raves?! That is incredible! He must've made it out of air conditioned conference rooms then! Thanks re Collette number. That was one of my renovation party dresses, and hasn't had much of an airing this year, but it's so lovely I think I'll have to try to get it out a few more times.

      Delete
  11. Heidi I'm so glad you could show the girls how beautiful Adelaide is and some of the great sights. I enjoyed the fashion icons immensely. That gold worked Chanel dress was special. You look good to me.
    Kind Regards
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, there is so much to see and do in Adelaide, and I really feel that most people in Oz are unaware of what's here, as they are unaware of other smaller cities besides Melbourne and Sydney.
      That exhibition is fantastic. I can't wait to go back with my 6 year old who was upset that she wasn't going with us! The other dress I loved was a 50's Dior evening with incredible beading and embroidery all over it. So much to look at in the exhibition.

      Delete
  12. Lovely to read the broadsheet v. tabloid accounts of the 'Adelaide' weekend by you and FF. It's fascinating to see what people include, and omit, in their personal stories.
    Adelaide certainly looks a treat at this time of year, especially the gardens, before the summer arrives. All you needed was a professional photographer to accompany you and it would be an article that the SA Tourism Commision would have been proud of.
    Must say though, I was surprised you didn't take your interstate visitors to the Central Market with your love of all things food! LOL
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always interested to see two sides to the same story, I agree! I think this is prime time in Adelaide gardens at the moment, before the burn of Summer arrives. As for my photos, well… that's definitely not my forte. I also spend most of the time forgetting to take any, so it was slim pickings from me on that front! We didn't have time to get to see more though otherwise I would have loved to squeeze in a few antique shops, central markets, another garden etc.. Only Friday we could have done a few more things, but as they'd all caught 6am flights and had been up since around 4am, we took it easy instead. We just needed a few more days… oh well!

      Delete
  13. Blimey Heidi, your weekend blogfest knocks our little London meetups into a cocked hat! It all looks so wonderful. The garden is heaven! And Scruffy is a screen star camera ready for 'The Artist'. Well it all looks so fab-u-lous, but we wouldn't expect anything less from you, FF and the ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly a lot more talking than yours Si! I can chat but between the four of us we just didn't stop all weekend!!
      The gardens are beautiful and it really feels like a world away from the city. Scruffy is indeed a poser - he is a people pleaser. My mum used to say with a sniff he was 'obsequies' as she preferred a more aloof dog!

      Delete
  14. thankyou for the most beautiful time- you went all out and we loved it all!! I am still trying to recreate your salad! Thanks Heidi! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Architect & Interior Designer. Mother of three. A sometimes Cook, Baker, Reader, Gardener, Fashion Lover, Renovator, Writer of random things in South Australia email me on anadelaidevilla@bigpond.com
Powered by Blogger.

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Things to read....

.